In-game Offerings

Add a bonfire to each level where all players (survivors AND killer) can burn offerings that are collected from pouches in hard-to-find areas of the map. (1 offering per player? As many as they can find? Not sure, but fun both ways).

These are NOT offerings that a player can choose before the match. They can have various effects that may not be fair if they’re not random. Here are a few ideas, though of course the devs would need to work out the specifics of game balance.

—increase bloodpoints in certain categories (stacks with pre-game offerings)
—increase/decrease dark mist (stacks with pre-game offerings)
—increase the bloodpoint cap for certain categories.
—recharge currently held item
—repair 1 cleansed dull/hex totem
—repair 1 destroyed hook
—repair 1-3 pallets
—recover 1 stage of the sacrifice process (extra chance to be hooked)
—change the location of the basement
—increase running speed slightly for 2-3 minutes
—leave no scratch marks for 2-3 minutes
—no terror radius for 2-3 minutes
—Drastically increase field of view (killer) or camera height (survivor) for 2-3 minutes
—improve hearing for 2-3 minutes
—reduce noise/grunt/whimpers for 2-3 minutes
—increased wiggle speed for 5 minutes
—disable all perks for all players for 2-3 minutes
—all vaults are blocked for 1 minute
—1 more (or 1 less) generator must be repaired before the hatch spawns
—all players hear a horrifying scream while their screen flashes
—earthquake
—douse the bonfire permanently to prevent others from using offerings

Again, just ideas, but I believe this process would allow the introduction of very powerful, game altering, yet short-lived abilities. It could also allow the introduction of entertaining curiosities that don’t change the game much.

Should the player know what the offering does before they burn it? I’m on the fence about this.

I’m eager to hear other ideas you guys come up with!

Comments

  • Sounds cool and crazy OP. I think it should be more like a random event during the match to spice things up. Increase bloodpoint gain for a limited time (Blood moon) etc. I just want luck mechanic to play a bigger role than a better hook chance.
  • I completely agree. I think if each offering were unknown to the player before burning, then luck would be the primary driver. “Would the offering be good or bad for me? Should I take the risk and burn it?” I think we should avoid anything that would reduce bloodpoints though.

    I also think this idea would give a new layer to gameplay in that the bonfire would be one a commonly visited area, leading to more opportunities for encounters. According to game lore, the bonfire is a safe zone in a monster-filled realm. Perhaps survivors become invulnerable when they near it. This would be for a short time (enough to burn an offering) and have a long recharge. This would open up new strategies!