The Entity Portal: A new mechanic I thought that could stop a bit the genrush
The Entity Portal
Hi guys, I'd like to know what you think about this idea I've been thinking for a few days. I've spent a lot of time developing it, please tell me what you think!!!!
Entity portal: The Entity Portal is a new mechanic of DbD that I've thought. When the killer spawns, there will be always a portal in the middle of the opposite side of the map and another one in a position closer to the killer, like 35 meters. Above all, the portals will always appear near the edges of the map, never in the middle. The killer, at the early game, will be able to decide if he wants to teleport to the farest entity portal to quickly cross the map and start patrolling the most distant generators, or it can go on foot to patrol the generators that are in the middle of the map. Survivors' spawn will be modified so that they can appear in generators closer to the killer and not always in the furthest away, so that the killer will not always decide to teleport at the beginning of the game. In addition, the portal will not be located too close to the generators (less than 15 meters, for example), but not too far either. This would provide a reaction time for survivors repairing a generator too close to one of the portals. I'm still not sure if the survivors, no matter where they are, should hear a sound to warn them that the portal has just been used or is being used. This mechanic will help the slower killers (clown, trapper, leatherface...) to patrol generators in a more effective way and it will also help them to defend the furthest generators from the map in the endgame (when there are 1 or 2 generators left), which is when they suffer the most. Because we all have to admit that if you have one generator left, and there are 3 survivors alive, it is very difficult to sacrifice them before they finish the last generator with a killer with limited mobility. The mechanic of the entity portal would help killers to make very interesting moves in order to defend their generators. The portal would have a cooldown, but I'm not sure how much it could be. Maybe, 40 seconds?
Finally, it is worth mentioning that this new mechanic would be the replacement of the survivors' secundary objective that the community has been asking for so long, because thanks to the optimal use of this portal killers will have a new way to deal with the genrush.
On the other hand, I have thought about things that the survivors could do to counter this new mechanic of the killer. Survivors would be able to sabotage the portal to render it useless for 2 minutes. If the survivors sabotage the portal after all the generators are done, the portal would stay sabotaged for the rest of the trial. The action of sabotaging will be done in the same way as sabotaging a hook, only difference is that it will take about 30 seconds more and will give many more points of audacy to do so. Survivors will have a 8% chance of being able to cross the portal as the killer does, but if they don't succeed, they will be automatically put into dying state, without crossing it. If a survivor manages to cross the portal, he will receive a 3-second sprint burst for the emotion, causing exhaustion for 60 seconds. Now, Up The Ante (Ace Visconti's perk) will also increase the chance of crossing the portal by 1/2/3% without suffering damage to all the survivors for every survivor alive, and an additional 20% of luck to the owner of this perk. It is not stackable. In addition, the bearer of this perk would not go into an dying state if he fails his attempt, instead he would go into injured state. Survivors will be able to bodyblock the killer at the entrance of the portal(until they get hit, of course), either for the killer to lose time or to defend a survivor probably chased who dares to cross the portal.
I hope you like my idea!! In my opinion, this new mechanic would make the game A LOOOOT more fun and entertaining. If you want to ask or discuss something, don't feel shy, post a comment ;)
(sorry If my english is a bit broken btw <3)
Comments
Sorry, I don't feel that portals would be a good match to DbD's gameplay, style, atmosphere. :(
I'd prefer to give the survivors a 2nd objective and buff killers individually.
Gen rush isn't really a symptom of killer's not being able to move around faster, it's a symptom of the fact that when you are in a chase with 1 survivor the other 3 are relatively free to do what they want. I feel like this wouldn't do much to change anything because 1) survivors can spawn anywhere so it's kind of a moot system, and 2) gen rush can still potentially occur the moment a chase begins.
A better solution is giving the killer more tools to actually control the generators, and/or putting in "limiters" on survivor side that prevent gens from being done in less than something like 40 seconds regardless of perks, toolboxes, or number of survivors. I forget who I was watching (Puppers I think, but might have been Monto), but I saw a YT video a few days ago where 3 survivors got on a gen, at least 1 had PT and another had a toolbox. I checked the time stamps in the video. 25 seconds. Yep, they did a gen start to finish in 25 seconds. THAT just should never happen. Of course, the limiters need some exceptions, so maybe the limit would drop when a survivor dies to make it fair for survivors that NEED to do a gen super fast in some conditions, but the point is that killer's ultimately have 0 control over the gens, at least for the first 2 or 3 that get done. It's IMPOSSIBLE to protect 7 gens as killer, however it is entirely possible to protect 3 or 4 given that they aren't on complete opposite sides of the map. This is part of the reason I'm not a fan of the Gatekeeper emblem as it measures killer's success in something they don't have much control over at the start. If survivors rush 2-3 gens in your first chase, you now lost the opportunity to get iridescent emblem even if they don't do another gen and you 4k. This despite the fact that you technically did your job and stopped them from powering the gates.
I mean good effort writing this out and at least trying to solve the problem, but I don't see it making a difference in the end, sorry.
Teleporting killers is not the answer, neither is limiting repair speeds. That may work in red ranks a bit, but would devastate every other bracket.
Want to slow down gens? Give survivors something else worth doing. Secondary objectives that award BP, increase survivability, assist with end game, etc.
I mentioned a long time ago having various interactive things around the map like:
1. Mud pit- survivor spends 10 seconds covering themself with mud and gain 60 seconds of immunity to aura sight abilities the killer may have. Pit respawns after 180 seconds or so.
2. Murderous tools- survivors search toolboxes hidden around the map for an object used in horrible crime of passion. The Entity awards extra bloodpoint to any survivor who repairs a generator with one of these tools.
3. Entity's Chosen- In the first 90 seconds of the match, a dark rune will appear on the map. The first survivor to absorb the rune is given the Entity's blessing. That survivor repairs generators with a 10 percent debuff to their speed, but is able to locate exits and the hatch from anywhere on the map. Furthermore, if they are the last remaining survivor, they are able to open the gates as if all the generators were repaired. It takes 16 seconds to absorb the rune.
4. Oil Barrels- Survivors can cover themselves in oil in order to greatly increase their chances of getting off hooks, or escaping the killer's grasp by wiggling twice as fast. The blessing has a curse though. The survivor struggles to hold tools and slows down their gen repair speed. Oil stays on a survivor for 180 seconds at a time.
Etc, etc.
@Warlock_2020 No secondary objectives are not the answer. They will have a greater impact on lower ranks than higher ranks. High rank survivors will just find a way to rush the new objective resulting in a very small net gain, while lower ranked and newer survivors will be encumbered with a more difficult experience.
Limiting gen repair speed won't affect lower ranks because they don't tend to rush gens anyway. They don't optimize enough to hit the limit, so their gameplay is unaffected. However, it would affect higher ranks and force them to slow down, which is where these sorts of changes are actually needed.
I posted this twice by mistake and I don't know how to delete this discussion, anyone knows? :S
@MandyTalk can help you.
@thesuicidefox Pretty sure the Halloween event proved me right. All ranks were affected because even red ranks lost rank quickly as they were more focused on milking puss than doing gens.
Secondary objectives are the way to go. Tweak from there.
This wouldn't change anything. The problem is that survivors can easily have three generators repaired by the time you hook one, unless you're playing an insta-down killer, primarily due to looping.
That's because they wanted their cosmetics. Most survivors including myself would just do the plants and die on the hook. It proves nothing because people weren't actually playing the game.
Thank you!! I already asked her for help. Tomorrow I'm gonna answer to all of you who made a comment on the true post. I didn't have enough time today :c