Connection and ping issues after a decade
High ping killers are still being rewarded, and it makes learning proper timings feel pointless
After almost eight years of playing Dead by Daylight, ping is still the biggest problem I have with this game.
On European servers, I constantly run into players connecting from Russia, often seemingly through VPNs, with noticeably high ping. The problem isn’t simply that they lag. The problem is that the game frequently appears to reward them for it.
I genuinely can’t think of another multiplayer game where the player with the worse connection seems to get such a clear advantage. We are supposedly protected by server-side hit validation, but in actual matches I barely see any evidence that it works. I still get hit after finishing a vault, after dropping a pallet, or from distances that make absolutely no sense on my screen. The killer swings late because of their connection, yet I’m the one who gets punished.
So what is the point of learning how to loop properly or practising pallet timings when the game can simply ignore what happened on my screen and favour a killer with higher ping? You can make the correct play, time the pallet properly, and still get screwed because the killer’s connection apparently matters more than what the server should have validated.
This has been an issue for years. The changes Behaviour has made to hit validation haven’t noticeably improved it, at least from my experience. Are they actually planning to address high-ping players and VPN connections on European servers, or is this simply something we’re expected to accept forever?
I’m not asking for every borderline hit to favour survivors. I’m asking for the server to stop rewarding bad connections. If someone’s ping is too high for the match to be fair, they shouldn’t be able to ruin the experience for everyone else—and they definitely shouldn’t gain an advantage from it.
Comments
you shouldn’t be able to play online games in general with bad connection imo.
Once again a post about this topic that does not get the devs’ attention. Goes to show they absolutely don’t care about this even though it has been on going for 11 YEARS. 11 YEARS AND THESE DEVS ONLY HAVE 3 SERVERS IN EUROPE.
Since the beginning of September my ping went from 70 - 75 to 80 - 100. I suspect it was initially because of the denuvo trial and after that due to 2v8 gamemode (I only play normal) as it usually happens. Almost a month now I'm forced to play with higher ping for no reason. It's not just the lack of servers in Europe and in general, it's the game itself.