Experimental Anti Tunnel/Camp Game Mode Idea

Long post warning!!!!!! Please bare with me if you have the patience to read all of this. LOL!

So as we all know the current meta essentially requires killers to tunnel and/or camp to get a chance at getting kills/wins, at least in the higher MMR ranks (to my understanding the tunneling meta is a result of combating the survivor gen speed meta, correct me if I'm wrong). For anyone who mains survivor I assume you would agree with me when I say this play style is frustrating and most importantly just not fun to play against. I can't imagine tunneling and camping is very fun for killers either.

For context, I do not consider myself a meta player. I find playing with the same builds repeatedly to be very stale and boring, I enjoy variety and therefore enjoy experimenting with a variety of perk and item builds. I also am not a player that cares very much for winning, if I have a fun game against a killer and my entire team dies then that's completely fine by me, at least I had fun. With that said I also enjoy variety with the killers I play against, and coming to a point where I basically expect killers to camp or tunnel gets repetitive and stale very quickly. What's the point of all these killers offering their own gameplay style if they all end up playing the same? after all variety is the spice of life. This got me thinking about an experimental game mode that would essentially eliminate tunneling and camping completely, or almost completely.

What if instead of individual hook stages per survivor, all survivors would have a shared pool of hook stages amongst the entire team? Killers would need to get a minimum amount of hook stage progress in total before being able to kill survivors out of the match, regardless of who's been hooked however many times.

For this example a killer must get 6 hook stages total, and every hook after the 6th stage results in the death of a survivor. Survivors on the hook would progress hook stages as normal, so the longer a survivor is on a hook, or the more escape attempts they make while on a hook, the more stages are added to the shared pool of hook stages.

Survivors who are tunneled would need to be hooked a total of 7 times before getting killed, and survivors who are camped would need to be hanging on the hook for a total of 6 minutes (if they don't risk escaping the hook) before getting killed. This would also mean that if a survivor has never been hooked the entire game, but ends up as the 7th, onward, total hook stage, they would get killed off immediately even though they haven't been hooked before.

This game mode would essentially make the killers primary goal to hook survivors as many times as possible rather than killing them before the exit gates are powered, and survivors would have an added cooperative dynamic to be more strategic with hook stages instead of being more or less everyone for themselves. Killers get rewarded for hooking survivors, survivors get rewarded for higher risk cooperative strategies.

I hope all of this makes sense. I very much understand such a game mode would introduce its own set of balancing and meta issues, that's why I think of this as something much more experimental rather than a reality I would actually want in game. None the less I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this idea, whether you think it's interesting or just plain stupid, LOL!. Cheers!

Comments

  • I wouldn't be against a game with board game rules on the goal.

    Unfortunately, it also means that a sore loser who was mildly inconvenienced would bring the entire team with them even harder than they already do.

  • @filipomel said:

    Long post warning!!!!!! Please bare with me if you have the patience to read all of this. LOL!

    So as we all know the current meta essentially requires killers to tunnel and/or camp to get a chance at getting kills/wins, at least in the higher MMR ranks (to my understanding the tunneling meta is a result of combating the survivor gen speed meta, correct me if I'm wrong). For anyone who mains survivor I assume you would agree with me when I say this play style is frustrating and most importantly just not fun to play against. I can't imagine tunneling and camping is very fun for killers either.

    For context, I do not consider myself a meta player. I find playing with the same builds repeatedly to be very stale and boring, I enjoy variety and therefore enjoy experimenting with a variety of perk and item builds. I also am not a player that cares very much for winning, if I have a fun game against a killer and my entire team dies then that's completely fine by me, at least I had fun. With that said I also enjoy variety with the killers I play against, and coming to a point where I basically expect killers to camp or tunnel gets repetitive and stale very quickly. What's the point of all these killers offering their own gameplay style if they all end up playing the same? after all variety is the spice of life. This got me thinking about an experimental game mode that would essentially eliminate tunneling and camping completely, or almost completely.

    What if instead of individual hook stages per survivor, all survivors would have a shared pool of hook stages amongst the entire team? Killers would need to get a minimum amount of hook stage progress in total before being able to kill survivors out of the match, regardless of who's been hooked however many times.

    For this example a killer must get 6 hook stages total, and every hook after the 6th stage results in the death of a survivor. Survivors on the hook would progress hook stages as normal, so the longer a survivor is on a hook, or the more escape attempts they make while on a hook, the more stages are added to the shared pool of hook stages.

    Survivors who are tunneled would need to be hooked a total of 7 times before getting killed, and survivors who are camped would need to be hanging on the hook for a total of 6 minutes (if they don't risk escaping the hook) before getting killed. This would also mean that if a survivor has never been hooked the entire game, but ends up as the 7th, onward, total hook stage, they would get killed off immediately even though they haven't been hooked before.

    This game mode would essentially make the killers primary goal to hook survivors as many times as possible rather than killing them before the exit gates are powered, and survivors would have an added cooperative dynamic to be more strategic with hook stages instead of being more or less everyone for themselves. Killers get rewarded for hooking survivors, survivors get rewarded for higher risk cooperative strategies.

