Deutranopia Colorblind Person Talks About How To Improve Accessibility

Hello. Ive made a few threads about this before but I thought it would be good to just collect my thoughts and provide constructive criticism towards improving accessibility for the game. While I personally cannot speak too much for those with hard of hearing, I can speak on colorblindness since I have Deutranopia (Red-Green) Colorblindness.

First off, Id like to talk about the issues with DBD for people such as myself. Red is a color that is used a lot; specifically with the Killer's Red-Stain, Scratchmarks, and Aura Reading; as one can imagine, being Red-Green colorblind while Red is an important color to see has a significant impact on my ability to play the game, with the Killer role being more difficult as a result since it is often more reliant upon seeing Red compared to Survivor.

Furthermore, there are people with various types of colorblindness, some people who see colors far differently compared to me. This can act as an obstacle for players in general, since a lot of color can easily muddy together and be nearly impossible or outright impossible to see.

Now that I have highlighted some issues, I would like to propose some potential solutions to this issue(s):

  • HIGH CONTRAST SETTINGS: Most modern games have the ability to increase the contrast and/or saturation of things within a game. DBD does not have such settings, meaning that colors can often muddy together since they often lean towards muted colors (or mid-tones), providing options that increase the contrast and/or saturation creates brighter and darker value ranges that are easier for people with colorblindness to see since the variety of value is more spread out.
  • COLOR OPTIONS: Customizable HUD elements will allow players to have an easier time seeing HUD elements without it blending with the environment, which is an issue for some players, particularly on maps with snow (such as Ormand). Furthermore, allowing players to change the colors of Aura Reading, Scratchmarks, and the Red-Stain allows players to see important information in a match without providing an advantage (since it would be accessible to all players).

Im glad that BHVR over the years has taken the time to improve things by including Colorblind Settings and Visible Terror Radius, but there is still a lot of room for improving upon what is already in the game, and I hope that BHVR takes my feedback seriously since I feel as if this has been an issue that has persisted after these changes have released.

Comments