Stop Losing Pips
De pipping and losing points for your opponents doing something well really doesn't incentivise players to actually use the content in the game. Want to try out a new killer? Nah you'll lose pips... Want to try out a really strange build? ... Nah you'll lose pips. Losing pips actually serves no purpose other than to punish players.
By all means reward people for doing something well like healing, but why punish a killer and cause them to lose points because the survivor healed? The only way a killer can stop that is to tunnel that player until they're dead and then go to the next etc.
I want to be able to try and elarn all the killers that I own, but frankly it's not worth me jumping off those I'm familiar with if i'm going to be punished for it. And god forbid I come up against an absolutely cracked SWF. The losing of pips makes every game feel like you have something to lose, and that breeds the 'ranked' mentality that you see in other games. I'm sure this has been bought up many times but I figure the more it's bought up, the more BHVR may pay attention to it.
LET US USE THE STUFF WE BOUGHT WITHOUT GETTING PENALISED!
Comments
I partially agree.... but...
The reason de-pipping exists is because without it, reaching iridescent 1 literally means nothing, because you're literally just grinding it out. The chance of losing a pip places actual stakes in winning the game, or at least trying to do as much as possible.
While I see value in that gaming decision... What makes de-pipping frustrating though is pipping and sometimes de-piping is not always conducive to the result of the game. Winning the game isn't enough, instead it kinda encourages you to farm blood points for the pip.
E g. As Killer when I was trying to get to Iri 3 last month, I won 4 games back to back with 4ks, but because I usually had 1 survivor I ignored while hooking the other 3, it only took 1 suicide on hook, or 1 DC, or a couple of survivors I couldn't catch easily and only won by downing them both for first hooks at the same time, and I couldn't get my last pip... I just couldn't score enough to rank up.
Instead I had to deliberately stall out the game, let survivors escape from my carry, ignore them to unhook a first stage suvivor so I can carry on chasing and hooking for more points, leave players dead on hook slugged so the survivor I wanted came out of hiding for the heal. There are a number of instances I have to "play with my food" in order to get enough points to pip, all the while running this risk of the game getting away from me and losing.
This is the only thing that makes de-pipping annoying... the need to play in a weird way to score points... not wins.
I wouldn't let new killers be discouraged from playing myself. I believe you have a separate MMR for each killer, so you go against other low level players on your new killers.
If you are worried, you can rank up a tier, then try your new killer when you're at 0 for a rank with no penalty... you'll probably find it easier to rank up with a new killer tbh xD