A Heartwarming Story
Just thinking of this and decided to share it.
Played against a very aggressive group led by a Steve. Swarming, blocking, sabo, etc. I killed all but Steve, Steve's still full of vinegar and we're locked in a struggle between two stubborn players, I've already closed the hatch and I'm not going to let him open a gate.
I come around the corner and give him a smack, he's doing a glyph. I back off so it's clear he can finish it. I'm still seething to murder him, but even murderous monsters have some decency. He grabs it and just waits to let me down him. His sense of fairness trumped his "ha ha, you can't get me" playstyle, or maybe it was that moment where we weren't mortal enemies, just DBD players playing.
I gave him my respect nod, but signaled for him to take off, we fought a little more and I got him. It wasn't one of those "ha ha, I got you" wins, just two players playing out an epic trial. I did not expect to leave it liking Steve, but I did.
The moral to this story, it's ok to be evil in DBD, that's part of the fun. I came to pretend to kill you for fun. It's a better experience if we can also see what we have in common, like our hatred of glyphs.
Comments
It’s stories like this that I love so much. You’re right, it’s a game where we pretend to kill other people; and despite that there is still this sense of fairness/honor code.
This was really really nice to read. Thank you ☺️
I actually felt a little silly about it, but your kind response made me not care.
Cool name, btw.
It truly did make my morning.
And thanks for the compliment :)
Awww. Yeah, in the spur of the moment we sometimes forget that we are all players and just see the others role or function, but it's nice that we still can sometimes connect.
When I started out, I had a very rough game on one of the swamp maps and got zero hooks. Eventually I got a single hook, while the last gen was slammed out. And in this instance I just lost my killer Instinct. I could fight tooth and nail for this one single kill, but would probably lose it due to swarming the hook and just nodded to everyone, stepped aside and let them unhook that Feng, while I opened the gates.
The swarm of survivors parted and Jeff, with his long, flowing hair and long coat, stepped up to me, nodded and sat down under a hook, sacrificing himself for me. I was in tears at this gesture.
Another time I had a tough, but manageable game at the groaning storehouse, but here was this extremely good, pink Bunny-Feng that foiled my plans and escaped me time and time again. When turning a corner in a jungle gym, I saw here standing there, lunged, realised that she was communing with a Glyph and looked away in the very last second.
Feng looked at me and we kinda stared at each other for like 10s, then I smacked her and the spell was broken a I chased and finally downed her. But during that trial we would not cross weapons again, but just nid and wave at each other. Eventually all her mates were on hook and we watched the last one struggle for a couple of seconds together, before looking for hatch, exchanging our last pleasantries and parting ways forever.
And then I got a Pig match this week. I had a couple really rough matches where I suffered a lot of abuse by the survivors. I found the whole bunch, obvious a SWF and surprised them, but they all expertly eluded me with perfect use of SB and this instantly kinda broke me and I was done for this match, not being ready to deal with such players for a full match. Somehow they understood and 20s later four survivors were surrounding my hiding spot where I had retracted to wallow in self pity and they all popped my snout. Afterwards we memed around and frolicked on the desolate auto haven, filling it with laughter and joy, 8 hooks and countless smashed pallets and cute Miss Piggy 🐷 gasps.
In the postgame chat they were like "rough couple of games?" and it was all so wholesome.
EDIT: and one last heartwarming story: I once played Basement Chest defender Insidious Bubba. The survivors did their gens, someone opened the gates and one cheeky Leon came down for some last minute looting. I shook my head, he insisted, touched my chest and went down and on the hook. His duo-SWF Jill mate tried to save him, I shook my head, she insisted and went on the hook, too.
One of the survivors just left, the last one (I think it was a Nancy) came down, pointed at the two, I shook my head, she pointed at my chest, I shook my head. She nodded and walked beside me and together we watched the two fools die. Afterwards I escorted her to the gates, she waved and we parted ways.
🥹 Lol oh my gosh. These stories! They’re so heartwarming lol
you are a good evil person
you have my respect
That's it exactly! Sometimes during a trial it happens. We should be enemies, that's part of the fun, but we have way more in common with each other than we might realize. Those were some great moments, easier to remember than a big win.
Early phases in this game, sometimes it's so hard it makes the other team seem evil. I remember thinking "It's obvious I can't even hit you when you're standing still, do you have to make it impossible?" It feels like you're the little kid getting dunked on by the teenagers. The truth is more like they were happy get an easy win because those don't come often in DBD.
Great post! So many posts are negative, because when we get frustrated we come here to yell about it, but let's keep sharing stuff like this when it comes up. I just don't think this toxic community is as toxic as people think.
Well thank you, it's mutual.
That's a big part of my love for DBD. I don't even like being evil in SP games, DBD is the only place I can have fun doing it.
I have a couple of heartwarming/funny stories from last night playing on Halloween.
i love the second one but the first is very funny
I'd like to see that second one put to music.
I never got a notification for this comment!
Speaking of music. Now you have me thinking about a Dead by Daylight musical! 😆
If it can be a dating game, it can be pretty much anything.