How I would try to fix the Anti Tunnel Mechanics

Hello everyone,

in the last days I was scratching my head about the topic, how to fix the Tunneling problem in DBD.

I was looking for 2 mayor points.

  1. How to get the Survivor out of the tunneling process.
  2. How to reward the killer or atleast don´t make the Anti Tunnel feature abusable.

First of all I tried to think about "What is Tunneling for the mayority of the Survivors and Devs" and I came to the following conclusion.

For the most Survivors tunneling occurs when the Killer goes for the same target twice in a row. Most of the time I heard that it is impossible to do something if the Killer wants you out he will chew through any Anti Tunnel and Anti Tunnelperk in existance. So how about this:

If the survivor gets unhooked he gets an new state "call it illusive or what so ever". In this state, the survivor becomes ghost like and the Killer can not interact with the Survivor at all. (No hitting, no grabbing, no bodyblocking) This state is active as long as the Survivor does no suspicious action, another Survivor gets hooked or he wants to abbandon the state when the Killer is out of the terror radius or a fix distance (because of undetectable).

Now you ask why should a survivor abbandon the state and it could be abused to get safely to a gen. But what if the survivor can only move slowly while in this state and I mean slowly. This would have the following affect.

If the Killer decides to tunnel or follow the Survivor he can´t do anything, while the rest of the team finishes the gens and escape. (So it is not viable)

The Killer on the other hand gets some natural slow down, because the Survivor moves slowly and can not hop straight back to a gen.

What do you think?

Is this better than the new Anti Tunnel or is it abusable and I don´t see it.

Comments

  • Nobody got an opinon to this?
    I am open to criticism aswell

  • @Leon_van_Straken said:

    Nobody got an opinon to this?
    I am open to criticism aswell

    The idea comes up every now and then and is the most direct solution. It runs into a few potential problems:

    Mostly its a feel/fun issue. Yes, you've made tunneling impossible, but the issue isn't just about taking tunneling off the board entirely. Like a lot of game elements, its about finding the happy medium, not too easy, not too hard, with meaningful impacts from players choices.

    DbD is an elimination game and finding the right balance between those eliminations being meaningful but not overwhelming is the challenge. Survivors should be nervous/excited/stressed when on death hook, but if it either to hard too get away from the hook, or too easy, then the game loses that exciting element.

  • Theres tunneling=going for same target after they get unhooked and hard tunneling=Going for the same target 3 times in a row to eliminate them quickly.

  • @Leon_van_Straken said:

    Hello everyone,

    in the last days I was scratching my head about the topic, how to fix the Tunneling problem in DBD.

    I was looking for 2 mayor points.

    1. How to get the Survivor out of the tunneling process.
    2. How to reward the killer or atleast don´t make the Anti Tunnel feature abusable.

    First of all I tried to think about "What is Tunneling for the mayority of the Survivors and Devs" and I came to the following conclusion.

    For the most Survivors tunneling occurs when the Killer goes for the same target twice in a row. Most of the time I heard that it is impossible to do something if the Killer wants you out he will chew through any Anti Tunnel and Anti Tunnelperk in existance. So how about this:

    If the survivor gets unhooked he gets an new state "call it illusive or what so ever". In this state, the survivor becomes ghost like and the Killer can not interact with the Survivor at all. (No hitting, no grabbing, no bodyblocking) This state is active as long as the Survivor does no suspicious action, another Survivor gets hooked or he wants to abbandon the state when the Killer is out of the terror radius or a fix distance (because of undetectable).

    Now you ask why should a survivor abbandon the state and it could be abused to get safely to a gen. But what if the survivor can only move slowly while in this state and I mean slowly. This would have the following affect.

    If the Killer decides to tunnel or follow the Survivor he can´t do anything, while the rest of the team finishes the gens and escape. (So it is not viable)

    The Killer on the other hand gets some natural slow down, because the Survivor moves slowly and can not hop straight back to a gen.

    What do you think?

    Is this better than the new Anti Tunnel or is it abusable and I don´t see it.

    I think that making tunneling impossible shouldn't be the course of action but rather making it a bit more unappealing and then give some base-kit buffs to unique hooks, something more than this useless bloodlust.

  • @crogers271 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4025360#Comment_4025360

    The idea comes up every now and then and is the most direct solution. It runs into a few potential problems:

    Mostly its a feel/fun issue. Yes, you've made tunneling impossible, but the issue isn't just about taking tunneling off the board entirely. Like a lot of game elements, its about finding the happy medium, not too easy, not too hard, with meaningful impacts from players choices.

    DbD is an elimination game and finding the right balance between those eliminations being meaningful but not overwhelming is the challenge. Survivors should be nervous/excited/stressed when on death hook, but if it either to hard too get away from the hook, or too easy, then the game loses that exciting element.

    @angrychuck said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/460050/how-i-would-try-to-fix-the-anti-tunnel-mechanics

    I think that making tunneling impossible shouldn't be the course of action but rather making it a bit more unappealing and then give some base-kit buffs to unique hooks, something more than this useless bloodlust.

    I understand where you come from. But my idea doesn´t make tunneling impossible. It makes the direct tunneling of hook impossible.

    And still give the Killer natural slowdown if he decides to chase another survivor.

    Remeber I said, the survivor is just untoouchable until he gives the "green light" by himself or it is clear that the Killer isn´t tunneling.

    1. The survivor makes a suspicious action like touching a gen, self heal and so on
    2. The Killer hooks someone else
    3. The Survivor abbandons the state to be part in the game again.

    The slowdown for the kill occurs in the time which the survivor is in the same state, because he moves slowly and can´t touch a gen immediatly after unhook.

  • I don't think anyone would find this a good idea.

    Survivors would get mad that they are slowed down, killers would be mad that they can't even give the survivor that got unhooked in their face Deep Wound. And tunnelers would be mad too but who cares.

    Not even mentioning DS, a survivor favorite, ceasing to exist with this.