When is it time to quit a chase?

I just had a match with 4 “just business” (hardcore, no mistakes or playing around) survivors who all seemed to juke well, and find pallets/windows with ease. I don’t tunnel often, but it seemed that every survivor was capable of evading me for- well the entire game. I like to “think” I’m a good chaser, please have mercy fellow members.

Comments

  • Well, it depends.

    • When it's a 4man swf, it's better not to be focused on the same survivor for too long. Example: you hit the first one, you see another one, you leave and hit him.
    • What you can also do, is chasing them, let them drop 3/4 pallets and go chase someone else. That way, they won't know which pallets are down, or broken. This can be really helpful.
    • You can also "divide" the map in zones in your mind; chase a survivor and make him drop every pallet in this zone, then hook him and force the others survivors to go in that pallet-free zone.
      I do all these things when I play Piggy, and it really, really helps
  • Note that despite what I say, depending on the map you get and the skill levels of survivors: some games might just end up being tunneling to get something. No matter what, sometimes you end up with that team who coordinates too well that ending a chase early will net you nothing. I'm also kinda killer biased as I think there are still a lot of issues of balance that still need to be addressed survivor side. I try to avoid tunnelling outside of toxic survivors who clearly just want to troll me, but in those games I get frustrated and I wanna reap something.

    Personally I end a chase when the survivor has enough distance after a stun/window vault/pallet drop, or when they've gotten to an infinite* loop that I don't wanna bother with. Or they're clearly trying to waste my time, or when I'm chasing them into a place with no generators.

    Now if they're injured and they just got a stun on me, I may still go after them. However if they say went from a jungle gym to the window on Groaning Storehouse I might just throw up my arms and find someone else. They'll at least spend time away trying to heal, but if it's early game I wanna pressure the other survivors so they don't do gens freely.

    Also sometimes I don't bother going after a guy if they sprint burst away unless I know they ran into an unsafe area. Sometimes I like to gamble that by the time I catch back up to them I can hit them before they get to another safe tile.

    Don't forget however what killer you're playing. If Hag or Trapper maybe you want to scare them off just so you can get back to setting up your stuff. If Huntress maybe they got to an area where your hatchets aren't good, or maybe you're Micheal and you just wanna stalk.

    Yes I know technically infinites aren't there anymore with bloodlust and window blocking, but some windows can just buy so much time it's ridiculous. If someone gets to the Ironworks, Storehouse, or Cowshed window I just give up sometimes cause especially if the pallets around them are still there it can take up to a full minute to hit them once.

    It's up to you though to gauge it, and also pay attention to how the game is flowing. For me personally if they're getting to a safe area and the chase has been broken, I won't bother unless they're perhaps going to a gen that might have other survivors. Though if gens are taking a bit I might just keep going to down them or get certain pallets out of the way.

  • @guest602 said:
    Well, it depends.

    • When it's a 4man swf, it's better not to be focused on the same survivor for too long. Example: you hit the first one, you see another one, you leave and hit him.
    • What you can also do, is chasing them, let them drop 3/4 pallets and go chase someone else. That way, they won't know which pallets are down, or broken. This can be really helpful.
    • You can also "divide" the map in zones in your mind; chase a survivor and make him drop every pallet in this zone, then hook him and force the others survivors to go in that pallet-free zone.
      I do all these things when I play Piggy, and it really, really helps

    what he said

  • @robin said:

    what he said

    Excuse me?

  • @guest602 said:

    @robin said:

    what he said

    Excuse me?

    i was saying that you had the correct answer

  • @robin said:

    i was saying that you had the correct answer

    ow okay, thank you! It's nice to see that I'm not the only one having this opinion

  • It's difficult to tell honestly.

    What I do is try to get a least one pallet dropped for each chase, break the dropped pallet, then move back to patrolling the generators.

    Depending on where the survivor is positioned I'll commit to a full chase. Factors that encourge me to a full chase are:

    • If that survivor is positioned in a way where it'll be difficult for them to get to a pallet
    • If that survivor is injured (However if you are struggling to get them after the 3rd to 5th pallet, drop the chase.)
    • He's running towards a generator, another survivor or an active totem.

    These might not help much, but it seems to work well with me.

  • After about 3-4 pallets in, if they're really good at looping, I usually swap targets and go find someone else or damage a generator.

  • Honestly it depends on the killer. Trapper and hag, if I can't heard them into a trap, I'll disengage.
    Leather face, if the looping and 360s show this is a survivor that always is in chases I'll leave them and search for easier prey.
    Freddy, I try to sleep survivors. I'll instantly disengage to sleep a healthy survivor since I can easily cut off the one I was chasing.
    Wraith and pig (also spooky Myers) I try to stealth attack my first hit which makes the chase half as long. I'm more willing to just disappear after a botched attack.

  • When you mother walks in and tells you to have some lunch.

  • When they start trying to taunt me into continuing the chase. In other words, when they're going "HEY LOOK I'M A DIVERSION!!!"

  • when you feel like you want to die and are getting a little too aggravated at everything the survivor does

  • Right now I'm practicing Nurse, so I don't give up chases. The survivor has to legit get away and stay hidden. I don't care about gens or exit gates. I just want to get my time-to-down a survivor to a really good spot. If I de-rank then it just means I face "easier" targets next match.