Am I the only survivor who just cares about pips, not escape
After I know I pipped I just relax and don't play that seriously. If the match is too long I let the killer kill me.
Read THIS post.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
I hate when i'm at rank 1 got 10 good matches in a row and then 1 depip makes me go back to rank 2. When that happens i become a tryhard to get back to rank 1.
I don't care about pip or escape, just make points (All the tokens for We are gonna live forever and more than 20k); gain pip = harder games and more time waiting for match
Well if you bring one of those op items, ofc you wanna escape so you can use it again
Considering the sheer amount of people who have played this game, and the number of people who continue to play this game I can 100% confirm you are absolutely the ONLY person who cares about pips.
Surviving is not relevant for me. I want to pip, have some good chases (aka: Not go down instantly), and hope to be as helpful as possible to bring as many people out as possible.
Of course only where possible. I will not rush for an Unhook when the Exit Gates are open and the Killer is camping near the Hook with NOED active.
Neither pip or escape is relevant to me.. All I want is good and fair chases. Same goes when playing survivor or killer. I dont want any Balanced Landing cheesing on main building or killer BL3'ing me on medium sized loop just to catch me.
I care just slightly about pips and I don't care at all about blood points. I play for shards and escapes, because walking out the exit gate (or seeing others do so) is a feeling of accomplishment. I'm neutral on hatch escapes, rare when I get the same feeling using the hatch as I do opening the gate and walking out.
######### is up with this community.
I play to win
I play for pips too. I only play really hard to escape if I find a good item or to deny the killer a 4k, just so then it's like the group "won".
Then that means you play for pips, because pips are how the game defines a win. Escapes/kills are not actually wins as defined by the game. They contribute to wins, but are not the sole condition of what a win is. Not to say you can't play to escape/kill, just that it's not technically a win. If they were then you could set any goal for yourself and call that a win. "I found all the totems" or "I hit everyone with Third Seal". Those are not wins, they are imaginary win conditions, just like escapes/kills.
Exactly. Maybe if they played to the game's actual win conditions they would have a lot more fun and be a lot less frustrated. It's like saying as survivor "I win if I get chase by the killer but never get hit". Well the moment you get hit you're probably going to curse out the game and make all kinds of excuses.
Note how it is technically possible for all 5 players in a game to pip despite this being a 4v1 game
The whole point of having a pip system is for matchmaking since winning in this game doesn't guarantee that you actually earned it.
@NuclearBurrito2 If we look at any other game, you "rank up" when you win and "rank down" when you lose. Therefore, pipping is the win condition. Not escapes or kills. Those are your objectives but that's not how you actually win a game. You can get 0k/die and still rank up, or "win", just as you can get kills/escape and still rank down, or "lose".
camping has entered the chat.
You know I can still use that line of reasoning to show that escaping/killing are how you win/lose.
In any game the way you end the game is by reaching the point at which the winners and loses are deciding. Or in other words anyone that can win already has won. Most of the time there is a wincondition you much achieve FIRST in symmetrical games. Other times there are winconditions which prevent the other person from achieving theirs by definition.
However piping doesn't work like that, like I said everyone can win thus you can reach the point at which you have "won" but the game is still going. Win conditions aren't just what make you feel good, they are what ends the game.
Also not every game uses that kind of ranking system, most games do because most games with a ranked system are symetrical and either it is a 1v1 and pure skill (which is where it works best) or it is a team game where your team and another team go head to head with exactly 1 winner (which is sub-optimal but still works).
Since all 5 players win and lose individually with the 4 survivors effectively being neutral towards each other this doesn't work. If you have heard of the game town of salem you would know that trying to put elo in an asymetric game usually doesn't work out too well (they tried, It doesn't work), so instead this game bases your rank based on contribution rather than just victory.
Also for a survivor:
What action is the one that takes you out of the game? Escaping (wincon) and Dying (losecon).
Which action gives you the victory message at the end of the game? Escaping
Which action has the most emphasis put on it? Escaping
Which action is the one with the most rewards? Escaping
According to the lore what are the survivors trying to do in a trial? Escape
According to the tutorial what are the survivors trying to do in a trial? Escape
For the Killer(less straight forward as the survivor but the same premise applies):
What action can you preform to end the game? Killing everyone (wincon) or everyone escaping ( losecon)
Which action gives you the victory message at the end of the game? Killing everyone
Which action has the most emphasis put on it? Killing
Which action is the one with the most rewards? Killing
According to the lore what are the Killers trying to do in a trial? Kill everyone
According to the tutorial what are the Killers trying to do in a trial? Kill everyone
Idk if you have heard of it but a game which uses the exact same system is Deceit, ranking system (In that it isn't based on winning or losing) included. It does make the wincon significantly more clear (winning explicitly says that you win rather than just displaying a complimenting message and vice versa) but the point is that this hardly would be the only game that has their ranking and winning systems separated
Mainly because my rank also depends on how fast my friends find a game, so now I do my best to rank up so we can get less time playing lobby stimulator.
