Strong Negative Feedback on The Judgment's Design
Hello Dead by Daylight Team,
I want to provide some very strong negative feedback regarding The Judgment. I play both Survivor and Killer, and this is one of the rare Killers whose overall design I genuinely dislike from almost every angle: visual design, lore, gameplay mechanics, and the philosophy behind the mechanics.
- The visual design feels overdesigned and strangely AI-like
The Judgment's appearance genuinely gives me the visual impression of AI-generated artwork. I am not accusing the team of actually using AI; I mean that it has the same visual language: excessive detail, complicated patterns everywhere, and many decorative elements that do not seem to follow a clear visual logic.
There is a lot happening, but very little of it feels memorable or intentional to me. Instead of having a strong silhouette, recognizable motifs, or a coherent visual identity, it feels like many elaborate ideas were simply combined together.
For a game that has produced so many visually iconic Killers, I find this design surprisingly weak.
2. The anti-"toxic behavior" mechanics fundamentally misunderstand an important part of DBD
My biggest problem is Heresy being connected to things such as repeated crouching, gestures, and lingering in the Exit Area.
I understand that these actions can be used to BM. I play Killer too. I have absolutely gotten annoyed when Survivors repeatedly teabag me or click flashlights at me.
But that is also part of what reminds me that I am playing against actual human beings rather than bots.
Dead by Daylight has extremely limited direct communication. There is no normal voice chat or text chat during a Trial. Because of that, crouching, pointing, waving, flashlight interactions, movement, and other small actions have effectively become part of the game's unofficial social language.
Sometimes they are toxic. Sometimes they are funny. Sometimes they are communication. Sometimes a Survivor stays near an exit because they are waiting to take a hit for a teammate, distracting the Killer, checking whether somebody needs help, or buying time for someone at the other gate.
A mechanic cannot reliably understand the player's intent.
Punishing all of these behaviors because some players use them to BM feels like punishing normal players for the behavior of a minority.
More importantly, if BHVR genuinely believes certain forms of BM are a game-wide problem that require mechanical punishment, then that should be addressed as a global and symmetrical game-design issue, including toxic behavior from both sides. It should not become the defining gimmick of one Killer.
Right now, The Judgment feels less like a character and more like an anti-BM rulebook wearing a Killer skin.
That is a major reason I find the character so unpleasant.
3. The Heresy Skill Checks feel unnecessarily hostile to casual and lower-spec players
Requiring Great Skill Checks to avoid generator regression is another mechanic I strongly dislike.
Not every player has the same hardware, frame rate, input latency, controller precision, reaction time, or mechanical skill. A Good Skill Check is normally still a successful Skill Check. Turning it into a punishment disproportionately affects casual players, controller players, players on weaker systems, and people who simply are not playing DBD at a highly competitive level.
Is this Killer being designed primarily around high-level players?
I am not against difficult Killers or difficult counterplay. Difficulty can be interesting. But this does not feel like interesting difficulty to me. It feels like another arbitrary restriction layered on top of an already complicated ruleset.
4. Exile removes some of the player-to-player interaction that makes DBD fun
The same problem applies to mechanics that bypass normal pickup, carrying, hooking, flashlight saves, pallet saves, sabotage attempts, and other interactions.
Those interactions are not inconveniences that need to be designed out of the game. They are part of what creates memorable moments between players.
When I play Killer, Survivors attempting risky saves makes the match more dynamic.
When I play Survivor, trying to save another player is one of the most exciting forms of teamwork.
The more a Killer's design says, essentially, "you don't get to do this interaction, you don't get to do that interaction, and you also need to follow these additional special rules," the less the match feels like Dead by Daylight and the more it feels like I am playing around one character's personal rulebook.
There are simply too many rules.
5. The gameplay mechanics do not feel sufficiently connected to the lore
Another major issue is thematic cohesion.
Some of DBD's best Killers feel like their lore, visual identity, and mechanics belong to the same character. The Artist is a good example for me. Her identity, imagery, atmosphere, and power reinforce one another, which makes playing her feel thematically satisfying.
I do not get that feeling from The Judgment.
Heresy, forced Great Skill Checks, punishment for crouching and gesturing, Exit Gate punishment, Exile, anti-save interactions, Divine Light, and the various other rules feel like a collection of gameplay systems rather than a coherent expression of the character's story.
Even though Aurora and The Judgment are directly connected in the lore, I also do not feel that the Survivor/Killer pairing comes across strongly enough through their overall visual and mechanical design.
The chapter feels much less cohesive than I expected.
6. Please reconsider the design philosophy behind this Killer
My issue is not simply whether The Judgment is "too strong" or "too weak."
Numbers can always be adjusted.
My problem is that I fundamentally dislike the design philosophy.
I do not want a Killer whose identity is built around mechanically policing player expression and disabling normal forms of interaction. I especially do not want DBD moving further in this direction with future characters.
Please seriously reconsider:
-Heresy being triggered by crouching, gestures, or staying in the Exit Area.
-The punishment for hitting Good rather than Great Skill Checks.
-How many normal Survivor interactions Exile bypasses.
-The amount of special rules attached to one Killer.
-The connection between the Killer's lore and actual gameplay.
-The visual direction of the character.
I would strongly prefer a substantial rework of The Judgment.
And if extremely polarizing Killers with this kind of gameplay philosophy are going to remain in the game, I would genuinely like BHVR to consider some form of Killer preference or avoidance system. At the moment, I would simply rather not be matched against The Judgment at all.
I know this feedback is very negative, but I am writing it because I care about Dead by Daylight. I play both sides, and player-to-player interaction is one of the main reasons I enjoy this game.
The Judgment is the first Killer in a long time that makes me feel as though those interactions themselves are being treated as something the game needs to prevent.
That is exactly the opposite direction I want DBD to take.
Thank you for reading.
Comments
GPTZero AI Detection Model 4.9b
We are highly confident this text was 100% AI generated