Hot take: I don't want the violence to be more realistic

Lots to look forward to in the coming years, but I didn't love the preview of how much more painful and realistic the violence will supposedly be. I don't really want to play a bunch of matches in a row where I watch people suffer and die in a realistic way — I want to play matches where it looks a little goofy because it's abstracted from reality.

The models shown in the preview are also sliding into uncanny valley for me.

Put both of those things together and it felt creepy in the wrong ways.

Comments

  • youre playing a horror game and dont want it to be more horror? make it make sense

  • I'm gonna be a bit of a defender here:

    The new animations/models are not going live for some time yet, the uncanny stuff we saw before is effectively pre-alpha demo footage of the new animation system. So expect it to be a bit less uncanny, especially when not in smooth test lighting.

    I can appreciate if it makes you feel squeamish, but they are not reworking the gameplay loop into a torture simiulator. You chuck people on the hook and they do the scream and make the face, same as now, just that the face will look a bit more expressive. I imagine moris will be similar. The wording used was supposed to sell it as scary, not promise you a bunch of discomfort.

  • It'll just be a bit more immersive, you're concerns should be aimed at the new moris more than anything and they are already in the game. (I'm not saying I have an issue with them).

    I'm sure it'll still look really goofy on lower settings.