SBMM is problematic for the game
I don't understand why a game with such a big RNG factors and core game balance issues needs to have Skill Based Matchmaking. Lately I've been going consistently on 6-7 win streaks with Legion every couple of days with a maximum of 2-3 draws/losses in between, and I'm under the suspicion that my MMR as killer has skyrocketed.
Most recent games are always against SWFs who bring map offerings and have cheesy strats with boil over and such, extremely high character level(between P60 and P100), and have ridiculous efficiency on gens. Pair that with the fact that they are using voice chat and the most meta builds, and you have one miserable M1 killer experience. This has been going on for several months now.
The main issue isn't the SWF. More often than not I win against the aforementioned sweaty goon squads, but I don't feel satisfaction in the end. On the contrary, the stress it took me to win against these tactics sucks the joy out of the experience. At the end of a session, I feel mentally drained, even if I've won more games than I have lost.
Furthermore, being matched with SWFs and sweaty people FORCES me to always bring the most meta loadout, because that's what I'll be facing. This in turn further boosts my MMR when I win, which matches me against even sweatier people, and so on and so on, creating a never-ending loop of sweat on both teams.
If I dare to bring a niche build or play "nice"(eg no tunneling, proxy camping), I'm met with ruthless efficiency, tbagging at the gates, and post-game insults such as "ez" roughly 80% of the time. I really enjoy playing off-meta builds like Undetectable Legion, Endgame Rancor builds and pallet shredder, but I don't get more than 1-2 kills with them these days.
A good start to fixing these issues, in my opinion, would be to slap bloodpoints on a lot of the less used perks. I don't think I'm the only one here who would sacrifice their "win" in order to get more BPs, as this was the case back when BBQ and Chilly used to give bonus BPs. Gaining significantly increased BPs at the end as a result of an off-meta build would make going through the stressful games worth it. Heck, I wouldn't even care if I got 0 kills at the end, so long as I'm rewarded for the time and effort I put in in order for 4 survivors to have fun(say 60-70k BPs). This way I'll be able to level up and unlock killers faster, which will incentivize me to play off-meta builds that survivors would enjoy playing against, creating a loop of anti-sweat.
Removing SBMM entirely would also be a fix, but that will probably never happen. I'm curious to hear what you think about the proposed BPs boost for off-meta perks.
Comments
I could be bribed to play non meta perks, so the idea is good, its just devs wont do it
I like BP but with out some sorting out you're going to get a bunch of easy wins for killers so how is that going to be any fun?
So I had the exact same situation, won games till I hit the soft cap, then started getting the most sweaty, aneurysm inducing matches of my life. Best advice I can give you is take the L. Play the way you like to play and take every L it gives you until you start winning again. Learn to ignore the t-bags and avoid the gate. Turn off chat or immediately hit continue after the match.
Once you get back down to a certain spot, it's like a different game. Games are way more chill on average, survivors aren't nearly as nasty with the BM. Just manage your MMR closely at that point - always give hatch or more to avoid pushing my MMR up to much. I enjoy probably 90% of my matches, and because I'm not having to run the absolute top sweaty builds and tactics, usually the survivors have a good time to.
I get it, you don't like sweaty games all the time but...
"The main issue isn't the SWF. More often than not I win against the aforementioned sweaty goon squads, but I don't feel satisfaction in the end. On the contrary, the stress it took me to win against these tactics sucks the joy out of the experience. At the end of a session, I feel mentally drained, even if I've won more games than I have lost."
To me you're kind of saying that you don't like games were you have to try and to me that's kind of problematic. I mean I would think you have to sweat a little to win most of your matches. I don't think many survivors that come in with meme builds and goof around expect to win, especially if they're solo.
You also say that even running a meme build you get 1-2 kills, which to me would be fantastic if I was just messing around.
Having said all that I don't really like SBMM, at least I don't like how it's calculated in this game. I would prefer a ranked mode with a ruleset voted for by the community and go back to something like the old system for casual play. I also think your idea about off meta perks giving a BP boost is great, or maybe the devs could specifically make perks that have fun effects that give BP gains.