DC Penalty

So I’ve been playing DBD for a little over 2 years and I was never the type to DC because what’s the point! You join a game and expect it to go your way all the time, then you throw a fit and DC because it doesn’t. I completely get why they put a penalty on people who DC on a regular basis, but over the past two days my game would freeze and it would say I lost connection it’s happened so much so that I’ve reached an hour penalty. So my overall point here is I’d really hope they can find a way to tell if it was an intentional DC or not.

I love the game and I plan on getting an extremely long ethernet cable to run from my room to the router, but it sucks for people who don’t have that option.

Also I’m not so sure it’s my Internet I mean I can play other games fine like Rainbow 6, or Friday the 13th, even grounded and if my internet acts up I’ll lag but no major disconnects and lagging is rare for me.

Comments

  • So my overall point here is I’d really hope they can find a way to tell if it was an intentional DC or not.

    Unfortunately no. Anything that can cause an accidental disconnection can be reliably replicated by unplugging your router.

  • The true fix would simply be the option to reconnect to ongoing games, people who disconnect are replaced by a temporary bot player that will play the remainder of the game for them as a bot would, and they will be unable to leave lobby until the game is over, given only the options to reconnect or wait. if the player reconnects they will replace the temporary AI and continue with whatever is left (provided the bot didn't die). If they do not reconnect to the game they suffer a penalty. Obviously there would have to be limitations to this to prevent people from reconnecting last second after trolling their team and dodging the penalty, but it would solve a majority of issues if players who legitimately DC for cases out of their control could reconnect instead of being forced out and into a matchmaking penalty, as well as their team being automatically punished because their net hiccuped for one second.

  • The Problem is if there where no penalty for connection dcs. The Survivors which dc all the time would just disconnet there pcs.

  • @caro99 said:

    So I’ve been playing DBD for a little over 2 years and I was never the type to DC because what’s the point! You join a game and expect it to go your way all the time, then you throw a fit and DC because it doesn’t. I completely get why they put a penalty on people who DC on a regular basis, but over the past two days my game would freeze and it would say I lost connection it’s happened so much so that I’ve reached an hour penalty. So my overall point here is I’d really hope they can find a way to tell if it was an intentional DC or not.

    I love the game and I plan on getting an extremely long ethernet cable to run from my room to the router, but it sucks for people who don’t have that option.

    Also I’m not so sure it’s my Internet I mean I can play other games fine like Rainbow 6, or Friday the 13th, even grounded and if my internet acts up I’ll lag but no major disconnects and lagging is rare for me.

    Its not possible to "tell the difference" between an intentional DC and an unintentional one due to internet. I'd argue that it doesn't matter either, because both still ruin the game for everyone involved. And if your internet is not stable that is up to you to figure out and stablize.


    @Vhillain said:

    The true fix would simply be the option to reconnect to ongoing games, people who disconnect are replaced by a temporary bot player that will play the remainder of the game for them as a bot would, and they will be unable to leave lobby until the game is over, given only the options to reconnect or wait. if the player reconnects they will replace the temporary AI and continue with whatever is left (provided the bot didn't die). If they do not reconnect to the game they suffer a penalty. Obviously there would have to be limitations to this to prevent people from reconnecting last second after trolling their team and dodging the penalty, but it would solve a majority of issues if players who legitimately DC for cases out of their control could reconnect instead of being forced out and into a matchmaking penalty, as well as their team being automatically punished because their net hiccuped for one second.

    This is the correct answer. The best solution is to allow people to reconnect to the game and make them be replaced by a bot. And then when you DC you are unable to start a new game until the old game is over (even if your bot dies) as punishment (or after a short time limit, lets say 10 minutes, in case its due to someone holding the game hostage).

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/374986/dc-penalty

    Its not possible to "tell the difference" between an intentional DC and an unintentional one due to internet. I'd argue that it doesn't matter either, because both still ruin the game for everyone involved. And if your internet is not stable that is up to you to figure out and stablize.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3422672#Comment_3422672

    This is the correct answer. The best solution is to allow people to reconnect to the game and make them be replaced by a bot. And then when you DC you are unable to start a new game until the old game is over (even if your bot dies) as punishment (or after a short time limit, lets say 10 minutes, in case its due to someone holding the game hostage).

    So you think it would be easier for the developers to replace a player who had a DC with a bot and if this player should then be interested in returning to the game, replace the created bot in order to actively participate in the game again..

    .. THAN ..

    ..the distinction whether the DC'd player had previously pressed the "Leave Match" button?

    Of course that would be amazing :D

  • @Senaxu said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3422731#Comment_3422731

    So you think it would be easier for the developers to replace a player who had a DC with a bot and if this player should then be interested in returning to the game, replace the created bot in order to actively participate in the game again..

