"It's A Horror Game" Does Not Justify Poor Balance...
I feel like the "it's a horror game" argument is thrown around a lot when it comes to balancing the game. To be more specific, I always see people say "Survivors dont fear the Killer" as a means to buffing aspects of the game which often do not have any correlation to making people feel fear.
"DBD is a horror game" and "Survivors dont fear the Killer" to start with, just is not a really good argument. For newer players, DBD can be a scary game, but like any other game, the fear factor goes away over time. You cant force people to feel afraid by making one side more powerful. Past Patch 6.1.0, I never found find myself "shivering my timbers" when I see the Killer, since my ability to be afraid from DBD has mostly gone away.
And DBD, with how much nuance there is, rushing basekit changes because "a few people arent afraid". Said nuance, and even DBD as a whole, is like a delicate Harp, if you pull on the strings to hard, it starts to fall apart. If anything, I would argue that it would have a polar opposite effect, instead of feeling fear and excitement, instead it just causes anger and frustration.
"DBD is a horror game" swings both ways as well, since I constantly see people suggesting the removal of mechanics on both sides, as well as introducing older mechanics back into the game that were removed for a reason. Ive seen people wanting aura reading removed, Ive seen people wanting insanely limited vision, etc. but obviously it's just hastily made posts with no regards to the overall picture that BHVR is trying to reach.
Regardless of such, DBD is still technically a horror game, just stop trying to force "horror" onto others because they've grown out of it.
Comments
It's always "The killer should feel like an unstoppable force" when really they just mean "I want easy 4ks"