Second Wind (Renewal) has weird activation conditions
I was recently running Second Wind for the first time in a little while, and I genuinely think it's an underrated perk. However, the activation condition is kind of awkward at times and isn't clarified by the description.
Currently, the perk says that it becomes active "After you heal 1 Survivor." However, more accurately, the perk activates after you heal a survivor for 1 full health state. With Resurgence being so popular, you constantly get screwed over because healing a teammate with Resurgence only gets you 30% of the way to activating the perk once. If you heal someone after they had already started self-healing and had gotten even 10%, too bad you have to go heal someone else for another 10% to activate the perk. In addition, even if you heal a survivor from start to finish, if any other survivor hops on the heal at any point, from that point on you get half the usual progress and cannot get full activation.
This makes it incredibly awkward at times to use, and also I'm sure confuses a lot of players when using it for the first time. I propose making it act similarly to Clean Break or Conviction, where it is activated off of finishing a heal. This would make the perk infinitely less awkward to use, much more straightforward, less confusing, and more accurate to the current description. If people for some reason think it would be too strong, although I really don't think it would be, 5s can be added to the broken timer.
Comments
I agree, I've thought this for a while.
It's been a questionable detail for a while, but with the inclusion of perks like Clean Break or Conviction having stronger effects for the more lenient activation condition, I think it's safe to say Second Wind is definitely outdated. Modernising it would be a very welcome change.
Also Clean Break and Conviction are much easier to understand. I imagine the lack of clarity in Second Wind's description has screwed a lot of people over who tried to combo it with Autodidact or a medkit with skill check addons. I actually got screwed over once trying to use it with Deli, understanding the "while not broken" part as if after my 60s of broken with Deli ends, the 20s of broken for Second Wind will begin. Unfortunately they just don't work together at all.