    .. THAN ..

    ..the distinction whether the DC'd player had previously pressed the "Leave Match" button?

    Of course that would be amazing :D

    Because players can easily DC without pressing 'leave match':

    • Alt+F4
    • Ctrl-Alt-Delete & close the game.
    • Shut down their console/PC
    • Pull the ethernet cable out.
    • Unplug the modem
    • Turn off their wireless card.


    All ways to DC without pressing 'leave match' and all quite impossible to track other than 'player left'.

  • @Senaxu said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3422731#Comment_3422731

    So you think it would be easier for the developers to replace a player who had a DC with a bot and if this player should then be interested in returning to the game, replace the created bot in order to actively participate in the game again..

    .. THAN ..

    ..the distinction whether the DC'd player had previously pressed the "Leave Match" button?

    Of course that would be amazing :D

    It's not about "easy". As stated in other comments there are a multitude of ways to disconnect without pushing that button and have the same result. This system is absolutely better and solves the entire issue.

  • @Senaxu said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3422731#Comment_3422731

    So you think it would be easier for the developers to replace a player who had a DC with a bot and if this player should then be interested in returning to the game, replace the created bot in order to actively participate in the game again..

    .. THAN ..

    ..the distinction whether the DC'd player had previously pressed the "Leave Match" button?

    Of course that would be amazing :D

    Ok, so lets say they made this distinction then. So now, when i want to leave the game intentionally, instead of clicking the "leave" button, i just disconnect my ethernet cable, or turn off wi-fi. So now i disconnect because my "internet" went out, but i'm actually intentionally disconnecting.


    The point is, it is not possible to tell the difference between a legitimate connection issue, and someone intentionally pulling the plug.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3422762#Comment_3422762

    Ok, so lets say they made this distinction then. So now, when i want to leave the game intentionally, instead of clicking the "leave" button, i just disconnect my ethernet cable, or turn off wi-fi. So now i disconnect because my "internet" went out, but i'm actually intentionally disconnecting.

    The point is, it is not possible to tell the difference between a legitimate connection issue, and someone intentionally pulling the plug.

    Yes, that's probably true, although to be honest it would be really funny to imagine that there are people who pull their ethernet cable or switch off their router/PC to fake a DC.


    What are you doing son?

    Ah dad, casual dead by daylight stuff today. :'D

  • Your game freezing and disconnectng you is ruining the game for the others in your match. The penalty system is doing its job by preventing you from ruining more players' games as frequently. 🤷‍♂️

    Sucks, I know, but stop playing, report the bug, and wait until the next patch comes out to see if that fixed it.

    Maybe start here, and see if this is the same bug you have..?

    @chesnoodle said:

    Since I started regularly playing DBD again sometime in January, I have been continually forced out of matches and given a DC penalty, the highest being a 6-hour penalty that originally triggered me writing this post. I am now rewriting in hopes that someone at Behavior will take me a little more seriously, without losing all the discussion other people have had in the comments. I play DBD on Xbox Series S and this issue has occurred while in matches as both survivor and killer, you will find in the comments below that players on every platform are also experiencing this issue.

    I start by loading into DBD without any other games or apps running, I choose to play as either survivor or killer and load into a match without any issues. My latency is usually around 40-50 ms and I never have issues with my internet, I will play the match as I normally do, usually I am kicked while doing actions such as working on gens or attempting to vault in chase, it doesn't matter what point of the match it is or how long the match lasts. Sometimes when I am kicked there is no warning at all, while other times I will see other players running straight into walls or I will be unable to do any actions until I am kicked. I am always kicked to the endgame screen with a disconnected from host pop up, in the endgame screen it tells me that the killer has also disconnected from the match and I am able to see all of their perks, the killer is not disconnected as when I play with friends they are able to finish the match as usual. I click out of the error message and click back to go back to my lobby, I have never been kicked from my own lobby just the match itself. Whenever this happens I can check my latency and it does not change, if I am in an Xbox party with friends I do not get kicked from that party and they can hear me as it is happening, I will often tell them I am being kicked before it happens which I would not be able to do if this was an internet issue.

    I have found this happens more often when I sit in my lobby too long without readying up or when I switch to a different character, which makes it really hard if I am waiting for friends to join or I want to upgrade in my blood web. Even knowing this and avoiding doing those actions, I will still get kicked from matches and receive higher and higher penalties. I genuinely believe this is a server issue and not a personal internet issue.

    I ask that someone at least tries to look into this, as I would hate to no longer be able to play on my account I have spent money and worked hard on. I am willing to give more information as needed and I am hoping to get video proof to update this report with soon.