Community Poll (Again): Do You Think This Game Can Last 5 More Years?

The title says it all! The devs want to make content for this game for at least 5 more years. So, do you think it will last that long?

Comments

  • I mean, it's possible.

    It will be painful probably, just like the last few.

  • Possibly, thats if the toxicity doesn't run everyone off the game first. 

    :chuffed:
  • Can? Yes.

    Will it? I don’t know.

    After the dedicated servers arrive and the game is well optimized, then I really hope that Behavior will invest into many more employees.

    Because the current rate of updates for the game is unacceptable to me personally.
  • If they keep creating more content, then sure why not.
    I mean, look at games like Diablo 3 and Overwatch for example.

  • I dont really care, there are more games to play out there.
  • If they optimize and fix the damn console's framerate then I'm easily a lifelong player.  Some maps as some killers is just the worst.  Occasionally some Survivor matches I get run perfectly fine (seemingly better than when Im Killer) and then I encountered a Sloppy Butcher glitch where EVERYONE, even after being healed spurting blood and tanking the game to almost 5 frames.... 

     Not to mention my GF and I have difficulty getting into a match as SWF, so that kills off a lot of me playing :/ so something is up with the matchmaking on console (seemingly at night), had a whole thing where 20-25mins went by without any matchmatch, she had to leave and not even a second, I was thrown into a match.  It can't be that hard to find a game for 2 in a SWF :/

    So, while I want this game to last damn near forever, it's in dire need of fixing....hire out people who can actually fix these things, because years of these same issues is unacceptable, esp when we're told misinformation, saying half truths...

    I have a ton of love and support for this game, but at somepoint the lack of structural support from the Devs/Company is gonna be breaking the camel's back for others & myself. 
  • tl;dr - In current state no
    With the addition of dedicated servers I imagine it prolongs the games life but it's not going to make or break whether this game last for years imo

    Additional tl;dr
    Support tournaments, modders and fight against toxicity with better tools aside from a report system.

    Game definitely has 2 years at least but honestly how can any of us know almost anything could happen in that time.


    Personally while I understand they want to support the game as long as reasonably possible I would be surprised to see the game have more than 2000 people in 5 years. I imagine when this game isn't retaining as many players through sales as it currently does they'll do a permanent price drop or something along those lines. Usually horror games have a small player count so I'm honestly surprised DBD has lasted this long. Dedicated servers will help but I imagine at launch it's going to cause a lot of problems that are going to frustrate players until resolved.

    The things I believe this game needs to survive is honestly a better report system and more ways to deal with toxic players other than a report system. Players keep giving the bullshit excuse to ignore it but honestly I shouldn't have to deal with nonsense in the first place.

    New player experience is trash because of how many perks are available. Many people including myself support the idea of making all perks only 1 tier. It would reduce the grind and be easier for the devs to balance. There should be some weekly that gives players access to perks they don't have temporarily imo. Would be a good way for new players to try stuff out without wasting a lot of BP so they can stay competitive.

    Personally I'd love to see Dead by Daylight get mod support for cosmetics and custom maps. If enough people got into making content for DBD the devs may get to a point where they can focus a little more on other content aside from cosmetics. Offer to buy the top of the line stuff from those who made it and then add it to the game.

    I'd also like to see more features that benefit players who host tournaments. Lan support, better spectator features, and continued support for peer2peer in KYF. There's a lot of great content made every day for competitive games and I feel as though DBD could have more serious content if the game had better support for those who make content like that. TydeTyme for example does an excellent job casting DBD games and I'd like to see more content like that. Also no I'm not trying to suggest Dead by Daylight is E-Sports material but I find tournaments entertaining to watch.

    Maybe I'm rambling but I feel as though DBD has a lot of room to grow.

  • If there comes along an actual competitor to DbD, then no.
    Dead by Daylight got a unique niche in the market and they're also the only game within that niche. The devs know this, that's why Mathieu behaves like the arrogant piece of turd with constant woke statements that'd have people fired in other companies.

    It's like with Battlefield 5. That guy telling people to play something else if they don't like it. What happened? Battlefield 5 sells extremely bad. Already on massive permanent sales all over the internet. Thanks to that one guy. Mathieu has told us the same. Don't like it? Go play Civ 5. DbD would have suffered the same fate if it had a competitor.

    As long as DbD has the market monopoly on asymmetrical horror games, it ain't gonna die within 5 years.

