Singularity is too strong

Preface: read the whole post

This killer has gotten to the point where if you follow an extremely easy flow chart, you guarantee at least a 3k. The flow chart is as follows:

Run corrupt → Place one pod in the center of the map (any more and you're throwing) → start chase → at every loop, deploy a pod and instantly mark the survivor since there is essentially no time to place one, get on cameras, and mark → get your free hit with slipstream → break pod instantly if survivor is leaving loop → rinse and repeat.

Oh! I almost forgot! Since there is no penalty for placing a bad pod in chase, just shoot the pod again (.1 seconds) to recall it! No skill required!

This wasn't a problem when EMPs were constantly finishing, so you or a teammate could maybe grab one mid chase and have the chance to save yourself, but now that EMPs are 25 seconds from start to finish IF someone is printing the entire time, or 100 SECONDS if fully automated, AND requiring 4 seconds to finish the print, it is borderline impossible to not be marked by the killer for the majority of the match, shortening the time it takes for the killer to achieve a down.

Not to mention the amount of slowdown produced by simply having this killer exist. A teammate grabbing an EMP to help another survivor in chase (how the killer is intended to be countered) effectively destroys gen progress after the first chase is over. One survivor will be on hook, one survivor will be saving, one survivor will be getting chased, and the last survivor has a choice to either do gens or help their teammate with an EMP. How did this get through the PTB? Here's a hint: most singularities do not play him correctly and instead play him like trapper or hag and wonder why 3 gens are done before they even get a single hook, still demanding buffs, while the good singularity players are on their 300th win streak wondering how the broken changes made it to the live servers.

Prethrowing pallets does nothing, getting to a good window does nothing, having a teammate constantly running EMPs does nothing. If the singularity player knows how to abuse the killer's unfair mechanics, you cannot survive a fair amount of time in chase.

I have a few suggestions to balance this killer out: 1) EMP'd pods cannot be recalled and must wait until they are reactivated. Pods need 5 seconds to "root" into the map before they can be used to mark survivors. Likewise, the singularity cannot recall those pods until that 5 second "root" has taken place.

If those more tame balance changes are too much, then a good step in the right direction would be to simply consume the mark on the survivor if the singularity slipstreams to them. Being marked should not be as much of a death sentence as it is on live. It wouldn't be a problem if chase was this killer's only strong suit, but as he currently stands, he simply has too much going for him.

Yes I have played this killer. Yes I do think these changes are fair from the killer's perspective.

tl;dr: you're not getting one, read the whole post

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @Toystory3Monkey said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3848423#Comment_3848423

    and im not being hostile in any way towards you.

    im simply stating my honest feelings about you said: im glad you are not in charge because what you like is not what most people will like and your decisionmaking will not the game better for a lot of players me included.

    macro gameplay in dbd is ultimately boring and exhausting. either to face or to face as well. it's devoid of any actual player interaction or dynamic because for survivors to give you a proper opposition in such gameplay they would have to play in swf with comms and the game would never be balanced for that.

    as for posting gameplay - it's pointless to discuss anything objectively without talking about particular examples. people can call trapper OP because their only experience against him is facing memeing 10k hours trapper mains winning games without perks and thinking this is the norm

    and im not being hostile in any way towards you.

    …

    i dont really value the opinion of the guy

    yeah, thank god you arent in charge here.

    Your tone is disproportionate to mine, as I've said such harshness is not needed. I've kept the discussion civil and respectful.

    your decisionmaking will not the game better for a lot of players me included.

    Which decision-making? I don't see any propose changes I've made towards Singularity nor any other killer in this specific thread. I was mentioning a playstyle that can be done with current Singularity, and that I happen to really like. That is it. That is all I've said.

    As for posting gameplay, it never works the way it should. I understand what you are saying, but when it is done to prove a point it is often dismissed with excuses.

  • @GeneralV said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3848467#Comment_3848467

    and im not being hostile in any way towards you.

    …

    i dont really value the opinion of the guy

    yeah, thank god you arent in charge here.

    Your tone is disproportionate to mine, as I've said such harshness is not needed. I've kept the discussion civil and respectful.

    your decisionmaking will not the game better for a lot of players me included.

    Which decision-making? I don't see any propose changes I've made towards Singularity nor any other killer in this specific thread. I was mentioning a playstyle that can be done with current Singularity, and that I happen to really like. That is it. That is all I've said.

    As for posting gameplay, it never works the way it should. I understand what you are saying, but when it is done to prove a point it is often dismissed with excuses.

    You come into this thread and support the bad changes by saying that you dont like the playstyle that would be discouraged by the changes proposed in this thread and that you like the playstyle that would be discouraged by the changes proposed in this thread. You are very much voicing a mindset that I called would be bad for this game's design if that was ever to be applied.

    as for posting gameplay - not posting gameplay leads to pointless discussions like this.

    I wouldn't care so much about gameplay if the OP was giving valid argumentation why they disagree and they don't.

    They dont give proper arguments, they dont acknowledge when they have been proven wrong.

