At this point, I feel the devs owe us an explanation on the issue with cheating and EAC
Its been obvious for awhile that easy anti cheat is garbage. Many legit people have gotten banned wrongfully while the cheaters are legit just thriving here. The uptick in cheaters, bots and just regular cheaters, has increased horribly and now cheaters are hacking and impersonating streamers getting them banned.
What is BHVR doing about this? Innocent people are getting wrongfully banned for this and it’s clear easy anti cheat is garbage and just letting anything through. What is the deal here? Can we at least get some acknowledgement that they know this is a problem and they’re trying to do something about it?
Comments
EAC is not developed by BHVR, it is it's own company and used in many games. Give an example of an anti-cheat system that stops all cheating? You won't find one.
Now, there are things BHVR should be doing since we were forced onto dedicated servers years ago. Monitoring player positions to catch teleports for one. I feel there are many things they could do server side to at least flag cheaters.
I’m aware EAC is not BHVR owned, I never said or implied it was. I’m aware its a service they use. I also never said anyone could stop ALL hacking so you’re arguing a straw man there. At least reply to what I’ve actually said and don’t make assumptions.
What I’m saying is that the extent and the uptick in these hackers is alarming and especially without any acknowledgement from BHVR that they’re aware of these issues and they’re trying to work on it. The fact that content creators are being targeted and banned because they’re being impersonated is not only alarming, it’s frustrating for them to stream BHVRs game and then get banned for hackers because of an AI automated ban system.
It’s not unreasonable to expect a company to acknowledge a huge issue that keeps being posted about on their forums and social media and tell us what steps they’re taking to try and get it under control. I’ve played other games with hackers too but those companies have been way more transparent about what’s being done to cull this issue. Also EAC is not the only anti cheat service but it’s the one I’ve seen that seems to let the most garbage slip thru the cracks.
Also we need to acknowledge what a monstrously horrible decision it is/was for BHVR to make this game free on epic games because that’s where one of the biggest influx of hackers came from. Making huge numbers of free accounts so that they have plenty of backups when they start getting banned. I get trying to market your game to get people to play it but that was a horrible idea that never should have left whatever meeting it came up in.
EAC is notorious for just being bad. It doesn't actually work to stop cheaters most of the time, and at best sometimes leads to false positives. Both things you don't want in an anti-cheat system.
Time for BHVR to spend some of that Feng cosmetics money to get a better anti cheat then. Seems like the obvious answer. I wish they'd make their own like Riot did for Valorant. It's called Vanguard. Vanguard is an anti-cheat system used in Valorant, and it DOES incorporate AI modules to help detect cheating behaviors, although the exact details of how they are implemented are not publicly disclosed by Riot Games; this allows the system to analyze complex gameplay patterns and identify potential cheating more effectively.
DBD would benefit a whole hell of a lot from getting better anti cheat, but who knows how long that wait will be… :/