No, increasing survivors' objective time would not decrease tunneling! (and that's fine)
A lot of people argue that the only reason killers tunnel is that survivors complete objectives too fast. In this argument, tunneling is the most effective strategy a killer can employ, and the only one powerful enough to allow killers to win games against (whatever tools are allowing survivors to finish gens so quickly). If only survivors had to spend more time working on objectives before the game ends, the argument goes, then killers wouldn't use the strategy.
Here's the problem, though. If all you change is how fast survivors do generators, and you aren't changing how effective tunneling is, tunneling is still the most effective strategy and killers who want to win will still tunnel. In fact, increasing gen speed makes tunneling more effective.It can basically boil down to the following:
Expectation: "As a killer player, now that the gen speed is nerfed, I don't have to worry about gen rushers so much. I'll take my time chasing all the different survivors."
Reality: "As a killer player, I want to win. Now that the gen speed is nerfed, I have even more time to tunnel one player out of the game and make it a 1v3."
I personally enjoy getting tunneled most of the time (chases are fun) but it absolutely baffles me why someone would argue that making gens take longer would reduce tunneling when it makes the strategy even more effective.
Comments
I didn't read what I wrote. I never said people didn't agree that tunneling is the easiest way to win. That doesn't run contradictory to my point.
I mean yeah, thats over commiting
Your job at the beginning of the match is to rid as many resources as possible to make the mid and late game more bearable. Sure you can chase 1 Survivor for 2 minutes to have the same effect but you dont have that natural slowdown youd usually get from jumping between them.
To me going from chase to chase is fun, and usually is pretty fun for Survivors as well as they get multiple chances at a chase.
But thats the point right there. you want it balanced for killers for skilled swf. But swf still have a huge advantage over solo survivors, and that means throwing solo survivors under the bus, because even with the hud, they cant compete with the level of coordination and information swf have.
The only resolution for that is to part solo and swf queue, and balance them both seperatly. But they wont do that.
"that means throwing solo survivors under the bus"
Which is essentially what you're wanting for killers when they vs skilled swf then, to get thrown under the bus. Games are better balanced top down, not bottom up. When it's top down those bad survivors can change their outcome by improving at the game, but if you balance bottom up the people at the top have literally nothing they can do. One balance strategy gives everyone agency, one does not. Players always need agency.
Is that even a question? If you've been around since early DBD, then you'd know matchmaking is always an issue and every attempt to remedy it does nothing except make it worse. You're getting these unfun matched because of the nature of how matchmaking is. MMR is the most ineffective thing considering how easy it is to inflate your MMR to be in higher level lobbies
The thing is, that solo survior cannot improve to a level of swf with total information and reliability, even if the information part could be given by the devs, the reliability-part can´t. Thats why it would just kill off solo survivors.
And just to be clear, while i was a survivor main for years, i played both roles, and have become a true 50/50 Player, so i win AND lose either way.
But still i think seperating solo and swf is the only way to do it.
I don't think they need to improve a swf level to compete. The actually don’t think it would kill solo queue off.
I still would rather them be separated as well though. Swf in casual mode and solo in ranked.