Anyone feeling the same? (License overbloat in DbD)

I don't think I care anymore about what DLC from any license comes from. Maybe something very rare like Slenderman would excite me, but most of licenses do not excit me anymore. I feel like these is so many of them and they are dropped so offten (now with Walking Dead, 0% interested for me) like lost it's charm. I would honestly prefer more original stuff at this point.

Comments

  • @BoonRainDice said:

    I don't think I care anymore about what DLC from any license comes from. Maybe something very rare like Slenderman would excite me, but most of licenses do not excit me anymore. I feel like these is so many of them and they are dropped so offten (now with Walking Dead, 0% interested for me) like lost it's charm. I would honestly prefer more original stuff at this point.

    i think bhvr should look into the entities creations when making an original. Like instead of the killer being plucked from a certain world this one would be created/molded by the entity itself. (im still waiting for the Indoraptor from jurassic world to join the fog one day tho)

  • I think it’s more of a combination of license fatigue as well as release fatigue in general.

    Too many chapters, one after the other. And then there’s the changes to existing content and I couldn’t tell you what most of the game’s add-ons do anymore.

  • Whilst I love seeing licenses in the game, alongside all the possibilities of future options, sometimes I'll be looking at fanmade ideas and there are so many good possibilities.

    Amongst them, I've seen takes on mythological creatures, military, futuristic killers, ghosts and spirits, Entity-kissed beasts and original creations I cannot begin to describe accurately enough. All of them could be amazing ideas, and it would be great to see more of them.

    Of course, licenses can bring in the big money, so it's understandable. However, as shown by some chapters such as Cursed Legacy and All Things Wicked, original titles can very profitable, given the right build-up and design. If anything, bringing the excitement back of new chapter build-ups, rather than spoiling in advance, can be just as good for the pockets.

  • License fatigue is very real, but even just general content fatigue currently has its deathgrip on DBD. The last few years have given us so much content that it's practically suffocating.

    And just for review of all DBD years

    • Year 1: 9 Survivors (2 Licensed) + 7 Killers (1 Licensed).
    • Year 2: 3 Survivors (2 Licensed) + 4 Killers (3 Licensed).
    • Year 3: 5 Survivors (1 Licensed) + 4 Killers (all Original).
    • Year 4: 4 Survivors (2 Licensed) + 4 Killers (2 Licensed).
    • Year 5: 4 Survivors (1 Licensed) + 4 Killers (1 Licensed).
    • Year 6: 5 Survivors (3 Licensed) + 4 Killers (3 Licensed).
    • Year 7: 6 Survivors (2 Licensed) + 4 Killers (1 Licensed).
    • Year 8: 5 Survivors (3 Licensed) + 4 Killers (2 Licensed).
    • Year 9: 5 Survivors (3 Licensed) + 4 Killers (3 Licensed).
    • And the current year is set for 6 Survivors (4 Licensed) + 3 Killers (2 Licensed).

    Overall, by the end of the year, we'll have 94 characters in the game, not counting legendary Survivors from whatever other collaborations suddenly happen. 41 of those are licensed characters (about 44%). But from Year 6 onward, 26 of the 46 characters (roughly 57%) have been licensed, and that disparity is only going to get worse. And that's without going into the mid-chapters starting to become chapters in their own right (Nick Cage & Alan Wake in Year 8, Lara Croft & Orela Rose in Year 9, and now the Walking Dead in Year 10). And it's becoming clearer than ever that BHVR can't keep up anymore. Just look at the PTB, where Michonne, one of the core characters they're trying to sell, literally DOES NOT WORK.

    I'm not saying I want to see BHVR stop doing licenses. For better or worse, DBD is THE Horror Hall of Fame (and also D&D & Tomb Raider for some reason), and they're keeping the game alive. But I would like to go back to the release pace of older years, both for original and licensed content.

  • I really enjoy the licenses but I like the original content they come up with so much more, and there’s always more liberties they can take with original content vs licensed. I wouldn’t say I’m fatigued because it’s enjoyable either way, but I much prefer their spins on things.

  • its the release cycle; the show must keep going on. the most anticipated chapter is already almost a footnote

  • The big problem is that BHVR is using mid-chapters to release more license content. If we were only getting 4 chapters a year and 1-2 of them were license, I don't think there would be that many complaints. But when we're getting 6 chapters in a year and 3 of them are licensed, you can just feel BHVR focusing on the money.

  • For me it doesn't help that the licenses they've been getting are ones I could careless about.

  • I'm only fatigued because I'm not a fan of any of the recent licenses. You wouldn't hear me complaining when we were getting Alien and Chucky back-to-back. Definitely looking forward to the original chapter in September more than anything else. Fortunately the licensed chapters are generally well executed so I can still have fun with them.

  • On the one hand, I do feel like BHVR don't have the resources or the time to polish up their licensed content properly before release. A lot or recent chapters have felt rushed or incomplete. Springtrap should not have launched with that invisible bug he had when leaving the security room and I think any other Killer would have been kill switched.

    On the other hand, DBD branching out into collaborations that aren't strictly horror or are "horror-lite" (Alan Wake, Tomb Raider, D&D, FNAF) means that I'm more likely to get a few of the horror adjacent things on my own personal wish list come to the game (it's been a bit of a content drought for me, recently). So I guess there are positives and negatives. For the health of the game I do think they should cool it a little, content wise. But then again, licenses are what keeps the game alive so… 🤷‍♂️