New Map/Realm Variants

So the head scratching decision to add another Eyrie of Crows map that literally no one wanted got me thinking; if new realm variations are going to be implemented, why not mix it up in more interesting ways than just moving tiles and buildings around:

  1. Make day/night variations. Yes, I'm thinking about EoC in particular (a nighttime, moonlit desert map would be gorgeous), but a similar variant would be fun for other maps. And it would add an element of intrigue and risk to burning an offering for a map like EoC: are you going to get the surv sided version, or the killer sided one? I think it would be fun.
  2. Variants with different weather. Granting that it might be difficult to implement dynamic weather that changes mid match, how about variants of the same map with different weather conditions?

For me, creating variants that are so similar to each other just isn't exciting, and I think more dramatic variations would be a nice way to freshen up tired or un popular realms.

Some in particular I'd love to see:

Nighttime (or twilight) Eyrie

Nighttime/Blizzard Ormond

Nighttime Coldwind (for nostalgia, if nothing else)

Daytime Red Forest (not fully lit, but with beams/shafts of light coming down through the trees)

Twilight/Rainy Swamp

Anyway, just a thought I'm sure others have had.

Comments

  • Yes I agree.

    Also snow covered Dead Dawg Saloon with Aurora Australis as a Christmas/winter map

  • @Spare_Them_Mori_Me said:

    A night/day version of maps would just be amazing. Definitely something I feel could add a lot of depth to the game overall.

    Yeah, and for a map like EoC it would be more than aesthetic, it would change the entire experience, functionally flipping how it plays. I know changing the lighting for a map isn't as simple as moving a slider, but it would be like a whole new map. Others, too.

  • @Thusly_Boned said:

    So the head scratching decision to add another Eyrie of Crows map that literally no one wanted got me thinking; if new realm variations are going to be implemented, why not mix it up in more interesting ways than just moving tiles and buildings around:

    1. Make day/night variations. Yes, I'm thinking about EoC in particular (a nighttime, moonlit desert map would be gorgeous), but a similar variant would be fun for other maps. And it would add an element of intrigue and risk to burning an offering for a map like EoC: are you going to get the surv sided version, or the killer sided one? I think it would be fun.
    2. Variants with different weather. Granting that it might be difficult to implement dynamic weather that changes mid match, how about variants of the same map with different weather conditions?

    For me, creating variants that are so similar to each other just isn't exciting, and I think more dramatic variations would be a nice way to freshen up tired or un popular realms.

    Some in particular I'd love to see:

    Nighttime (or twilight) Eyrie

    Nighttime/Blizzard Ormond

    Nighttime Coldwind (for nostalgia, if nothing else)

    Daytime Red Forest (not fully lit, but with beams/shafts of light coming down through the trees)

    Twilight/Rainy Swamp

    Anyway, just a thought I'm sure others have had.

    I would love night time dead saloon would fit its more drink after work or what not theme. It be nice if they add rain and lightning effects too like tcm does on their maps.