    They keep appealing to the fact I allegedly ignored their questions (I in fact did not) and dismiss any reasonable thought or idea given to them if they even bother to acknowledge that in the first place. Simple example - they entirely ignored and refused to acknowledge the window tech counterplay (staying still after fastvault to force TP to stay behind the window) which trivializes Singularity's power whenever you're near windows and forces him to mindgame you like m1 killer. Why? Because it breaks their narrative about zero counterplay. Acknowledging there's counterplay to overclock would imply being infected isn't that big of a deal as they make it out to be and this is simply inconceivable.

    This entire discussion can be summed up by OP complaining that Singularity can immediately reinfect survivors after they use EMP and me telling them this is okay and there's a plenty of room for counterplay to the actual ability that comes after, while being kind enough to offer ways to deal with Singularity on the stage of infecting and OP is clinging HARD on the fact these ways of mitigation dont always work, while entirely ignoring the actual chase / counterplay aspect.

    Can you imagine a person complaining how there's nothing you can do about Freddy teleporting to your generator and dismissing any advice you give about running away, because they do not want Freddy to teleport to gen in the first place? This is the same kind of insanity here.

    Try to consider that instead of defending them because their suggestions apparently appeal to you. You are siding with a person who has zero idea of what they're talking about and who refuse to listen to reason or provide evidence to support their position. They simply yap.

  • @Toystory3Monkey said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3848499#Comment_3848499

    You come into this thread and support the bad changes by saying that you dont like the playstyle that would be discouraged by the changes proposed in this thread and that you like the playstyle that would be discouraged by the changes proposed in this thread. You are very much voicing a mindset that I called would be bad for this game's design if that was ever to be applied.

    as for posting gameplay - not posting gameplay leads to pointless discussions like this.

    I wouldn't care so much about gameplay if the OP was giving valid argumentation why they disagree and they don't.

    They dont give proper arguments, they dont acknowledge when they have been proven wrong.

    They keep appealing to the fact I allegedly ignored their questions (I in fact did not) and dismiss any reasonable thought or idea given to them if they even bother to acknowledge that in the first place. Simple example - they entirely ignored and refused to acknowledge the window tech counterplay (staying still after fastvault to force TP to stay behind the window) which trivializes Singularity's power whenever you're near windows and forces him to mindgame you like m1 killer. Why? Because it breaks their narrative about zero counterplay. Acknowledging there's counterplay to overclock would imply being infected isn't that big of a deal as they make it out to be and this is simply inconceivable.

    This entire discussion can be summed up by OP complaining that Singularity can immediately reinfect survivors after they use EMP and me telling them this is okay and there's a plenty of room for counterplay to the actual ability that comes after, while being kind enough to offer ways to deal with Singularity on the stage of infecting and OP is clinging HARD on the fact these ways of mitigation dont always work, while entirely ignoring the actual chase / counterplay aspect.

    Can you imagine a person complaining how there's nothing you can do about Freddy teleporting to your generator and dismissing any advice you give about running away, because they do not want Freddy to teleport to gen in the first place? This is the same kind of insanity here.

    Try to consider that instead of defending them because their suggestions apparently appeal to you. You are siding with a person who has zero idea of what they're talking about and who refuse to listen to reason or provide evidence to support their position. They simply yap.

    First of all, this does not address the hostility written here in previous responses. I fail to understand why it was directed towards me when I talked to you respectfully and kept the discussion civil.

    Second, not once did I state that I agree with OP's post regarding Singularity. In fact, if you asked for my opinion I don't think he requires changes, I would keep him as he currently is. What I did say was that I agree with the OP in regards to posting gameplay: I don't think it would help the discussion because I have seen it being dismissed before. That doesn't mean you would do it, I am just saying that it is something that happens, and has happened before, when people choose to share their own gameplay.

    Furthermore, all I've said was that I have more fun against Singularity when they go for gen defense, because I personally have always liked macro gameplay. I am not the biggest fan of chases, I prefer the bigger picture of a DBD match. I don't think there was anything wrong with me sharing this opinion in a Forum that is made for us to talk about the game we all like to play. It wouldn't be right of me to say I was glad others "weren't in charge" every time they shared an opinion I disagree with.

    Can you imagine a person complaining how there's nothing you can do about Freddy teleporting to your generator and dismissing any advice you give about running away, because they do not want Freddy to teleport to gen in the first place?

    Well, I was here during the peak of Forever Freddy and immediately before his nerf in 2021, I have seen plenty of complaints regarding Freddy. But I have tried to keep the discussions respectful. You can check my post history if you want to.

    Try to consider that instead of defending them because their suggestions apparently appeal to you. You are siding with a person who has zero idea of what they're talking about and who refuse to listen to reason or provide evidence to support their position. They simply yap.

    Please point me towards the comment where I explicitly state that I agree with OP's proposed changes towards Singularity.

    Because in your comment you said OP's changes would force Singularity towards gen defense. And I said that (referring to gen defense) is when I have most fun against Singularity. I did not say those changes should be done.Or that I would support them. I believe my stance on this matter is clear.

