Unpopular Opinion: The Game Is Not Sided Towards Survivor Or Killer
I must start off by stating a few important things before going forwards:
- This is entirely about public matches. If you expect me to talk about competitive matches, you've come to the wrong place.
- MMR is a horrible system... that's it... MMR is horrible and people should stop using it to prove their points.
- Im not saying the game is balanced. The game will never be balanced due the fact that the game has too much going on with it to fundamentally balance.
Alright, with that out of the way. Let's move onto the meat and bones of the topic.
DBD is a asymmetrical game. And when it comes to asymmetrical games, there is bound to be a balance offset since you cannot specifically align the greater numbers with the smaller numbers. The easiest way I can describe this is by comparing it to a pendulum, it swings back and forth but never exactly aligns to a single side.
With DBD specifically, there are too many factors to consider within a public match to really consider if the game is sided to a particular side, just to name a few:
- Skill Level of the Killer.
- Skill Level of all 4 Survivors individually.
- The Map.
- The Killer itself (this included their Movement Speed and Killer Power).
- The Tilesets that spawn on the Map.
- Position of the Survivor and Killer on the Map (both when spawning and for the duration of the match).
- Perks (and likewise, factors that matter as a direct result of perks, such as Hex/Dull Totem spawns).
- Archive Challenges that affect Gameplay/Playstyle.
- Playstyle of each Player individually.
- MMR decided to fill people of the appropriate Skill Level or using Back-Fill Players (or just MMR doing what it does best... being an awful system to begin with).
I can drone on and on about more and more factors that must be considered, but for the sake of holding your attention here, I wont... there is a lot... also keep in mind that a decent amount of what I mentioned has RNG involved to begin with, which just further complicates things.
Not to say that the game is balanced, but as I mentioned before, the game can easily swing back and forth between each respected side, and there is a lot of nuance to the topic to begin with, which is why I personally believe the game is not sided towards a particular side.
Comments
Yeah I agree. There's a few topics I don't bother to click on anymore and 'game is killer/survivor sided' is one of them.
The game is tilted towards whoever brings the more powerful stuff. It is something like 99% of the playerbase cannot grasp for some reason.
Omega addon nurse is going to crush the team running casual looting perks.
4 BNPs and the padded jaws trapper is going to stand no chance.