What is everyone's opinion on The Executioner (Pyramid Head)?
What is good or bad about going against or playing as him?
How would you fix this?
What is good or bad about going against or playing as him?
How would you fix this?
Read THIS post.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
He has a power that is designed for tunneling. Pretty much makes him automatically unfun to face imo.
He also desperately needs an addon pass and maybe one range addon basekit to encourage other options.
I used to main him for a while, and I can tell you from personal experience that he's as fun as the player decides they want him to be.
Hitting crazy shots through walls or loops? Pretty fun. Once you get good with it there's a lot of mind-games to be had. It takes genuine effort on both sides since smart survivors will start to read you while you start to read them. If you REALLY want to get crazy with him you can try using flicks from time to time. Basically impossible to react to and also extremely hard to pull off because the timing is crazy specific. But to be completely honest they're more for swag points than anything.
Torment also serves as a good tool for snowballing and pressure. Torment is something you usually want to save depending of a variety of scenarios.
Now lets go into how people actually play him. The boring way.
Survivor reaches loop, start power, does survivor vault/drop? if yes, shoot. if no, cancel power. Ez hit.
Literally no investment or skill expression. And like many people are sure to bring up, the insane tunneling. If I want to secure a kill all I would have to do is head back to the cage since it tells me exactly where they are. Even if it's first hook securing the second one for basically no time investment is just a net positive.
He can be a beast and I've had survivors tell me in end-game they had fun playing against the first way I described. But the glaring issue is his power doesn't have to be utilized in any engaging way. People are going to take the easier route. The best way to describe it is from this old dark souls skit: "Why does everyone keep backstabbing me?", "Cus it's easy. And it does a lotta damage". Universally this applies to any game ever. Why try so hard when I can just do one thing and get the same results?
Also for fixing him (sorry for the massive text walls but i love this killer). I forgot that part. I honestly don't know how. Because BHVR actually tried this fairly recently on a PTB. His shockwave would apply torment. To encourage people to land hits with it instead of getting a boner at the idea of zoning. But, this just lead to more tunneling since you can hit 2 people when they unhook.
There's 2 things I would do and honestly would want implemented regardless if he gets back that ability or not. I'd add a little bit of invulnerability to torment after being unhooked. Not crazy long. Like 10 seconds max. He could get that little change back and see how it does. Torment is a powerful tool in the right hands. But it's not hard to force it by trapping someone at a loop.
The second thingy was to make his shockwave hit cooldown shorter if it lands. It'd be a bit of an incentive. I don't know how much would be too much though if I'm honest. But it would help a lot actually, since hitting someone on the other side of shack gives them a ton of distance if they just run away after it.
As for add-ons: His power is too weird to be changed in any considerable way. I think his add-ons are destined to suck forever. Which isn't a terrible thing. His power is solid. One they changed a while ago was his hemorrhage add-on to last until torment is removed. I think this would allow for more interesting add-ons and strategies. Anything that gives him more versatility is great.
Survivor reaches loop, start power, does survivor vault/drop? if yes, shoot. if no, cancel power. Ez hit.
Literally no investment or skill expression. And like many people are sure to bring up, the insane tunneling. If I want to secure a kill all I would have to do is head back to the cage since it tells me exactly where they are. Even if it's first hook securing the second one for basically no time investment is just a net positive.
i think cliche play with pyramid head to just walk to every pallet loop. draw a trail. if they do not leave trail, they get tormented, if you do leave trail then you might get hit because slowdown is not that significant. after your tormented, the pyramid head will just look to find a place to corner you. once your in a corner part of the map, you can just spam his ability 15+ times in a row. eventually survivor makes a mistake, you down them, you put them in a cage across the map.
Meghead see's a cage that spawns right next her. she unhooks you. as he cages, pyramid head is walking back to the cage. you get tunneled directly out of a cage and sometimes can go down immediately depending on cage location. you get hooked near a jungle gym or tile-set. the pyramid head now proxy camp the hook drawing trails around the hook. he might chase someone for a little bit but as soon as unhook happens, he goes back to the hook and tunnels you by cornering in the edge of the map.... and spams ability 15+ times until you go down.
rince and repeat until 2 people are dead, then you just need 1 hook to get 3k for the win.
the whole ability encourages farming survivors off hook/cages and tunneling people off cages/hooking along side proxy camping. I am not sure if i can even call this proxy camping... because it is almost like face-camping.... but face-camping 16 meters away from hooks/cages.....
I would play him more if the ability didn’t feel clunky with thumbsticks
Also wish they got rid of the free tunneling in his kit because it always feels dirty to capitalize on it
He's incredibly clunky to play and how he's designed is very unfitting for the character. I haven't played any Silent Hill games but I did some research after PH came out to get an idea of who he was.
Apparently he's the personification of guilt of the main character of the first Silent Hill game. In which there was lots of emphasis on psychological horror and coming to terms with the consequences of your actions.
And in DbD they gave him a highly telegraphed ranged attack and a gimmicky status effect that encourages tunnelling. I was very disappointed when I realized how different he was from his depiction in Silent Hill. I know that adjustments to the character were necessary to make him work with DbD's mechanics but I think they really missed the mark.
Something like having tormented survivors see a distorted version of the map that looks like Silent Hill, and PH himself behaving erratically when chasing tormented survivors would have been much more interesting than what we got.
I like playing as and vs him. He is fun and his power is in good spot.
But he needs better add ons
i really like him, killing survivors with your own hand and unique hooks is cool, but his addons is as*, he has only 2 good addons for ability lenght that everyone use. He needs total addons overhaul, otherwise i think he is pretty fine. Survivor can just pretty much ignore tormenting, mostly this will result in falling faster, but i believe it's still better then getting moried or tunneled.
One of the more fun killers to play against.
He honestly feels clunky with keyboard and mouse as well.
annoying killer with high tunneling potential
He has no map presence.
His anti-loop is situational
His Cages promote Tunneling and hyper-proxy camping.
His Cages can work against him
People say that he feels clunky to use, and he kinda does. But thematically I think that fits with the personification of guilt, when using your Power it should feel sluggish, like a great weight is upon you, but using this Power creates hindering hazards for those you're here to punish.
But the payoff for it, is kinda lackluster at the moment. Punishment of the Damned doesn't feel very.. punchy. Almost too snappy imo.
If I were to change him I'd experiment with the following:
he's fun.
too clunky for me, the limited turn rate makes him feel way too obtuse to ever use.