Hiding MMR is causing an echo chamber of misinformation
I haven't realized what a widespread problem this is until Otz released a video earlier today on Xenomorph. He recently came out with a tier list ranking Xeno about mid tier which apparently was "controversial", many people thinking Xeno is in a higher tier or better than it actually is.
Here lies the problem and this is a great example, because these people have never faced a top MMR survivor team that's able to properly counter Xenomorph. They never played against teams that place turrets in the most inconvenient spots (for the killer), survivors who know the map inside and out, survivors that know how to dodge the tail attack despite how "uncounterable" some people say it is. If you've played Xeno against a really good coordinated team you know what I mean, and you know Xeno is definitely not "top tier" like people claim it to be.
Most people haven't reached the hard cap on MMR, but this type of misinformation is spread and accepted in this "bubble" of thinking within the community. And don't get me started on the whole "MMR is a myth" topic, it's been datamined and there are clear soft/hard caps, most people might get to the "gold tier" of ranks but don't reach the absolute max MMR where you face the real sweaty teams.
To put this all bluntly, most people's opinions don't matter in terms of balancing the game because they've never faced the best, and they don't know this because they think they're playing against the best players. Maybe it's an issue with MMR and the whole matchmaking system too, but at least MMR should be shown to people for an ego check (for lack of better words).
Comments
I believe that the people can take it no issue even if they are a bit scared there will be people that feel preassured by it, so I think they should just have it activated normally but give an option to toggle it if you really want to. That way everyone would be happy and we wouldn't have this type of guessing with the mmr xD
I also like to compare DbD to fighting games, but to illustrate what a skill based game is, and what it is not. To me, fighting games provide about the purest form of skill v. skill a video game can offer. In the PvP arena, DbD is about the furthest from that; a PvP game where skill means very little. At least it is down the list of factors that lead to a win or loss.
Not to mention that matchmaking in fighting games is light years more accurate than the practically nonexistent version we have in DbD.
So I don't really agree that the added context that knowing your and others' MMR rankings provides anything of substantive value, beyond what you can glean from the matches themselves. And again, I don't think knowing everyone's MMR score would add anything, since:
But for me the decider on whether I want MMR to be visible is this: it will lead to increased toxicity and belligerent discourse, and it will change nothing in terms of matchmaking. People will just be able to see how ineffectual SBMM is and get really salty about it. BHVR making SBMM better just because people can see it's bad is a pipe dream. It isn't gonna happen at this point.
I don't think any potential benefit would outweigh that.
I mean you can look up Game Design Knowledge on Google, Wikipedia to see all the pros/cons, like do you honestly need BHVR specifically to explain why to you?
I'm not curious, because I know they don't want to be questioned on every little decision they ever made, because the problem with that would be people would rage over unsatisfying answers, as has happened in the past, many times. Too many.
If I wonder about a decision, I think critically about it and look up Game Design explanations on those issues.
As a 100 xeno i can confirm that he only feels very strong at first. And against coordinates teams they can just dance around and fly out the gates. I would love to see mtly mmr to know where my killers are at and which one is more likely to have harder players
because if you escape or not as a survivor is not decided just by your skill. It's very easy for random survivor to kill everyone else.
Hey, if you are survivor main in full SWF, you should be above soft cap. But good job if you got there as soloQ.