Fractured Cowshed has to be addressed.
So, we've had a literal span of 2+ years now where people have outright begged BHVR to change Fractured Cowshed to change the weights of the tiles since something has to be off about them. It's quite literally not uncommon at all to see every single tile on the map link into each other in a big square/rectangle, through both the barn and the killer shack. Most of the tiles around the map also having open loops where you can't mind game, moonwalk or anything of the sort, let alone the fact that this map also has an absolutely absurd amount of pallets for how safe the loops are.
That's not even taking into consideration the fact that they somehow thought that the barn, which was already one of the strongest buildings in the game before the changes, decided that it needed breakable walls which means you can be ENSURED to lose up towards three chases due to the inability to actually move in the barn. There should never be a position on the map where, regardless of where you are, you move towards that area just because you already know there's no way for you to get caught in that building unless someone has already brought them to the building multiple times over, at which point - why aren't you already queued up for the next game?
When I play this map as a survivor, I feel bad because I know unless you are someone like Nurse or Blight, you have to play in the absolute sweatiest and most boring manner possible. When I play this map as a killer, I feel like giving a cheek kiss to a moving train.
Comments
You didn't see old cowshed mainbuilding? That thing was far worse dude, it was so terrible dude xD Basically the same but no breakable walls so the window that leads into where basement was is a safe 3 vault window and if done correctly you could loose chase so it would not get entity blocked and therefore you could infinite a killer there... Good old times dude ^^
Yeah agreed the map is way to loaded with safe tiles and so on.. I have to admit even as killer I don't dislike it... It takes more skill to run it than the game ( I know thats not really an achievement, every map takes more skill to run than the game...) but I find it quite hillarious how bad you need to be as survivor to get hit and how hard a M1 Killer struggles to get a hit... This map is an atrocity and I love it XD But since there can never be enough balanced maps I don't mind if they make it more balanced... Hopefully they don't overdo it though...
God forbid there be an unsafe pallet on that map.
The map is strong on survivor side. But I can't say it's impossible (at least for me) to win there as killer or to loose as survivor.
Considering cowshed is same realm as rotten fields, I think they are fair exchange. So sure - if we want to have everything more balanced (I am not opposed to it), then take a few loops from cowshed and move them to rotten field somewhere to mid area so that map center will not be a dead zone.
But rotten fields is also an already quite strong survivor map.. Why would you want to buff it :D:D It has a lot of save structures at the edges of the map and the objectives are all on the edges of the map making the killer travel a longer distance XD
What? That map is 4th worst survivor map in a game.
1, midwitch
2, shelter woods
3, lery's
4, rotten fields
How can you call a map that contains 0 map-specific loopable structures, huge deadzone in middle, always available basement and only gyms (that are 100% RNG - so possibly useless thing) strong? I mean - maybe if you suffer from corn blindness. But still
It can spawn cow tree or the tractor that can be looped into a jungle gym, some of the straw balls are also loopable into jungle gyms... Basically all pallets that spawn on the map are really safe + the above mentioned long walking times... I think that you're overestimating the deadzones in the middle...There are maps which are far worse when it comes to deadzones and the tiles on the edges of the map are somewhat well connected... not Cowshed levels of connected but close enough for you to reach a different tile... And as far as I know it always spawn double digit amounts of (safe) pallets...
It's rng. You can get good loops, you can get bad loops. What you will always get are several generators, that have only protection of said generator and corn. As I said - for me 4th toughest map in a whole game - and I will gladly pick any other map for this one (except the 3 that are higher on my list).
I mean sure - I can't untangle myself on yamaoka map loops (especially family residence as I somewhat like sanctum's main) so I don't particularly like those too. But I know that is a me thing. On the contrary I consider rotten fields objectively bad map for survivors
The gens are all on the edges of the map which makes sneaking up on you rather rough unless you're stealthy with not heartbeat... I think it is a really good survivor map... 2nd best survivor coldwind map in my opinion and overall in the top 10 I think. Wasn't it the map with the most escapes like a year ago or so? Even before cowshed back then?
From me watching the map I remember there are always about 2 generators close to shack (meaning in the dead zone) and there's high chance to find one on the edge that has no protection for 10m in any direction (but maybe hook if you get lucky spawn). So there are 3 gens where you are fully naked against killer. But I have to admit, that there is one good thing about this map for survivors - and that it is large. So slow m1 killers can have hard time sometimes. On the other hand it also means you will never get to that cow tree when you need it (as it is the only safe and reliably strong structure on the map).
As for statistics - I have no idea. I haven't seen those. I only saw the best and the worst survivors map which were cowshed and midwitch at that time.
