Chaos Shuffle is sort of a miserable experience, isn’t it?

This is my first time experiencing the Chaos Shuffle modifier, and I expected it to be a fun kind of chaos. Not knowing which perks you'd get seemed like it could lead to some interesting combinations, and wondering whether they'd synergise well, like Inner Strength and Small Game, or completely work against each other, like No Mither and Self-Care.

Instead, it's been a pretty miserable experience.

I don't know if I just had an unusually bad run of matches before I went to make something to eat, but almost every game was filled with proxy camping and hard tunnelling. I assume that's because it's much less likely that survivors will randomly get an anti-tunnel perk.

Unless it's changed since I last played, there also wasn't a Bloodpoint bonus for playing survivor. So what's the incentive to play this modifier? Am I missing something, or is it genuinely just not a very good game mode?

Comments

  • I've played some games on the survivor side with some like minded peeps our games seemed to just be us all taking 4 flashlights. We don't always escape but those killers are getting blasted. I'm really curious as to why items aren't random too.

  • I’ve been having a lot of fun in the Chaos Shuffle lobbies and I actually wish it was sticking around longer than it is. Lights Out is okay for a few matches but the novelty wears off pretty fast.

  • This content has been removed.
  • @TheTWDFan said:

    This is my first time experiencing the Chaos Shuffle modifier, and I expected it to be a fun kind of chaos. Not knowing which perks you'd get seemed like it could lead to some interesting combinations, and wondering whether they'd synergise well, like Inner Strength and Small Game, or completely work against each other, like No Mither and Self-Care.

    Instead, it's been a pretty miserable experience.

    I don't know if I just had an unusually bad run of matches before I went to make something to eat, but almost every game was filled with proxy camping and hard tunnelling. I assume that's because it's much less likely that survivors will randomly get an anti-tunnel perk.

    Unless it's changed since I last played, there also wasn't a Bloodpoint bonus for playing survivor. So what's the incentive to play this modifier? Am I missing something, or is it genuinely just not a very good game mode?

    This got slightly longer then I wanted it to be, but please bear with me.

    ----

    I really enjoy Chaos Shuffle. The fact that each side is forced to play around with what they get makes for different playstyles in theory. However, I have noticed an increase in tunneling in this mode too. Usually I am 'eh whatever' about it and just move on.

    In this case though I keep thinking: Killers (who tunnel in the majority of their games) usually insist that they NEED to tunnel in order to combat the survivor meta. That begs the question: Why do they still do it in the "silly game mode" where nobody can intentionally play their meta-build?

    That reveals a fundamental problem: all of the proposed fixes to the game will never stop tunneling. It's not really about skill expression and fun. It's always been about easier wins. That's why a lot of people complain about the change to Lights Out, claiming, it breaks immersion, when killers like Legion and Doctor rose to unholy fame during the first iterations by literally ignoring the limitations of the mode. Them getting killer instinct is fine, survivors getting some sort of WOW is immersion breaking.

    The truth is: people want easy wins. To a good portion of them, having to work for a thing isn't rewarding. They want the shiny badge of "you won" and they want to achieve it easier. That's why no amount of killer buffs will ever change the simple truth: play strong killer, tunnel weakest link, easier game and most likely, win. It's not rocket science.

    I've always been the fan of this concept: buff the weaker killers and solo q, so that they can at least keep up with the s-tier killers and SWFs. THEN adjust problematic perks on both sides. And to top it all of: in my ideal world, perks would be adjusted based on the killer. Just a silly little example: Lethal Pursuer could be buffed on Trapper, but nerfed on Nurse. On survivor there could be a system where it determines whether you are in a pre-made or not and adjust perk values around that - like diminishing returns but better. Or make it so that certain perks are not allowed more than x-times. Admittedly, it's a bit more complicated to adjust things around 4 players, but it is whatnit is. We gotta find a way.

    And when all that is done, see what it does to tunneling and slugging, realise, it most likely still exist, and THEN implement changes to combat it.

    Does that mean we'd need a massive and fundamental rework of the game? Sure. Would that improve a lot of peoples fun on both sides? Absolutely. Would there be an uproar on the side that gets a slight disadvantage? Of course. But they've benefitted from the games' design for 10 years. It's about time things get shaken up a little bit.

    Tldr; chaos shuffle is cool in concept, but peeps, be nice to one another and please, just have a little bit more chill. Everyone is suffering in chaos shuffle and isn't that the fun part about it? It's the one mode where you literally cannot optimise the fun out of the game and I LOVE the idea of that. Fun, that's what games should be about.

    Puh...saturday morning and it got me like this:

    1000142141.gif
  • Playing against 4 medkits without having a slowdown perk for healing is just miserable

  • Yeah I've noticed the same thing, especially today. I've been playing a lot of killer during the event because I ran out of survivor archives so I wanted to get some killer ones done, and I've been really liking Springtrap so I've been playing him like 90% of my games. As Springtrap, a maybe B tier killer, I've been able to extremely consistently get 3ks and 4ks with the odd exception here and there, and the vast majority of those games I have so much leeway that I try to get as close to an 8 hook before killing anyone.

    Today I've spent more time than the previous days running survivor games, and out of the first 4 games, in 3 someone got hard tunneled from the start, and in the last it was 7+ minutes of the killer holding the game hostage, slugging for the 4k, then repeatedly picking up the downed survivor so that they don't bleed out. It's been such a miserable experience so far that I started a spreadsheet to keep track. I've got details on 7 survivor games so far, I'm looking to write down at least 15 as survivor and as killer and see what results I see.

    It sucks too because when the match is played normally, I love Chaos Shuffle. The most bizarre perks can come into play, and it gives you a chance to try and get value out of even the weakest of perks. But when the killer is just taking advantage of the fact that survivors can't bring strong perks, especially anti-tunnel perks, it's just boring, frustrating and miserable.

1 2 ›