What do you think the future for the game will be?
We've reached the 10 years a month ago, so I really wondered how the game is supposed to continue from then on. Will we keep the repetitive loop of "4 releases per year" which bloats the game further and further?
We have
43 Killers
53 Survivors
324 Perks
46 maps over
23 Realms
If we go along with that in 2036 we'll have like
100 killers
100 Survivors
700 perks
100 Maps
50 Realms
Doesn't sound feasible to me.
Will the focus change maybe? I know there will be the big visual rework. Maybe we finally get less characters and more gamemodes?
A general shift in gameplay loop?
For 10 years it was "Do 5 gens and escape" and "Hook and kill survivors"
Maybe we need more mechanics that get released over time. I mean we already get more and more fun mechanics in events.
Comments
It’s a really good question. You have to wonder at what point the game becomes way too overwhelming for new players (I think it already is), and how long the game can be sustained by a dedicated veteran core. People thought this game was going to die a long time ago, so it has proven a lot more resilient than most expected.
My personal opinion - I think their plan is to just continue on the same path because it has been a winning formula for so long. But BHVR better have something else big in theirs plans for the long term to pivot to if/when they run out of ways to keep people engaged with the current version of DbD
I do believe the game didn't die because it's BHVRs moneymaker. Ubisoft can shut down games but shutting down DbD is shutting down BHVR
I don't think DbD has another 10 years in it to be honest. There is a very real chance that the player peak that we saw with Jason's release will stand DbD's highest peak of all time, past and future. Seriously, what license we have yet to get could top Jason? We've seen this pattern for years now, players come in on the big licenses but they don't stay and play once the novelty wears off and they realize they're playing an unbalanced spaghetti-coded mess with a long and steep learning curve.
Maybe modding can save the game, but that's a year away if it comes at all.
Maybe, the game already gets modded, just older versions. But that would definitely help. Communities keep games alive. Portal 2 still gets community maps today
Oooh BHVR could feature community maps
This graphics rework looks a bit more complex than just higher graphics. Weather effects and all that being added in, would absolutely obliterate the current spaghetti code, when they can't even add a shirt without something going wrong. Something tells me they've been working on a brand new code and when this graphics overhaul/weather effects come in, it will probably replace the old code and allow them to implement all that new stuff with little to no problems. Along with expanding the game's capabilities.
But thats just a theory I have as it sounded like thats what they had in mind.
Well it's BHVR. There's a good chunk of chance that the graphics will be just as messy. The same company that less than a year ago showed that qa is spelt really lowercase with Jim the Beam. Which is another can I don't want to open here
When I started playing the game heavily a few years ago I thought it was on the downswing, which seemed natural for me given the game's age.
Instead we're hitting record player counts.
I think the game has another 5 to 10 years in it and can probably push past that. Over time player counts will begin to decline (and my stance on this always is that is not inherently a failing of the game, but basically an inevitable part of a game's history), but the game could lose a lot of players and still be profitable.
I thought the way forward was going to be new game modes, but they seem happy to just mostly cycle through 2v8. However, it looks like it isn't really necessary yet, even if a lot of us our burned out the broader player base doesn't seem to be.
I think part of the reason they don't worry about bloat (and why it hasn't effected them much) is that for two different groups of players it doesn't matter. Experienced veterans who have memorized everything find depth in the variety, and for more casual players who don't care about knowing the layouts of every map it doesn't matter whether there are 10 or a 100 maps really, they're just going to jump in and play them.
So guess on the future: probably more of the same for the next couple of years, at some point when player counts start to drop too much see an increase in new game modes. I wouldn't be surprised if the player base splits between the game modes, with 1v4 being a massive bloat of possible killers and perks, while 2v8 is more focused on the class system. But I don't expect anything truly 'radical'.
dead by daylight 2 I bet
I don't think dbd is going anywhere in the near future. The playerbase is gonna continue supporting and the developers will continue not trying.
The game is either gonna get killed by its own hubris (too much content making it entirely inaccessible for new players) or because bhvr does such a monumental mistake, that even the most loyal of fans finally wake up.
Not good unfortunately and there will be a ton of finger pointing and lack of accountability for the reason or just a pure flame burnt out, both of those makes me sad especially when it was preventable and foreseeable.
i am slightly optimistic with the graphics rework that will also come with a completely new code foundation
I guess this will come with its own Problems and will require fixes and adjustments though.
Also, i do hope there will especially on original chapter be more focus on something akin to All-Kill: Comeback, hopefully also focusing on the corresponding survivor more instead of adding a new one
Then, maybe finally some more base mechanics, ég bringing back the inflatable Snowmen from the Winter Event in a non-season/goofy way (Cardboard boxes?) and others, maybe the custom Community stuff will bring in fresh ideas