    I hope all of this makes sense. I very much understand such a game mode would introduce its own set of balancing and meta issues, that's why I think of this as something much more experimental rather than a reality I would actually want in game. None the less I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this idea, whether you think it's interesting or just plain stupid, LOL!. Cheers!

    Didn't I see this post before?

  • @filipomel said:

    Long post warning!!!!!! Please bare with me if you have the patience to read all of this. LOL!

    So as we all know the current meta essentially requires killers to tunnel and/or camp to get a chance at getting kills/wins, at least in the higher MMR ranks (to my understanding the tunneling meta is a result of combating the survivor gen speed meta, correct me if I'm wrong). For anyone who mains survivor I assume you would agree with me when I say this play style is frustrating and most importantly just not fun to play against. I can't imagine tunneling and camping is very fun for killers either.

    For context, I do not consider myself a meta player. I find playing with the same builds repeatedly to be very stale and boring, I enjoy variety and therefore enjoy experimenting with a variety of perk and item builds. I also am not a player that cares very much for winning, if I have a fun game against a killer and my entire team dies then that's completely fine by me, at least I had fun. With that said I also enjoy variety with the killers I play against, and coming to a point where I basically expect killers to camp or tunnel gets repetitive and stale very quickly. What's the point of all these killers offering their own gameplay style if they all end up playing the same? after all variety is the spice of life. This got me thinking about an experimental game mode that would essentially eliminate tunneling and camping completely, or almost completely.

    What if instead of individual hook stages per survivor, all survivors would have a shared pool of hook stages amongst the entire team? Killers would need to get a minimum amount of hook stage progress in total before being able to kill survivors out of the match, regardless of who's been hooked however many times.

    For this example a killer must get 6 hook stages total, and every hook after the 6th stage results in the death of a survivor. Survivors on the hook would progress hook stages as normal, so the longer a survivor is on a hook, or the more escape attempts they make while on a hook, the more stages are added to the shared pool of hook stages.

    Survivors who are tunneled would need to be hooked a total of 7 times before getting killed, and survivors who are camped would need to be hanging on the hook for a total of 6 minutes (if they don't risk escaping the hook) before getting killed. This would also mean that if a survivor has never been hooked the entire game, but ends up as the 7th, onward, total hook stage, they would get killed off immediately even though they haven't been hooked before.

    This game mode would essentially make the killers primary goal to hook survivors as many times as possible rather than killing them before the exit gates are powered, and survivors would have an added cooperative dynamic to be more strategic with hook stages instead of being more or less everyone for themselves. Killers get rewarded for hooking survivors, survivors get rewarded for higher risk cooperative strategies.

    I hope all of this makes sense. I very much understand such a game mode would introduce its own set of balancing and meta issues, that's why I think of this as something much more experimental rather than a reality I would actually want in game. None the less I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this idea, whether you think it's interesting or just plain stupid, LOL!. Cheers!

    you also need to add +10 seconds for each hook and +20 if the same survivor hangs in a row.

  • Expect the swarm of campters/tunnelers in the comments that will be defending with their life ability to easy win every match, because already effortless winning 95% of matches is very survivor sided and unbearable.

  • What if instead of individual hook stages per survivor, all survivors would have a shared pool of hook stages amongst the entire team? Killers would need to get a minimum amount of hook stage progress in total before being able to kill survivors out of the match, regardless of who's been hooked however many times.

    My face when dumb Survivors have used all the Hook Stages and I get hooked once and died.

    Untitled Image

    What I mean is that it ends up destroying people who don't deserve it.

  • Don't even bother coming up with ideas to fix tunneling/camping. That's something BHVR should be working on, they have the money and resources to do it. Why should we who already support them financially bother with this nonsense?

    BHVR isn't going to do anything about it, they don't care. All BHVR cares about is $$$. As long as people are happy with cosmetics, they don't care about people actually being happy or disliking the game.

    They make weak killers (with insane OP addons) to balance things out which it doesn't. Then, killers complain about survivors being OP, so the camp/tunnel to balance it out.

    It's an endless monotonous tiring cycle which is why I find myself playing this game less and less each day, even my friends don't play this game as often anymore, it's boring with all the tunneling/camping.

  • @healsoflove718 said:

    Don't even bother coming up with ideas to fix tunneling/camping. That's something BHVR should be working on, they have the money and resources to do it. Why should we who already support them financially bother with this nonsense?

    BHVR isn't going to do anything about it, they don't care. All BHVR cares about is $$$. As long as people are happy with cosmetics, they don't care about people actually being happy or disliking the game.

    They make weak killers (with insane OP addons) to balance things out which it doesn't. Then, killers complain about survivors being OP, so the camp/tunnel to balance it out.

    It's an endless monotonous tiring cycle which is why I find myself playing this game less and less each day, even my friends don't play this game as often anymore, it's boring with all the tunneling/camping.

    after Mats badham game I think he supports tunnelling the dweeb