I just searched for a little bit... So back in early 2021 it was the map with the highest escape rates according to the latest set of data... I don't know what got changed since then, but I did not feel much of a difference whatsoever and I play the game for 3 years now... I don't think 10 meters is that much of an issue, you'll see the killer coming anyway and should be able to reach a tile most of the map... And I don't think cowtree is the only safe and reliable structure on this map... Most pallets are quite safe and really hard to ever mind game and it usually spawns 3 jungle gyms which is quite good.
It is not even that big, it's just that the gens are on the edges which makes the distance between them larger... And for the 10 m argument again... To make up a distance of 10 m the killer takes over 15 seconds (60cm/s) in which you can move 60m (4m/s)... You should be able to get to something... Except against Wraith or so I basically never feel like I'm in a complete deadzone to be honest.
Then all I have is personal experience - and that one tells me the map is pure awful. Once first chase is done, that part of the map is never usable again for me. IDK what is the matter with me if the map is so strong, but I literally would gladly take any other map to rotten fields. Like saloon is very nice option for me to go instead of rotten fields
Saloon is a really good killer map... It is small, most tiles outside of the town are not good and it is fairly easy to win on if you force a 3 gen out there, but you basically have to abandon chase when you come to the main building as it will take ages to get a hit there and the rest of the town is also fairly strong.
rotten field is like top 10 survivor-sided map. its miserable to play as killer. its one of the maps that needs to major nerfs in loop strength. I believe rotten field was once shown to have among highest escape-rates, it was like 3rd most escaped map or something. there is almost zero bad loops on rotten fields. all the loops really stupid strong and auto-pallet breaks when the pallet is dropped. because how dumb the map is in term of loop strength, most killers often just camp basement on that map due to busted pallet/loop design is on that map. Rotten field is one of those maps that auto-plays itself if your good at looping as survivor, really strong gen-rushing map as a result. Fracture cowshed and Rotten fields are main maps that people look for when burning farm map offering for ez mode survivor games. Rancid abator used to be broken when it had a god loop in the middle. Its still really unfair map but its less strong compare Rotten field and Cowshed. Torment creek(?) is above average map. Its strong but not too strong, middle of road map. Thompson house... again used to be another insane map with ton of safe loops everywhere, but in 4.1.0(?), they weakened the map. I would say its above average. Survivor-favoured map, just not as bad some of other maps that this game has.
Torment is quite large and it's sometimes hard to get to next loop on it before killer catches you. I would still prefer it to rotten fields. For Thomsons - my favorite out of all the farm maps. Like objectively fractured has more stuff to work with that can be chained. But Thomsons are much more interesting in my opinion. Whole house side is strong. And the weak part still contains pig tree (one of strongest structures) and harvester. Cowshed is strong too. I have no idea how rotten fields could ever be considered stronger then those other maps.
Rotten fields has 3 tile-set in the game, but unlike other maps with tile-set. it has no rng to them. it spawns guaranteed 3 classic jungle gyms. it also spawns Cow tree and centralized shack. Most if not every single filler pallet on rotten field is safe. Loop-wise. its complete pallet break hold-W simulator map. Cow tree, shack, 3 classic jungles, that is 5 guaranteed zero-mindgame god pallets for most of the killer cast. Each of these loop also come with strong window that you greed on. This one of the maps where at low-middle level, bad survivor players who are bad at greeding pallets complain that they'll run out of pallets, but at high-level, the skill expression for survivor looping is off-charts.
Rotten field used to be giant map, but after its realm beyond update, the map is smaller but not in a good way. normally a map being small means that the killer can pressure the map better by having shorter generator patrol routes but in rotten fields, its opposite. Smaller map in case of rotten field = easier gen rush. It has an unfavourable gen spread where every generator is next to some safe strong loop that wastes time so detaching chases is not worth anything.The corn blocks vision of the killer and as result, killer with no stealth capacity are somewhat easy to shift-w before the chase if you understand how killer heartbeat works. Its not favorable 3 gen map either so trying to waste resources without losing generators is almost futile. Killer that rely on line of sight have corn-blind issues.... I hate playing nurse on this map and just about every range killer as well.
The only thing makes rotten field not the most busted map in dbd is low pallet density. If you add like 6 safe filler pallets around centralized shack on this map, this would be one of the worst maps for killer. It is possible to run out of pallets on rotten fields but strong teams with strong generator efficiency paired with strong looping skills make this map nightmare to play on. it is why it had such high escape-rate. All the safe drop-pallet hold-w survivor maps are always unfun for killer to play against.