I feel stupid when I play DBD

I'm actually not sure what I'm hoping to achieve with this post. I probably just want to vent a moment of frustration that's been slowly building up over time. Sometimes talking helps.

You're probably thinking this is going to be a rant about killers being OP and everything being so terribly unfair, but that's not it. I'm frustrated with myself. I've played the game for almost exactly 1200 hours now, and I just can't get any better at chases. The usual tips like watching good survivor players and YouTube videos don't help; as soon as I'm in a chase, I panic and forget everything I've seen others do. Learning how to run tiles (e.g., from the aforementioned videos) doesn't work either; I can't get it into my head, no matter how hard I try.

Some people with 50-100 hours last longer in chases than I do. I usually can't even last 15 seconds.At this point, I'm downright ashamed and doubt my own intelligence. Am I stupid? Why can't my brain memorize how to run tiles? Is it because I probably have ADHD? I was diagnosed with it as a child, but I don't know if it goes away in adulthood.

Actually, I can't be stupid; I passed my medical exam with an A. But as soon as I play DBD, I doubt my own IQ. At this point, I don't even know if I ever want to play the game again. Today I got to the point where I actually disconnected (forgive me) because I was so ashamed that I almost instantly get downed by every killer. It was like that back in 2021 and it is like that today, No improvement.

I like the game, but I'm not having fun with it anymore because I just can't manage to keep chases going. When I spectate my teammates, I feel even stupider. It seems like every single DBD player can loop better than me.

Sorry guys for the whining, but I felt like I just had to let it out somewhere. Feel free to ignore me. :)

Comments

  • @IWantCandys said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3985176#Comment_3985176

    Thanks again for the suggestion to play with you, I really appreciate it.I think I might need more time for something like this. I'm a bit socially anxious when I don't know people personally, especially with voice chat. That's why I play solo queue. I hope this gets better at some point, because it's definitely more fun to play with others.

    I can't emphasis this enough: you should never, EVER feel pressured into voice chat.

    I play with random friend-requesters. Most of them I've never exchanged even a single text with. Some I talk to through text. Some I've even played with for many, many hours and been in VC but I myself have never spoken. They're all okay with it, and listening in helps me be part of the group. When someone new adds me I immediately tell them no VC. Everyone is immediately understanding. If I ever get someone who isn't, I'll just delete them. Easy as that.

    I teally recommened trying to play with someone. Just having another person linked to you in the game makes a world of difference in how it feels. I landed a friend early on who was better than me and so much braver and seeing how bold she acted completely changed not just my playstyle but how I regarded the whole experience.

  • @cogsturning said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3985430#Comment_3985430

    I can't emphasis this enough: you should never, EVER feel pressured into voice chat.

    I play with random friend-requesters. Most of them I've never exchanged even a single text with. Some I talk to through text. Some I've even played with for many, many hours and been in VC but I myself have never spoken. They're all okay with it, and listening in helps me be part of the group. When someone new adds me I immediately tell them no VC. Everyone is immediately understanding. If I ever get someone who isn't, I'll just delete them. Easy as that.

    I teally recommened trying to play with someone. Just having another person linked to you in the game makes a world of difference in how it feels. I landed a friend early on who was better than me and so much braver and seeing how bold she acted completely changed not just my playstyle but how I regarded the whole experience.

    You summed it up very well. Our group is open for everyone who share a common interest in the game, and for those who are happy to make new friends. You would definitely fit in well with us @cogsturning
    We love messing around, playing meme builds and just being a fun bunch altogether.

  • @THE_Crazy_Hyena said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3985475#Comment_3985475

    You summed it up very well. Our group is open for everyone who share a common interest in the game, and for those who are happy to make new friends. You would definitely fit in well with us @cogsturning
    We love messing around, playing meme builds and just being a fun bunch altogether.

    yeah I’m cool with whoever wants to join.

  • If you can find a group of friends to play with, I highly suggest that you give killer another chance in custom matches. You'd be in an environnment where there are no stakes whatsoever and watching survivors counter you as a killer will help develop your survivor game. Not only that, but maybe it could help in due time help out with your killer anxiety.

    You shouldn't let a few bad experiences as killer stunt you. Not every survivor is out there to make your life miserable. I can safely say I've had way more killer games where the survivors were well meaning instead of those where everyone was a total jerk, playing to make your life worse. We just have a tendency as people to focus more on the negative experiences than the positive ones.

    Whatever you end up doing, here's to hoping you can find peace within yourself.

1 2 ›