Could Dead by Daylight Collaborate with Sherlock Holmes?
I have a collaboration idea that I genuinely think could fit Dead by Daylight surprisingly well: Sherlock Holmes.
Not necessarily a modern adaptation — I would especially love to see a version inspired by the original Arthur Conan Doyle stories and illustrations. If licensing allowed it, a classic Victorian-era Sherlock Holmes would feel incredibly distinctive in the Fog.
And honestly, I think Holmes would work much better as a Survivor than as a Killer.
His entire character is built around observation, deduction, investigation, and surviving dangerous situations through intelligence rather than brute force. Those qualities could translate very naturally into Survivor perks.
For example, his perks could revolve around:
- Investigation: gaining information after interacting with generators, chests, totems, or other objects.
- Deduction: receiving additional information after observing certain events or actions performed by the Killer.
- Observation: temporarily revealing auras or important environmental information after carefully investigating an area.
- Consulting the Evidence: rewarding players for paying attention to the Killer's behavior and predicting what they might do next.
There could even be a small thematic detail where Holmes makes unique observations about the Trial — things like noticing scratch marks, blood, disturbed objects, or the Killer's behavior.
And the visual concept could be fantastic: Victorian suit, deerstalker-inspired cosmetics, magnifying glass, notebook, violin references, perhaps even cosmetics inspired by famous illustrations.
I also think there is an interesting contrast here. Dead by Daylight has already shown that the Fog can bring together characters from very different worlds. Sherlock Holmes would bring something different from the usual horror, action, or supernatural characters: a character whose weapon is simply his ability to understand what is happening around him.
There is also a lot of potential for cosmetics and alternate versions depending on the licensing possibilities. If a Doyle-inspired version were possible, that alone would be incredibly appealing to fans of the original stories.
And, from a business perspective, Sherlock Holmes is one of those characters with a huge amount of recognition across generations and countries. It could attract both existing DBD players and people who grew up with Sherlock Holmes adaptations.
So, BHVR:
Here is a character you could potentially make money with.
Please consider putting Sherlock Holmes in the Fog someday. I would absolutely buy him.Please consider bringing Sherlock Holmes into the Fog someday. If he ever becomes an actual Survivor, he would absolutely be my next P100 character — and a character I would genuinely love!😊
Comments
They don't need to get a license to put Sherlock Holmes in the game if they aren't bringing some specific one like from the Robert Downey Jr. movie version. Sherlock Holmes is totally in public domain. Anyone can use the character for free. That is the main reason why there is the book series and Netflix movies of Enola Holmes Sherlock's sister who was never in the original work.
He would not be bad to add anyway I would not mind seeing him in the game. Some of his stories do include horror themes.
Thank you for pointing that out! You're right — I was mainly thinking about the Jeremy Brett version when I mentioned the licensing issue, so I was probably overthinking the copyright side of it. 😅
If BHVR used a version based directly on the original stories or classic illustrations, that would obviously be a much simpler situation.
And I completely agree that Sherlock Holmes could actually fit Dead by Daylight surprisingly well. Some of the original stories have very dark, unsettling and even horror-like elements, so I think he could work wonderfully as a Survivor.
Honestly, I just really want to see him in the Fog. 😭 If BHVR ever actually added Sherlock Holmes, he would probably be my next prestige 100 — and a character I'd absolutely love playing.