Problem of 'going next'

Reading through the forums for quite some time made me realize the community is very split on rather its fine for a person to go next if a game is going badly or if its considered annoying and toxic, so what if instead we add a surrender option? it can activate after a certain amount of time has passed and needs 3/4 survivors to agree, if the vote fails the game continues as normal but if succeeds then will kill the survivors on the spot like it happens when the end game timer runs out, and killer can have a small bonus. Not sure if this posts belongs in questions or discussion, but I thought this would be appropriate, thoughts?

Comments

  • I’m going to go with no, because I just think that pop ups in a match aren’t ideal, and forcing a match to end just because you don’t like the way it is going is kind of unfair to the other team regardless of which side it is. I’ve played through survivors dcing in mass and killers dcing in mass and it just ruins the game one way or another for someone. That’s just killing the experience for others. I think there’s other ways to make matches more enjoyable. Can I ask why you think there should be a forfeit option? Like what scenarios are coming to your mind when you think “a team should be able to vote to forfeit”?

  • @HeroLives said:

    I’m going to go with no, because I just think that pop ups in a match aren’t ideal, and forcing a match to end just because you don’t like the way it is going is kind of unfair to the other team regardless of which side it is. I’ve played through survivors dcing in mass and killers dcing in mass and it just ruins the game one way or another for someone. That’s just killing the experience for others. I think there’s other ways to make matches more enjoyable. Can I ask why you think there should be a forfeit option? Like what scenarios are coming to your mind when you think “a team should be able to vote to forfeit”?

    The type of scenario I'm thinking is mostly from my person games where there's always a person who decides to go next and the chain continues with the rest of the team, although a ff option isn't ideal, I feel if the majority of the team agrees to quit anyway, it'd be better for the opposite side to get something out of it while also not wasting time for the survs who wanted to continue the game so they aren't down 1 or 2 players who decide it's not going well. As killer it also sucks as I don't want to waste my time chasing bots cause there's no fun in it. Though I see how an ff option might not work well.

  • @dreamWarden said:

    Reading through the forums for quite some time made me realize the community is very split on rather its fine for a person to go next if a game is going badly or if its considered annoying and toxic, so what if instead we add a surrender option? it can activate after a certain amount of time has passed and needs 3/4 survivors to agree, if the vote fails the game continues as normal but if succeeds then will kill the survivors on the spot like it happens when the end game timer runs out, and killer can have a small bonus. Not sure if this posts belongs in questions or discussion, but I thought this would be appropriate, thoughts?

    Surrender comes up every now and then.

    Problem 1: as a game designer, you want your game design to have a climatic finish. DbD, in my opinion, does this more frequently than a lot of games were you have things coming down right to the wire (trying to finish a gen as a killer rushes at you, getting caught at the gates, etc.).

    In my opinion, this is also why they've been spending the last couple of years working around with a basekit mori system because the end game there is just kind of 'meh'.

    A surrender option is antithetical to this goal. Games just end. It's kind of like when a killer DCs. It doesn't have nearly the same feeling as actually getting out of the gate (though at the other extreme, which is a danger, some players will take it as a point of pride).

    Problem 2: Hatch mechanic. The game balance is built around kill rates, and hatch escapes are part of this. If you had a surrender option, especially if it didn't require a unanimous vote, you'd see kill rates go up because this stage isn't getting played out anymore.

    Problem 3: A surrender option leads to survivors quitting on each other. If two survivors want to surrender, and the others don't, that increases the chances those first two survivors just stop trying in the trial altogether.

    Other games:

    From what I've heard, in some games with a surrender option seeing a game played out to conclusion is extremely rare.

    What would you need is something like chess, where I believe there is a etiquette that it is polite to surrender if you are in an unwinnable position but the game is still going to take a long time, but rude to surrender when check mate is just a few moves away (may vary by region for all I know, anyone more familiar with chess can correct me). So you'd need some type of mid game surrender option that doesn't continue into the end game.

    Personal View: if this was just about making the game fun for me, I'd take a surrender option with limitations immediately. But I think the option would really ruin the experience for newer and more casual players for whom the full experience of the game is important.

  • @crogers271 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/438558/problem-of-going-next

    Surrender comes up every now and then.

    Problem 1: as a game designer, you want your game design to have a climatic finish. DbD, in my opinion, does this more frequently than a lot of games were you have things coming down right to the wire (trying to finish a gen as a killer rushes at you, getting caught at the gates, etc.).

    In my opinion, this is also why they've been spending the last couple of years working around with a basekit mori system because the end game there is just kind of 'meh'.