  • @NightmareReborn said:
    The title says it all! The devs want to make content for this game for at least 5 more years. So, do you think it will last that long?

    ofc NOT, reasoning:

    • that is the speech any games Company would say, but in the end they will make decissions year by year to renew or not based on the profitability
    • up to 122 perks (in the 5th year) will make DBD unsustainable to be limited to have only 4 slots and leave 118, besides, building any desired tier III will be a nightmare with months to reach it
    • more unsastainability will come if devs to not take risky actions like new game modes or fixing long-discussed issues like the Hatch standoffs or DS
    • newer technologies such as VR in gaming will beat DBD and force it to include such as well as distance-based speaking in game, in order to keep with the gaming trends, or else die
  • Anything is possible.

    They may be dropping the ball on licensed killers (still no freddy rework, and Pig use a hand), but I will have a better idea based on what they do with legion.
    This would be maybe the second way too weak killer thry have to fix up after the Spirit?

    They pull up out of Legions nose dive, and yeah, I figure they have a chance. If not, then, well, their treatment of their own killers will be too hit and miss, Imo.
  • As long as it adheres to balance at high ranks and variety in viable killers. 
  • Last? Yes.
    Will it keep the playerbase? I don't think so.

    Game is getting stale for most players as only killers make the game different while survivor side of things remains the same.

  • Not with this attitude.

    Trying to point out this game's problems is so difficult. They don't want to acknowledge them, when you try your best and catch their attention, they give answers like go and play civ5. In the end, they do acknowledge them but after a long battle.

    Fixes for game breaking bugs don't come for days. We are still talking about DS and hatch. Some killers are really terrible but they refuse to make them stronger and even if they accept, it takes months for them to do so.

    Game has very unfun mechanics, camping and tunneling for survivors, getting gen rushed for killers. I believe they could have created better concepts than 'defensible hooks' or 'potential to end the game within 3 minutes'.

    Partly the reason why DbD is 'so' successful right now is because it is the only successful slasher game out there. When we get new choices, I am sure that DbD will not be as strong as it used to be.

    After all, it depends on them. If they can make this game less frustrating and more fun for both parties, the game could last 5 years easily. If they can't, nope.

  • As long as they're not gonna be Howling Grounds stupid again, yes.

  • @NightmareReborn said:
    The title says it all! The devs want to make content for this game for at least 5 more years. So, do you think it will last that long?

    The only way it's gonna last long and still have players is by addressing the core issues and frustrations with the game.
    They need to take a second look at age-old mechanics in their game and rework them based on a comprehensive understanding of the problems they cause.

    Proper game balance is what helps games like League of Legends create the communities that they have. If such games used a similar mentality as We see Behaviour adopting, then League would have an infinite Assassin meta and after a while you'd see people stop playing.

  • @NightmareReborn said:
    The title says it all! The devs want to make content for this game for at least 5 more years. So, do you think it will last that long?

    Honestly, no.

    Dedicated are definitely necessary for this, but not sufficient.
    DBD is in DESPERATE need of a proper ranked system and proper rewards for it. Currently its just a gigantic grind for perks (which is a system that needs to be reworked too with the amount of chapters)

  • @ModernFable said:
    Can? Yes.

    Will it? I don’t know.

    After the dedicated servers arrive and the game is well optimized, then I really hope that Behavior will invest into many more employees.

    Because the current rate of updates for the game is unacceptable to me personally.

    I think the amount of updates are fine its just the quality of the updates isn't always what the community wants or the game needs. I feel like sometimes they get it right but in the next patch they take 3 steps backwards.

    Lets also not forget the insane amount of bugs...I think Bethesda would be proud.

  • @ModernFable said:
    Can? Yes.

    Will it? I don’t know.

    After the dedicated servers arrive and the game is well optimized, then I really hope that Behavior will invest into many more employees.

    Because the current rate of updates for the game is unacceptable to me personally.

    I think the amount of updates are fine its just the quality of the updates isn't always what the community wants or the game needs. I feel like sometimes they get it right but in the next patch they take 3 steps backwards.

    Lets also not forget the insane amount of bugs...I think Bethesda would be proud.

    Coming from other games with bi-weekly updates or every 3 weeks, I think Dead by Daylight’s update schedule is absurd.

    A month or so for a big content patch and then a whole ‘nother  month for a balance patch.

    In other games I play, every update is a content and balance patch, and yet they still come out much much faster than what Behavior’s team manages to do.
  • It could but I don't think it will if devs continue to release untested patches and use the ptb as a demo instead of an actual test server.
  • Maybe, with older players who are fed up with dbd bs leaving and new ones who have no clue about the state of the game coming in

  • Personally I think that to make the game last that long they should slow down with the new content (since it seems it takes a lot of their resources) and work a lot on increasing the quality of what is already there: optimization, grind, balance and so on.

  • I think it could last long, they've come so far already. They need to work on a few things and balance issues and also create a better ranking system aside from that if they do those things they can sustain a few more years.