Response to the Validation Post

So this is really more of a follow up after seeing some of people's opinions and I have a theory that seems to hold up so far. DBD community operates in a way that's similar to politics and I finally see it. For example, the Survivor v. Killer (us v. them) bias feel close to a political party. It's kinda evident when you see stuff like "Oh well you must be a *insert* main". And watching certain content creators and reading the comments kinda reinforce my belief. Certain people create echo chambers to shame others for literally enjoying the game. "Tunnelling killers...","Gen rush survivors...", etc.

The content creator whether they know it or not, kinda operate like politicians or at least people with high influence to sway people to believe in something which add to the political ideas of Survivor v. Killer. This even includes some of the salty/toxic videos we see and enjoy some times because of how weird and entitled people sound.

And the media posts we see on social media feel vaugely close to slander videos we constantly see on YouTube.

Basically as a summary cause this rambling is going on a bit too long. The validation aspect I mentioned feels like a symptom of basic political structures when mixed with how wildly "diverse" people are.

*Tbh, I sound crazy and you don't have to agree but this is a theory/idea I have that feels close to home when reading some of these posts*

Comments

  • I think you're not that far off. Content creators, especially famous ones, will influence a lot of players to adopt their opinions, without really even trying to. Often times, promoting pretty unhealthy mindsets (see : win at all costs, yet call any counter from the other side disgusting).

    A lot of people look up to them, and will repeat those opinions whether they apply to their own experience or not. Plenty of times my friend has told me things that he obviously heard from high skill streamers, and when I ask him "But has [X] affected you personally ? Is this your experience of the game ?" he'll be like "Well, no, but it's most people's experience". Is it ? Or is it the experience of higher skill players, which are not by any means 'most people' ?

    Same with content creators creating extremely strong builds on either side, then coyly ending their video with "Please don't use this build.. :)"

    I think people show a lot of deference to famous content creators, and adopt most of their opinions as "they've played the game forever, surely they know better!", in that same time extrapolating that opinion from its source (a specific mmr bracket that the content creator was experiencing) to the game in general.

  • @HugTheHag said:

    I think you're not that far off. Content creators, especially famous ones, will influence a lot of players to adopt their opinions, without really even trying to. Often times, promoting pretty unhealthy mindsets (see : win at all costs, yet call any counter from the other side disgusting).

    A lot of people look up to them, and will repeat those opinions whether they apply to their own experience or not. Plenty of times my friend has told me things that he obviously heard from high skill streamers, and when I ask him "But has [X] affected you personally ? Is this your experience of the game ?" he'll be like "Well, no, but it's most people's experience". Is it ? Or is it the experience of higher skill players, which are not by any means 'most people' ?

    Same with content creators creating extremely strong builds on either side, then coyly ending their video with "Please don't use this build.. :)"

    I think people show a lot of deference to famous content creators, and adopt most of their opinions as "they've played the game forever, surely they know better!", in that same time extrapolating that opinion from its source (a specific mmr bracket that the content creator was experiencing) to the game in general.

    I noticed this for a while but I started to really tune into it cause midterm elections are happening hear and the way people were talking during that time reminds me so much of the dbd community and it felt odd