    A surrender option is antithetical to this goal. Games just end. It's kind of like when a killer DCs. It doesn't have nearly the same feeling as actually getting out of the gate (though at the other extreme, which is a danger, some players will take it as a point of pride).

    Problem 2: Hatch mechanic. The game balance is built around kill rates, and hatch escapes are part of this. If you had a surrender option, especially if it didn't require a unanimous vote, you'd see kill rates go up because this stage isn't getting played out anymore.

    Problem 3: A surrender option leads to survivors quitting on each other. If two survivors want to surrender, and the others don't, that increases the chances those first two survivors just stop trying in the trial altogether.

    Other games:

    From what I've heard, in some games with a surrender option seeing a game played out to conclusion is extremely rare.

    What would you need is something like chess, where I believe there is a etiquette that it is polite to surrender if you are in an unwinnable position but the game is still going to take a long time, but rude to surrender when check mate is just a few moves away (may vary by region for all I know, anyone more familiar with chess can correct me). So you'd need some type of mid game surrender option that doesn't continue into the end game.

    Personal View: if this was just about making the game fun for me, I'd take a surrender option with limitations immediately. But I think the option would really ruin the experience for newer and more casual players for whom the full experience of the game is important.

    Yeah I would much rather be bleed out because the last 1 or 2 survivors who didn't didn't do anything all game are hiding and not working on gens, a surrender option would just ruin the experience. But in all honesty those survivors would probably just vote not to surrender anyway, lol.

  • @SharonPancakes said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3884086#Comment_3884086

    Yeah I would much rather be bleed out because the last 1 or 2 survivors who didn't didn't do anything all game are hiding and not working on gens, a surrender option would just ruin the experience. But in all honesty those survivors would probably just vote not to surrender anyway, lol.

    There are other ways to fix how long bleed outs take without going to 'full team' surrender.

  • I've been a long time advocate of the surrender option and would happily welcome the option, among other alt suggestions such as faster bleed out and the likes. If the writing is on the wall, then I'd rather mutually bow out and go onto the next one. If survs are slugged on the ground, no reason to have to wait around, especially if you are the last 2 slugged. Bot teammates or just trolling or wanting to SoH…The experience is already dead and gone. It's been soiled, sodamized, vandalized, sold down the river for cheap, and the culture will never be what it once was in the early days, even what the playerbase and devs built on that culture through the middle years. There's been a fundamental shift, and as a part of that now, everyday it's a new post of "I could only play 4 games until I had to play something else". Like, yea I really don't blame people for being tired of being stuck in unwinnable games, especially back-to-back. I would be too.

    With the state of modern DBDs gameplay and with the player agency that has been chipped at and taken away over the years on both sides, there is little chance for a comeback like there used to be. Now-a-days I'd take the bet every time that the side who dominates early on will be the side that wins. 99% of the time the game will be decided within the first ~2-3 minutes. It's that simple. That's why now would be the time to do it more than any other time in the game's history. So, yeah i'd be open to that along with other reasonable suggestions i've seen that are pointed at addressing the issue.

  • I play solo survivor where game is often lost 2 min in. So yes I go next very often and will continue to do so. If I can't go next then I'd rather just eat the dc penalty. This is the reality of being a solo survivor.

  • @Nun_So_Vile said:

    I've been a long time advocate of the surrender option and would happily welcome the option, among other alt suggestions such as faster bleed out and the likes. If the writing is on the wall, then I'd rather mutually bow out and go onto the next one. If survs are slugged on the ground, no reason to have to wait around, especially if you are the last 2 slugged. Bot teammates or just trolling or wanting to SoH…The experience is already dead and gone. It's been soiled, sodamized, vandalized, sold down the river for cheap, and the culture will never be what it once was in the early days, even what the playerbase and devs built on that culture through the middle years. There's been a fundamental shift, and as a part of that now, everyday it's a new post of "I could only play 4 games until I had to play something else". Like, yea I really don't blame people for being tired of being stuck in unwinnable games, especially back-to-back. I would be too.

    With the state of modern DBDs gameplay and with the player agency that has been chipped at and taken away over the years on both sides, there is little chance for a comeback like there used to be. Now-a-days I'd take the bet every time that the side who dominates early on will be the side that wins. 99% of the time the game will be decided within the first ~2-3 minutes. It's that simple. That's why now would be the time to do it more than any other time in the game's history. So, yeah i'd be open to that along with other reasonable suggestions i've seen that are pointed at addressing the issue.

    They should add an uninstall option instead of a surrender option lol