Ping is way too much of a factor into skill

As the title says, ping is way too much of a determining factor to skill / what a player is capable of, at the very least on the survivor side. At least on the killer side, even if you have 200ms it doesn't matter because the way it's coded will always favor you, but on the survivor side if you have anything above 40ms it starts getting noticeable. I for one am right in between all the coastal servers in North America, so if I'm lucky I'll get 60ms, but I'm often sitting at 70, 80, or even 90. And I know for a fact that a lot of other players have similar issues or even worse. And on the survivor side, even on the lowest 60ms, it's painfully obviously from the amount of distance you get hit through a window, or getting hit through a dropped pallet, etc.

I have played hundreds or even thousands of hours on other games where sometimes I'm on 40ms and sometimes I'm on 60-70ms and barely noticed a difference, but if you have higher ping in this game you are straight up less capable than other survivors. Even trying to drop pallets or vault windows early does not make a difference, as sometimes you won't be able to make it with your ping, or in the case of windows (or dropped pallets) if you vault early the killer will just go around. This net code is absolute garbage and I hope that since apparently BHVR has some second team almost "rebuilding" the game, that some new net code or servers come with it.

Comments

  • Yeah, I wish they were more transparent if this is one of the issues the new version of the game aims to tackle. Because it's a huge huge problem, that's really awful for the game.

  • @Rokku_Rorru said:

    Yeah, I wish they were more transparent if this is one of the issues the new version of the game aims to tackle. Because it's a huge huge problem, that's really awful for the game.

    Absolutely, if they're doing pretty much a complete overhaul of the game I hope they're rewriting a lot of their spaghetti code. If they want longevity for the game, the foundation has to be solid, and it just hasn't been for the decade it's existed. Hopefully they tackle this issue along with the foundational issues causing so many bugs, I really wish they would make a statement whether this is part of their plan as you say.

  • Its exactly why killer players acting like the terrible pallets that make up most maps are 50/50s are wrong.

    If you have anything above 50ms these pallets are unusable unless the killer is bad.