Final Map Overhaul Improvements
Maps I think have potential, but the aren't quIte there. I liked @jesterkinds take a lot, though I have my own thoughts on where I think maps should be, as I really want yo avoid the aura overload of old Iri maps... and the WoO basekit I feel is a good buff to not go back there... but we need more charges (but not the iri).
Sharpened Flint also needs improving. I reported a bug that demonstrates an issue with Sharpened Flint out of chests, that shows both auras instead of totems or windows/pallets... and quite honestly it was cool... I liked my map in this variation.
So here is my final revised list of map changes:
- Map tiers gain 8/10/12 charges (up from 4/5/6)
- Generators just revealed with window and pallet auras (instead of only working off the pillar of light)
- Gates added to aura list basekit. (Instead of not being usable at all)
- Pillar of Light decoupled from auras and placable without channeling. (Instead tbe awkward and clunky double use they have now)
- Totem add-on just adds totems to the aura list, but halves the charges. (Instead of either or)
- Iri add-on reworked to no longer reveal the killers aura, instead reveals the aura of the channeling map itself, and all visible auras to it to all survivors. (Killer aura under the pullar of light completely removed)
The Bug is here to see new Sharpened Flint in action... isn't it pretty?
@UndeddJester said:
SUMMARY OF THE ISSUE: I'm not entirely sure exactly of the cause (due to difficulty testing), but if I get a map out of a chest with Sharpened Flint (Using Ace in the Hole), activating the aura will reveal both pallets/windows AND totem auras.
This differs from bringing a map directly in the trial, where only the auras of the totems are revealed.
I would actually ask this to be a basekit feature of Sharpened Flint, but either way, the behaviour if the add-on is inconsistent.
PLATFORM: PS5
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW THE ISSUE OCCURED:
My repro case was:
- My friend equipped Plunderer's Instinct, Ace in the Hole, Streetwise and Appraisal.
- Opened chest and got items. Map was found with Sharpened Flint.
- Using the map revealed with auras of windows/pallets and totems.
Bringing this manually into the trial only reveals totems.
CAPTURE:
https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/JSX559BROXFC/1989392972813-screenshoturl.jpg
Original discussion with full thoughts and context here:
@UndeddJester said:
I was making my own thread on this with largely the same observations, but since you've done the work, I'll just pop them in here. My quick fire thoughts:
- Gens - I agree the beam of light for gen auras is clunky, to my mind it should just be inherent to the map user, I'd use the shared effect later.
- Gates - Also, why not just allow them to track gates as well basekit, no add on required? Experienced players already known the possible spawns, or at least structure that indicates the gate location in the distance, just make gate tracking a part of maps in general. It's not really an effect that make sor breaks the items.
- Hatch - Not needed. The only argument I have for not making this basekit or a feature of the new maps in general, is there are already enough incentives to slug for the 4k, I don't think killers need more reasons. It was almost always a pointless part of maps anyway, so I don't miss it. You can't find it until it spawns, which if the map tracked and revealed it, you pretty much already found it, most killers slug for the 4k anyway, and if the killer finds it first a map revealing its aura isn't gonna help you. It was pointless on old maps, and I don't think its healthy for new maps. Hatch should be hatch, a bit like death saving throws in D&D, no modifiers, just rolling the dice and fate.
- Chests - Also not needed, chests fit the bill more for keys if anything, and I don't like the aura overload of old maps.
- Pillar of Light - The light beam should also just be a thing I can turn on and off without charges, decouple it from the other aura effects. Start to channel and pop it down or turn it off with the action button... this would make Pillar feel more like they used to work... and old pillar was nice, not strong enough to override the value you needed from othwr addons on old maps, but just a nice effect that would be pleasant to have basekit. (I'll come to the iri).
- Charges - The shift tontime based charges I think is fine. Easier to balance giving strong effects around charges if players can't "flash" auras. However itln that same breathe, I don't like thesmall number of charges. For keys low charges make sense because player auras are quite clutch and something you want deliberately want at specific times. Map auras are largely convenience and something you want to check much more often. I'd say go nuts and give them 8/10/12 charges.
- Totems - I have no issue with totems not being basekit, one thing I disliked about iri maps of old was it was pure aura overload... and this totem always countered Hex's really hard, so I don't mind it being purple... however the fact you lose other auras sucks. Just have it add totems to the list of auras, and then, in conjunction with the buff to map charges, lower the charges by 50%.
- The iri... see below.
Iridescent Rework
The Iri offering revealing the killer to me is illogical to what maps are for. Keys are for players, maps are for terrain, and I think keeping this logic distinct is much better for maintaining eaches identity. I also believe that maps are a much more convenient item than keys, and having this killer aura reveal means the charges have to be lower to account for it. So would say remove the killer aura from the iridescent to allow more charges.
I would then make it so that channelling a map with the iridescent reveals the aura of the map itself, and any aura it sees to all other survivors.
While this doesn't sound particularly flash on paper, it opens up a lot of subtle and clever uses for maps: -
- Can used to preemptively support teammates you know are near dead zones, making use of the large radius of maps to ensure you both can reach safety.
- Points out where the map user is (also in a funny unique way), which can be used for calls to heal, help set up for flashlights, pallet stuns and Michone dropkicks, and if in chase generally provides info on where the killer is in a similar way to how Empathy does.
- Allows the map user to highlight key locations, so if you want players to see a particular aura (say a hex totem or a nearly complete gen) you can pillar it as you run away, affirming a teammate has the chance to pick it up, because they can see you in chase.
TLDR
That's how I see maps working best: -
- 8/10/12 charges
- Generators just revealed with WoO auras.
- Gates added to aura list basekit.
- Pillar of Light decoupled from auras and placable without channeling.
- Totem add-on just adds totems to the aura list, but halves the charges.
- Iri add-on reworked to no longer revela the killers aura, instead reveals the aura of the channeling map, and all visible auras to it to all survivors.
Comments
EDIT:
One change I have always wanted with the beam of light is to reveal it's aura to all survivors. This way if you're on an indoor map, the beacon will still show your teammates what gen to do in solo queue for example.
Not a bad idea to be fair.
I also wouldn't mind if the beam was a bit quieter if it has the aura. I don't dislike the sound of the beam, it gives a nice flavour… but sometimes I struggle to hear things over it's constant ringing when its nearby...
So that too would be a nice improvement. 🤘
Bump, as the totem add-on not seeing windows/pallets seems to be a bug rather than intended.
This means I would push the extra charges and give the totem add-on thus charges penalty for sure, because if you get the totem with no trade off, the totem add-on becomes mandatory.
Even if it's just 6/8/10 charges for non totem revealing maps so that totems get 3/4/5 uses (a little too weak in my opinion), but that still gives meaningful choices on what kind of value you want from maps, which is the important distinction.
And I definitely want to re-stress the Iri change, killer aura does not belong on maps. Maps want more charges at base so we can use them to find terrain more liberally, not as a direct strong anti chase tool.