Indoor Maps vs Outdoor Maps

It's quite a common thing to hear that many people dislike indoor maps compared to outdoor maps. I personally, on both sides, prefer indoor maps. I personally think they're more interesting as the game play loop feels more varied by the layout whereas most outdoors maps have the same tiles and loops with a different splash of paint to where they generally speaking all play exactly the same. To me this makes the indoor maps give each match a more unique experience than the average map does.

Now on to my next point. Healthy design. This is where I think most people take issue with indoor maps as they think they're typically more unhealthy design. I actually feel the complete opposite of this.

I'll give a few points to support this:

  1. Significantly more line of sight blocking. This prevents the killer from being seen a mile away and encouraging hold w game play which is boring for everyone and unhealthy for the game. We want to encourage interaction and who can play loops better.
  2. Outdoor maps benefit swf more than solo queue since it's easier to relay information on outdoor maps that the killer is headed a teammates direction since they have many more eyes constantly on the killer. This is harder to relay specifically on an indoor map since they can't pinpoint as exactly where he's headed. Most the community agrees we don't want things that benefit swf more than solo.
  3. "Most" the killers that benefit significantly from indoor maps are "generally speaking" the weaker killers to begin with, whereas most the killers who have more trouble on indoor maps are already the stronger ones. Exceptions, but speaking in generalities here. Maps that help the worst killers and lower the already very high ones is good design. This helps balance things out.
  4. I already referenced this previously, but for the health of the game people want matches to feel unique and more different from one another. This is another reason so many people want different game modes. Most outdoor maps feel like the same match on repeat. Indoor maps create more variety between games.
  5. Now this will probably be one of the most controversial points, but I think the loops on indoor maps are much better balanced than the jungle gyms we typically see on outdoor maps. On average I think many of them are more likely to be actually playable when the pallet is thrown rather than a forced break. Before someone even brings it up, no I'm not referencing some of the extremely unsafe pallets that require a stun on maps like Hawkins. I agree those are bad. Also before it gets brought up on this topic, I'm not referencing the loops on The Game. Those are very badly designed loops with almost all being god pallets or forced breaks.

Now one negative I agree about indoor maps is how they can unfairly hurt some ranged killers. That's a totally fair point. I just think "in general" they are overall more healthy with everything else.

I just don't see a rational argument for indoor maps being more unhealthy than outdoor maps as we tend to hear a lot, other than the argument of I dislike them because they're rougher on my specific killer.

What are y'alls thoughts? If you do think they're objectively more unhealthy I'd love to hear why.

I'd love to see much more indoor maps added to the game myself for enjoyment but also because I think they're healthier for the game.

Comments

1 2 ›