How come exhaustion perks aren't activate-able on demand?
After reading the Dead Hard thread I got into thinking. What makes Dead Hard so popular?
Well,
- It's pretty fun to use and it feels rewarding to get right.
- You are in control of when to use it as long as you're injured, therefore giving you more agency.
I can see myself using the other exhaustion perks if I had more control over when they activate, so why can't we get a button for every exhaustion perk when we want to activate (like say before or during vaulting a window we can input Lithe so it activates once vaulting finishes etc.)
I think giving more control over some things is a better game design, or at least feels better and like you have more agency.
Comments
Head On, Lithe, Sprint Burst, and Balanced Landing kind of are. There’s no button to activate them but each one is triggered directly by the autonomy of survivors. Overcome isn’t.
I was talking more like Dead Hard. I guess you get to use them more this way no doubt, especially sprint burst, but I would entertain the idea of it not been used automatically when you press the run button. Maybe then we wouldn't have to see all those walking Megs.
Other Exhaustion perks are just bursts of speed that occur under a certain condition. If these were on demand, not only would they all be identical, but they'd all be far more effective than Dead Hard is, and would be more broken than the old Dead Hard.
But they'd still have to meet the same conditions. I would simply choose if Lithe should activate when I decide to vault this window or the next one.
You can, you can slow vault the window.
You can choose to not drop off a ledge and activate Balanced.
In any scenario where you're choosing not to activate them, you're not being chased by the killer. You have zero reason to drop off a ledge in chase and not take the speed boost, and if the killer is close enough that a slow vault will result in a hit, then you'll want to trigger Lithe.
I think he means deciding when to activate them like you are being chased, reach a L/T, start running it and once its time to leave because its exhausted then you decide to activate Lithe and gain the speed burst to exit the tile, at least its how I understand the "on demand" thing.
If thats the suggestion it would make them superbusted.
When in a chase, the survivor has more control over the routing of the chase than the killer does. The killer can do things like zone or mindgame to try to take that agency away (especially with anti-loop powers,) but for the most part the survivor is plotting the course. This is how a lot of perks like Lithe and Balanced Landing are intended to be used, you lead the chase in a way that you use the perk at just the right time to extend the chase unexpectedly (and is also one of the strengths of Windows of Opportunity, being able to accurately route said resources efficiently.) Sprint Burst has this to a degree as well, but you have to be able to manage your exhaustion in the over 90% range to be able to stop running momentarily at a loop to do so. In the end, Dead Hard is the only one that doesn't require routing to be used mid chase effectively, though even then, doing so and using it to mindgame a pallet or window improves its effectiveness considerably.