Short chaces are better for the game
As killer you know what is the most frustrating thing? Being looped for 5 gens*
As survivor you know what is the most enjoyable thing? Mind gaming the Killer in a chase*
When you are pallet looping while it does require map knowledge, mechanical precision ect, you aren't really mind gaming the killer a whole lot. Some times you are but most of the time you are just doing the known optimal route while the killer is ALSO doing the optimal route. And in the end you just spent all of that effort to delay the inevitable without even doing anything interesting.
Meanwhile doing things like using Q&Q to lose the killer in a locker or DWM to remove the trail or even just juking the killer with a pallet and crouching to break line of sight while it's being broken so you can escape the chase are satisfying, interesting and takes skill to do, counter ect.
And for the Killer spending 60 seconds in a chase gets old fast while it would be more engaging if staying in the chase in the first place (without losing the survivor) was the hard part of the chase, rather than just routing.
It really doesn't matter what happens to shorten chases. And no it would not just be killer buffs we need since survivor's need the tools to escape chases just like killers need tools to end them
*These are estimates from what I've seen on the forums. If you disagree speak up but understand that you are likely the minority
Comments
If you get looped for five gens, that’s a you problem.
...so...what is the change?
Arbitrary. The goal of this thread was to establish a goal not to propose a specific change.
As someone who plays both sides, I feel like the game is pretty balanced in "chases".
The only problem is gens being done super fast but... Trying to go after the same survivor for the entire game is the same as camping, you are not doing anything to stop survivors from doing those gens.
If I get a survivor that throws 3 pallets at me and I havent hit him yet I just leave him, he'll come back to where the chase started (near a gen) and he'll be out of pallets.
Then we have infinites which are completely broken because those dont require skill at all and can be abused for all survivors (yes Disturbed Ward, Im looking at you). This is the only thing I hate about looping, everything else is fine imho.
AH. I misread the title as "short changes are better for the game". My bad.
+1 on this. Certain infinites (eff you Haddonfield) need to be removed and there needs to be a secondary objective for survivors such as fuel cans for generators. I think once that happens the game will be in a healthier state. The SWF problem is another big one but that probably won't get tackled for a while, sadly.
Exactly what I was gonna say. Why chase for more than X gens or X time. If they're looping you through bloodlust, give it up.
I mean I personally play as spirit who ends up with chases that work like I described because of how her power works. But for every other killer besides spirit and nurse this is a problem outside of specific situations depending on the killer.
I think chases should be more based on skill and not knowing where the pallets and windows are because that is basically all you need to waste killer's time. You don't need to be that good to do it.
Oh yeah some specific changes that might accomplish this goal. These suggestions are independent from each other:
* bloodlust accumulates MUCH faster but reduces how long scratch Mark's last. At tier 3 no scratch mark's and the survivor gets a sound cue at each stage
* Survivors have increased walking and crouched speed but slightly decreased running speed
* Killers have increased vaulting speed but decreased pallet breaking speed and they look down during a vault more than now
* All Killer actions are faster but clear scratch marks
* Honestly just ######### scratch marks
I find that keeping chases short on either side feels much more rewarding. Treading over the same loop path is boring as killer and making the killer blindly search right after being spotted is far more satisfying then pallet after pallet.