Happy 10 Years
Despite all the highs and lows, this game has survived (ha) ten years of us players. So figured we'd inject some positivity (that will probably soon die) and since many here are likely old veterans of the fog we should celebrate with some stories. Whether or not your a survivor main, killer main, both main, bloodpoint main, whatever main, fresh meat or old dogs like us, we'd would like to hear some of your favorite stories from the fog. Since we like to talk, we'll start and prove its not an us v them thing.
(There was a game before the eruptoverbrine era where i was doc at Ormond against a 4 man squad with 4 tool boxes…who all also brought "no mither" (this is pretty much how i could tell). After a full second to process that they all had no mither, decided to handicap myself in a surprisingly oddly fun and possibly toxic way: they each get a slug first (sans the one who also ran object cause **** that perk) then they get a hook. If the head nods i kept getting from them was an indication they respected that i was also gimping myself abit and surprisingly they were still a tough fight. Everyone even stranglyer enjoyed the match, even the object user who found the show fun/ny despite dying relatively early. So all and all good wholesome toxic fun trial.)
[This was during one of the anniversaries (Lich's release). Was a solo survivor up against a Wesker at Midwitch. While you all can probably tell how that ended you'd probably don't expect how hard he had to fight for his kills. Wesker should have taken off his shades because he had a hard time finding people. Shadows hold survivors, pebbles (yes, the mighty pebble doing work) makes him jumpy and bushes apparently moved enough i saw him swing into a couple outta paranoia. My personal greatest moment however came from sheer luck. Chased around on death hook and he downed me at the god pallet by a stairwell. It just so happened that the next card from Tryks was the heal and expose and a gen poped at just the right time. Got up, pallet smacked Wesker, and proceeded to run for my life. Still died, but managed to buy one glorious minute outta that.]
{This was a KYF (with the other 2 rulebreakers as a bonus) as Trickster at Hawkings before it left the first time. Normally this would be somewhat difficult but my favorite add on is the bouncy blades. The whole trial everyone was running around going "AHHH" cause im a jerk and decided that typical aiming isn't funny. Blades going this way, that way, bouncing randomly that staying behind walls was roughly as safe as staying in my face, and surprisingly i got more downs than you'd normally get playing like this (i admit to having to smack a few heads with devour hope though). The star moment though was when everyone was grouped in a random room and i just got main event up. I decided to aim up. Cue the literal rain of blades and screaming of "OH GOD" and other profanities that would be censored. And as a bonus I actually got a down with that stunt.}
Cheers for a decade of murders
Comments
Happy ten years to DBD, here's to ten more. I haven't been playing for the game's whole existence, but I definitely plan to be celebrating my own ten-year anniversary when that rolls around.
One of my favourite stories from playing DBD comes from one of my survivor games that happened shortly after Xenomorph's addition to the game. The killer in this match actually was Xenomorph, and one of my fellow survivors was playing Ripley.
It's the end of the game, with the gates open and at least three of us still alive, I forget the exact number. I end up getting downed and hooked, so I shrug and start thinking about the next match, as you do.
This Ripley player, however, runs right back into the trial and unhooks me, tanking a hit from the Xenomorph as we both scurry out of the exit gates.
What tickles me about this story in particular is that Ripley going back in for one last heroic act is extremely in-character… and it also means that I was Jonesy the cat in this scenario.
I used to think the game would be dead by daylight.. But here we are 10 years of this amazing game it has surprisingly helped me through a lot as a stress reliever thanks BHVR and thanks dbd community for keeping the game alive!
It's mostly the little moments that stick in the mind for me. The Renato wearing the brightest possible fit trying to hide in a bush on the old red Borgo map (Protip - If you are a stealth player, Renato is definitely not your guy). The Leon that used his beamer to point out the moon to me while we stood on the Yamaoka estate main building (I was playing as Susie). We shared a tender moment appreciating the view together (before I killed him, of course). Another Leon that I played whack a mole with as Trickster on the harvester on one of the Coldwind maps. The streamer that successfully hid from me not by hiding in a locker, but by standing right next to it instead (I caught him the second time he tried it). Every winter event trial that spontaneously erupted into a giant snowball fight and every snowman jump scare (I really missed those guys last year). I got so good at mimicking the way the empty snowmen moved that I could often sneak by the Killer without them noticing me.
One of my favourite memories was against a Spirit on Ormond that had broken all the hooks around the exit gates. Everyone else was dead but we had gotten the gates fully powered, so my Dwight would run to the gate to progress it a little, she would grab me off the gate and try to carry me to a hook but I'd always wriggle free. I'd then use my Lithe to make distance and reach the gate again to keep progressing it a little. I think it was 5 or 6 times before I eventually screwed up and didn't quite make enough distance back to the gate and she got me. I'm sure it was an annoying experience for her but to me it was hilarious. Obviously, this could not happen today with hooks respawning and the finisher mori being in the game. But I'm still glad I got to experience a little bit of that old DBD jank from the before times.
Anyway, here's to 10 more years of those kinds of shenanigans.