The state of playing certain survivors at the moment
I don't really know if this is the place to post, but I'll just do it. There's a thing which has gotten worse over the last few weeks which to me is at least bothering.
As my username tells, I play as Claudette very much. She is my main, my first P100, my one character who's still stacked with almost 600 anniversary cakes of last year. I like her back story, I like her cosmetics, she is just a character I somehow can relate to (I would consider myself as a very introverted and shy "nerdperson" as well).
But for a few weeks now, I get pretty negative feedback, very often in pregame chat already. And "pretty negative feedback" is put very very nicely.
It is plain racism. Bad slurs, bad insults, derogative racial terms, just disgusting stuff. Just because Claudette is standing there in the lobby. And it is definitely aimed at her, when the other survivors are Leon, Nea and Kate for example. Many of them are crossplayers where I cannot even check due to the lack of a Steam profile.
Now I myself am no PoC so these insults do not hit me personally but only the character that I play, but still. It has gotten more and worse. I wonder why.
So. I probably am not the only one, am I? How do other people deal with this? Is it maybe a regional thing (I play Central Europe servers as that's where I live)?
I am aware of the report function, but I even opened up a ticket a few weeks ago and it took 14 days until I actually got any response. So it just feels very frustrating if you have to experience that and know that the report might not be worth your time.
I also am aware that I could just turn off the chat in general. But is that really the solution? I don't know. There's lots of funny and nice people around and you basically miss out on those then.
And with experiencing stuff like this, the mere thought of DbD going F2P some day drives the horror into me, and not the good one. What I don't want is more people like that and hackers in this game, that's for damn sure.
Comments
To be honest, its absurd how verbal abuse is common in this game and in this community.
I've been constantly told to end my life, people wished my mom have cancer because i was playing Krasue, sweared at me for no reason. Its a common place to receive racism - i'm not PoC - in the endgame chat too. And i see some CC endorsing this kind of behavior as "funny" and "content"
I agree with you. We shouldn't need to close our chats due to toxicity. It would create a much better environment if this kind of verbal abuse was properly punished. People shouldn't feel free to say atrocities for other people without too much worry about their accounts in game.