I dont care about pips, I care about points.. I just dont care about my rank, rank does not mean nothing just you play too much.
@NuclearBurrito2 The reason every player can win/lose independently is because of the asymmetrical design of the game. Since you can't directly compare one side to the other they have to go by an independent win/loss condition, which is the pip.
You are also ignoring the fact that you can pip even if you get 0 kills or die, just like you can depip even if you get kills or escape (though since kills/escapes CONTRIBUTE to the win condition this is a bit harder to do than the former).
Having an Asymmetrical game in no way means you can't have mutually exclusive win conditions (evolve, deceit, town of salem ect)
And the fact that you can pip despite losing or depip despite winning is irrelevant, pips are to assist with match making, which cares more about contribution than outcome. (or in otherwords if you don't do very many gens, get hooked twice but escape anyways then you may have won but you haven't shown that you are ready for more skilled players, while if you do every gen and win most of your chases but then get hocked and facecamped right at the end then dispite your loss you showed that you are still worthy of higher ranks (with probably a better team to let you escape more))
Overwatch actually uses the same system at lower ranks so that supports don't get stuck in low ranks because their team can't capitalize on their help.
As long as I had a fun and stimulating match, then I'm fine with being sacrificed.
Same as you. Devs need to change the -1 and back to rank 2 thing and make rank 1 the same as the others imo
Right which is why if you do all that stuff to pip but still die the game considers it a "win" and you rank up, where if you don't do that stuff but escape you "lose" and therefore rank down.
Pipping is the win condition because stuff like this can happen. If the game went purely by kills/escapes then you would get screwed out of "wins" specifically because of bad luck or because of bad teammates.
######### are you talking about. The game does not say you win just because you piped. Instead it shows that you are dead/sacrificed, that you lost your item ect ect ect too bad so sad try again next time
It depends. I play to have fun. Once rank reset happens I usually want to pip as fast as possible because I don’t want to stay in green ranks. I haven’t had good experiences with the survivors and killers that are in green ranks on console. A lot are usually so bad, killers tend to be a little bit more campy in green ranks, while in red ranks they’ll typically go away from the hook and find the others. Although I have only played killer since rank reset so I’m still at Rank 10 with survivor. I honestly could NOT care less about my killer rank, I don’t even want to rank up as a killer but it is brain dead easy.
Rank doesn’t matter but in my own experience, I’d rather be in red ranks because I don’t want to carry my team in green ranks and killers are less likely to leave the hook.
The fact you think this way is why you get all pissy about stuff like hatch or SWF in other threads because to a player like you, only a 4k is a win.
If you rank up you won. PERIOD. Just like any other game, you rank up if you win, and rank down if you lose. Therefore pip = win conditions. You can make up whatever other rules you want, but that's the way the game determines if you won or lost.
Not how that works. Again Overwatch is another example of a game where ranking does not imply winning. Deceit is another.
Prove that ranking = winning, then we will talk
I play to pip and get points. I wish such a huge chunk of survivor points werent locked behind surviving in a category thats near impossible to get points for in the first place, but thems the ropes. That said if more survivors putting pipping over escaping, there would be a lot more dynamic games and less hatch camping.
Also killers literally get victory cubes for killing people (and ONLY for killing people, they do not get it for other actions)
As killer it literally does rely directly on your pip status for the match. Also for lore reasons, its 100% fitting for both sides: The Entity feeds on hope and crushing it, so the more the survivors struggle and fail, the more it has to devour. Basically according the Entity, a perfect game would involve all 5 players double pipping :chuffed:
I dont care that much for piping. Why? Its far to easy to rank up and it shows nothing about your skill. +2 pips is just too dependend on the mood of the killer, and -1 is mostly common when the killer just wants to ######### you up by camping and/or tunneling. I care far more for the escape because its the ultimate goal for the survivor side and it shows that you can overcome any difficulties. but mostly i just want to have a fun game, where both sides have their moments, then i dont even care if i or my team doesnt escape. but that sadly happens just like once in a lifetime, cause most killers are just badasses.
I play to escape. I like to win and if I get sacrificed I don't feel I won.
Chases are too short now to be fun. Sooner or later you go down and might get camped or tunneled.
Points? Who cares. You can stay in the basement and get points for that, that's not fun.
Idk I have fun doing survivor ######### that gets you pips but I also don’t have fun doing survivor ######### that gets you pips to feel like it was all in vain 85% of the time. Ya feel me? I think it’s just how survivors rank up though that could fix this. I mean there’s no reason why I should be in rank 3-1 if most of my matches result in death, I’m obviously not ready. There I’ll be though.
I think they should keep it the same but you get x2 BP for games at rank 1. At the moment there is no reason to go to rank 1. I find it hard to find games at rank 1.
To answer to forum question I don't care about pips at the moment. I just play. I semi care about points but not really. I actually just try keep the momentum on the survivor side and kill myself to let others escape if I have to. However, if i get a good item in the chest then everyone is expendable and I want me that hatch.