A Survivor Main's Take: Why the 9.5.0 Wesker 'Fixes' Hurt the Gameplay Loop (With suggestions)
Introduction
Dead by Daylight's longevity as a competitive asymmetrical game depends on maintaining skill expression for both sides. When unintentional mechanics provide meaningful depth, removing them without replacement doesn't "fix" the game—it lowers the skill ceiling and removes mastery opportunities that benefit the entire playerbase.
The recent "fix" to Wesker's hitbox bug, while technically correcting an error, removes valuable movement techs that allowed skilled players to counter survivors who have mastered looping. This isn't just about one killer—it's about recognizing that physics-based dash killers require environmental interaction depth to remain engaging at high levels of play.
Defining the Category: Dash Killers
Not all killers benefit equally from movement techs. The killers who do share a specific characteristic: physics-based momentum mechanics that dash them forward through the environment.
This category includes:
- Billy (Chainsaw sprint)
- Blight (Rush with bump mechanics)
- Oni (Demon Dash)
- Wesker (Bound with collision)
This category EXCLUDES:
- M1 killers (no momentum-based movement)
- Stealth killers (no momentum-based movement)
- Nurse (phases through terrain rather than interacting with it)
- Ghoul (over tuned mobility that needs numerical nerfs, before skill expression)
The distinction matters because only momentum-based dash killers can meaningfully interact with environmental geometry in ways that reward mastery. M1 and stealth killers lack the velocity to create these interactions. Nurse ignores terrain entirely by phasing through it, so sliding mechanics would be pointless.
Why Movement Techs Matter
- Counterplay for Skilled Survivors
Survivors who master looping mechanics can chain tiles efficiently and extend chases significantly. Movement techs give killers a skill-based counter to this mastery. When both sides have high skill ceilings, the game rewards improvement rather than hitting a plateau. - Environmental Mastery
These techs transform obstacles into opportunities. Instead of a wall being a guaranteed stop, skilled players can:
- Skim along surfaces to maintain momentum
- Rebound off objects to change angles unexpectedly
- Navigate tight spaces (skinnybert)
This creates map knowledge depth—learning which surfaces allow techs and how to execute them consistently.
3. Skill Differentiation
The difference between a competent Wesker player and a master is visible and earned through practice. Removing these techs flattens that progression and makes mastery less rewarding.
4. They're Actually Fun to Play Against
As a survivor main, I can say with certainty: I have more fun dodging a wall-sliding Blight, or Wesker than I do holding W to outpace a Trapper.
Skilled movement creates dynamic chases where both sides are actively engaged. When a killer executes a clean rebound or skim tech, it feels like they earned that hit through mastery—not just because they have a faster base speed. That's the kind of gameplay that keeps matches interesting.
Each Killer's Unique Expression
, While Billy, Blight, Oni, and Wesker share the dash category, each has unique tech opportunities:
BILLY:
- Curve tech around obstacles
- Generally higher execution difficulty
- Chainsaw control at high speed
BLIGHT:
- Hug tech (sliding along walls)
- Bump logic optimization
- Rush angle control
- Skim mechanics that turn collision into continuation
ONI:
- Demon Dash control
- Potential Wall-sliding during Blood Fury
- Momentum preservation
WESKER:
- Skinnybert (navigating tight spaces)
- Rebound tech (bouncing to redirect)
- Skybert (vertical plays)
- Skim mechanics similar to Blight
The common thread: turning what would normally stop movement into opportunities for continuation or redirection. This is the core of skill expression for these killers.
Why Nurse Doesn't Apply:
Nurse deserves separate discussion because her power functions fundamentally differently. She phases through terrain rather than interacting with it physically.
Her skill expression comes from:
- Blink precision and prediction
- Reading survivor movement
- Fatigue management
Giving Nurse slide/skim mechanics would be meaningless because she never physically touches obstacles. Her high skill ceiling comes from a different source, and that's fine—not every killer needs the same type of mastery.
The Counterpoint: When Mobility Is the Problem
Ghoul demonstrates what happens when a killer has excessive mobility without requiring skill expression to utilize it effectively.