  • You guys should just stop, this is pointless. It was never going to be an "honest discussion" with the topic and narrative the OP wants to push. Attempting to discuss anything with people who actually just want an echo chamber for their (terrible) opinions is a waste of time just like this entire thread is.

    TLDR of every single whine thead:- Lack of experience, lack of willingness to adapt and skill issues. End of.

  • @Valuetown said:

    Preface: read the whole post

    This killer has gotten to the point where if you follow an extremely easy flow chart, you guarantee at least a 3k. The flow chart is as follows:

    Run corrupt → Place one pod in the center of the map (any more and you're throwing) → start chase → at every loop, deploy a pod and instantly mark the survivor since there is essentially no time to place one, get on cameras, and mark → get your free hit with slipstream → break pod instantly if survivor is leaving loop → rinse and repeat.

    Oh! I almost forgot! Since there is no penalty for placing a bad pod in chase, just shoot the pod again (.1 seconds) to recall it! No skill required!

    This wasn't a problem when EMPs were constantly finishing, so you or a teammate could maybe grab one mid chase and have the chance to save yourself, but now that EMPs are 25 seconds from start to finish IF someone is printing the entire time, or 100 SECONDS if fully automated, AND requiring 4 seconds to finish the print, it is borderline impossible to not be marked by the killer for the majority of the match, shortening the time it takes for the killer to achieve a down.

    Not to mention the amount of slowdown produced by simply having this killer exist. A teammate grabbing an EMP to help another survivor in chase (how the killer is intended to be countered) effectively destroys gen progress after the first chase is over. One survivor will be on hook, one survivor will be saving, one survivor will be getting chased, and the last survivor has a choice to either do gens or help their teammate with an EMP. How did this get through the PTB? Here's a hint: most singularities do not play him correctly and instead play him like trapper or hag and wonder why 3 gens are done before they even get a single hook, still demanding buffs, while the good singularity players are on their 300th win streak wondering how the broken changes made it to the live servers.

    Prethrowing pallets does nothing, getting to a good window does nothing, having a teammate constantly running EMPs does nothing. If the singularity player knows how to abuse the killer's unfair mechanics, you cannot survive a fair amount of time in chase.

    I have a few suggestions to balance this killer out: 1) EMP'd pods cannot be recalled and must wait until they are reactivated. Pods need 5 seconds to "root" into the map before they can be used to mark survivors. Likewise, the singularity cannot recall those pods until that 5 second "root" has taken place.

    If those more tame balance changes are too much, then a good step in the right direction would be to simply consume the mark on the survivor if the singularity slipstreams to them. Being marked should not be as much of a death sentence as it is on live. It wouldn't be a problem if chase was this killer's only strong suit, but as he currently stands, he simply has too much going for him.

    Yes I have played this killer. Yes I do think these changes are fair from the killer's perspective.

    tl;dr: you're not getting one, read the whole post

    So I can just do steps A, B, and C and beat any team? Wow, why have I never thought to do that before? Probably because it's never that simple, and not true. And then you're basically asking for a cooldown on pod placement, when it's so easy to screw it up. Do you know how hard that would fundamentally destroy the killer? No, I'm not reading the whole post, because that would be a waste of my time. You may have played this killer before, but you do not have his viability in mind when coming up with these changes. Not at all.

  • @Vishlumbra said:

    The questions we should standardize in this forum, when someone is asking to nerf a killer are:

    Do you play as “X”?

    Have you actually dedicated time to play it? How long?

    You escaped from placement matches with that killer and you realize it has weaknesses? How many matches have you played? As and against.

    Are you a survivor main who never plays killer?

    Then proceed to have a discussion.

    I don't think any amount of those prerequisites being fulfilled would allow us to have good faith conversations with these people. I mean, look at what he's suggesting, what he's focusing on. "If the killer screws up a biopod placement, he shouldn't be able to instantly break and replace it (suggesting there should be a cooldown)! And EMPs are so bad now, even though they're exactly as strong as before (potentially destroying multiple cameras/infections at once), just not as easily infinite respawning as before!" That, to me, comes off as someone who may as well be lying about having played as the killer, and their intentions to "fix" the killer and make him better, because of how biased it sounds. It's vitriolic. It's anti-Singularity.

    And it's not the first time I've seen this song and dance. "I main this killer, and I think these changes need to be reverted/they need to be nerfed." Funny, because I've never ever had that thought about a killer I play. Yes, there are some killers that I have played and am staunchly against in the current states, like Oni and Blight, but I localize the discussion on them to "What are you gonna do to these killers to equalize their strength on PC and console." I was very much against the Blight add-on nerfs, because without PC flicks, he just isn't that good, meaning those changes only hurt console players. But these people are just like, "I played 1 match with Wraith, got a 4k, and so he needs another nerf." No, we're not gonna buy that as an argument, and therefore cannot move forward in the discussion.

  • Closing this thread due to the increased in toxicity with the recent comments.

1 2 3 ›