MMR: Either Tutorial Bots or Esports Finals

I play killer and have almost 300 hours in the game, yet every match feels like a coin flip.

One match I get survivors with around 1000 combined hours who play worse than bots and rarely manage to finish even 3 generators. The next match I'm against a squad with over 20000 combined hours that finishes all 5 generators in about 6 minutes.

Yes, total playtime isn't a perfect measure of skill. But let's be honest—most of the time there's a huge difference between someone with 300 hours and someone with 5,000. On top of that, I've reached the highest Killer Grade, yet that doesn't seem to make the matches any more consistent.

Killer queues already take 6–8 min, while Steam alone often has over 100,000 online. With that kind of player base and queue time, it should be entirely possible to create much fairer lobbies. I wouldn't mind waiting another couple of minutes if it meant getting opponents around my skill level.

I dont want to win every match. I dont mind losing. I just want competitive games instead of matches that are complete stomps in either direction.

Dead by Daylight is one of the most successful asymmetrical multiplayer games on the market. That's exactly why it's disappointing to see matchmaking feel so inconsistent. I've played much smaller online games with far better matchmaking, and I think a game this successful should be able to do the same.

Comments

  • the issue is is that theres not really a good consistent way for dbd to actually track your skill. it has to go off of kills and escapes which can happen due to skill, none o it or a mixture.

    there are escapes as surv where we only escaped because of what i did. and games where my actions had nothing to do with us escaping.

    Ive won games as killers because of skill and ive won games because of an idiotic play that just handed the win in my lap.

    this is before all the gacha combination of perks that do things that influence things that are or are not in your control.

  • @HexSlugged said:

    the issue is is that theres not really a good consistent way for dbd to actually track your skill. it has to go off of kills and escapes which can happen due to skill, none o it or a mixture.

    there are escapes as surv where we only escaped because of what i did. and games where my actions had nothing to do with us escaping.

    Ive won games as killers because of skill and ive won games because of an idiotic play that just handed the win in my lap.

    this is before all the gacha combination of perks that do things that influence things that are or are not in your control.

    I agree that DBD is harder to measure than a simple win/loss game. But in 2026, matchmaking doesn't have to rely only on escapes and kills.

    The game already tracks repair time, chase time, hooks, saves, healing, protection hits, and much more. A survivor who hid all match and escaped through hatch shouldn't gain the same MMR as someone who repaired gens, took long chases, and helped the team.

    The same goes for teamwork. If your teammates escape because you kept the killer busy—even if you die—you should earn more MMR than someone who died without contributing. That would encourage survivors to help their team instead of only playing for their own escape, and over time it would naturally place better team players at a higher MMR.

    I'm not saying I have the perfect formula. My point is simply that modern games have enough data to estimate player performance much better than just "escaped" or "didn't escape."

  • @Scr3am3r said:

    I play killer and have almost 300 hours in the game, yet every match feels like a coin flip.

    One match I get survivors with around 1000 combined hours who play worse than bots and rarely manage to finish even 3 generators. The next match I'm against a squad with over 20000 combined hours that finishes all 5 generators in about 6 minutes.

    Yes, total playtime isn't a perfect measure of skill. But let's be honest—most of the time there's a huge difference between someone with 300 hours and someone with 5,000. On top of that, I've reached the highest Killer Grade, yet that doesn't seem to make the matches any more consistent.

    Killer queues already take 6–8 min, while Steam alone often has over 100,000 online. With that kind of player base and queue time, it should be entirely possible to create much fairer lobbies. I wouldn't mind waiting another couple of minutes if it meant getting opponents around my skill level.

    I dont want to win every match. I dont mind losing. I just want competitive games instead of matches that are complete stomps in either direction.

    Dead by Daylight is one of the most successful asymmetrical multiplayer games on the market. That's exactly why it's disappointing to see matchmaking feel so inconsistent. I've played much smaller online games with far better matchmaking, and I think a game this successful should be able to do the same.

    Wowee what is this truth nuke

    In truth ye ever since sbmm dropped my enjoyment of playing killer dropped straight to 0 real fast. It's indeed as you say, you either get 4 newbies which don't know what are gens, or 4 really good players, there is no in-between. And it's just not fun when games go completely in one direction, either killer stomping or getting stomped.

    Thought truth be told, I am no expert in this area, so I can't even propose any sort of alternative

  • @Scr3am3r said:

    I play killer and have almost 300 hours in the game, yet every match feels like a coin flip.

    One match I get survivors with around 1000 combined hours who play worse than bots and rarely manage to finish even 3 generators. The next match I'm against a squad with over 20000 combined hours that finishes all 5 generators in about 6 minutes.

    Yes, total playtime isn't a perfect measure of skill. But let's be honest—most of the time there's a huge difference between someone with 300 hours and someone with 5,000. On top of that, I've reached the highest Killer Grade, yet that doesn't seem to make the matches any more consistent.

    Killer queues already take 6–8 min, while Steam alone often has over 100,000 online. With that kind of player base and queue time, it should be entirely possible to create much fairer lobbies. I wouldn't mind waiting another couple of minutes if it meant getting opponents around my skill level.

    I dont want to win every match. I dont mind losing. I just want competitive games instead of matches that are complete stomps in either direction.

    Dead by Daylight is one of the most successful asymmetrical multiplayer games on the market. That's exactly why it's disappointing to see matchmaking feel so inconsistent. I've played much smaller online games with far better matchmaking, and I think a game this successful should be able to do the same.

    Wowee what is this truth nuke

    In all seriousness ye, ever since sbmm dropped my enjoyment of playing killer dropped straight to 0 real fast. It's indeed as you say, you either get 4 newbies which don't know what are gens, or 4 really good players, there is no in-between. And it's just not fun when games go completely in one direction, either killer stomping or getting stomped.

    Thought truth be told, I am no expert in this area, so I can't even propose any sort of alternative