Ghoul can cross maps faster than most other killer, and this isn't tied to mastery or environmental interaction—it's just raw over tuned numbers.
This is the distinction:
Billy/Blight/Oni/Wesker: High mobility that requires skill to maximize
Ghoul: High mobility that's effective by default. Ghoul needs numerical nerfs, before considering movement techs. He's the example that proves mobility alone isn't the issue—it's whether that mobility rewards mastery.
The Broader Issue: Invisible Walls
Beyond movement techs, there's a larger environmental consistency problem: invisible walls that stop players mid-leap from legitimate surfaces.
Current Problem:
Players (both killer and survivor) hit invisible collision when launching from windows or flat surfaces where physics should allow continuation. Invisible walls on valid ledges don't just stop exploits; they create a jarring 'thump' that breaks the physical logic of the Fog. If I can drop from a ledge as a Survivor, a physics-based Killer should be able to follow that same arc without hitting a mid-air barrier.
Proposed Solution:
Invisible walls should ONLY exist on surfaces players aren't meant to stand on in the first place. If you can jump from a window or drop from a ledge, you shouldn't hit an invisible wall mid-air—that's inconsistent with player expectations and environmental logic.
This affects everyone, not just dash killers, and fixing it would improve environmental consistency across the entire game.
Conclusion:
Keep or Formalize Movement Techs
. When the community discovers emergent mechanics that: Reward practice and mastery
, Create counterplay for skilled opponents
, Don't break game balance
, Make gameplay more dynamic and fun for both sides. The solution isn't to remove them—it's to formalize or preserve them.
Many competitive games have embraced mechanics that started as bugs:
- Fighting game combos
- Rocket League aerials
- Team Fortress rocket jumping
These became core features because they added meaningful depth.
The Request:
- Don't remove skill expression without replacement
- Consider formalizing movement techs for Billy, Blight, Oni, and Wesker
- Fix invisible wall inconsistencies for all players
- Recognize that high skill ceilings benefit everyone—they give players something to work toward and make mastery feel earned
When both survivors and killers have room to improve, the game stays engaging for years. Removing that ceiling helps no one.
TL;DR:
- Dash killers (Billy, Blight, Oni, Wesker) need movement techs for skill expression
- These techs counter survivors who master looping and reward environmental mastery
- They're more fun to play against than holding W against low-mobility killers
- Nurse doesn't apply (phases through terrain) and Ghoul needs nerfs (over tuned mobility)
- Invisible walls should only block illegitimate surfaces, not mid-air leaps from valid positions
- Preserving skill expression benefits the entire player base long-term
Here's the thing that might surprise you: I can't perform over half of Wesker's techs.
Hug tech? Not on your life.
Wall sliding? I wish.
Urobending? One day, maybe.
But that's exactly why I'm writing this.
I'm not defending mechanics I've already mastered—I'm defending the ceiling I want to climb toward. I want to learn. I want to BE the Wesker that makes a survivor question whether that pallet they're hugging is actually safe. I want the opportunity to practice, fail, improve, and eventually execute a clean rebound that makes both me and the survivor go "okay, that was sick."
That's what skill expression is about. It's not just for the people who've already reached the top—it's the reason to keep playing, keep improving, keep engaging with the game's depth.
When you remove techs like these, you're not just taking away tools from masters. You're removing the mountain that players like me are trying to climb. You're flattening the game for everyone.
So yes, I'm a survivor main arguing to keep killer techs I can't even execute yet. Because I recognize that both sides benefit when there's always something new to learn, always another level of mastery to reach.
Don't remove the ceiling. Let us climb.
Written by a Survivor main (90% of 4,737 hours) who mains Wesker in the other 10%—and still recognizes when skill expression benefits both sides.
Comments
How that works? I may know it, just first time I hear this term for Oni.
I am suggesting they give it too him, I do not play Oni myself, but he is in terms a momentum or dash based killer with his power. I feel those killers should be allowed to have "Techs" to make them fun. Really I think all killers should be given some for of skill expression, it is just Dash and Stealth killers I am more familiar with. Like, seeing Oni being able to hug a wall like Bubba to whip around a corner would be frightening and fun imo.