Team based MMR ratings, not gonna fix the bigger game issues.

It's a nice idea, reward people for sacrificing themselves to get others out or if someone contributed alot by being chased all game and dying at the end is amazing!

However...

This isnt gonna help at all in the most stressful games where your team or certain players arent actually doing anything.

As a solo Q player it's very common for me to see a DC, suicide or some survivor just hiding round the map avoiding gens. These players wont give me mmr, they arent doing anything in the trial and so if anything the work i put in will give mmr to the survivor that does nothing.

So if you loop the killer for ages but have a team not even on gens you dont gain anything even though it's not your fault.

If you are a 3v1 and the 4th is AFK or just hiding all game because of bad matchmaking they will benefit from the 3 effort while the 3 get nothing from the 1

Comments

  • Keep in mind MMR is about long term averages over strings of games. On average if you loop a killer all day you’ll escape more often than you don’t. MMR isn’t meant to address individual people being afk in specific matches, it’s meant to look at your averages over a lot of matches and get a ballpark bracket for the algorithm to pair you up,

    That said I do think DbD suffers from not having a clearly defined win and loss condition for the match as a whole where it declares “You Win!” or “You Lose!” at the end. Instead it has all these weird scoring systems and metrics and the Entity telling you how it feels that day and this annoying semi-cooperative thing of “maybe the survivors win as a team but maybe not”. And while this MMR change is a step toward saying the survivors win or lose as a team the devs seem to be hedging their bets and saying “well they win or lose as a team but not really because it’s still all individual wins and losses.” I honestly think the game would have been better served as a whole if from the get go there was a crystal clear win/loss condition for the survivors as a group. It would have given them their objective MMR group win loss metric, plus it would also have helped mitigate some or the sandbagging and ragequitting and such from players who throw the game for everybody else simply because they got downed. It’s water under the bridge at this point though. 🤷‍♂️

  • Let's not forget that matchmaking is not working that well either. It is like a wheel of fortune at this point.

  • @dugman said:

    Keep in mind MMR is about long term averages over strings of games. On average if you loop a killer all day you’ll escape more often than you don’t. MMR isn’t meant to address individual people being afk in specific matches, it’s meant to look at your averages over a lot of matches and get a ballpark bracket for the algorithm to pair you up,

    That said I do think DbD suffers from not having a clearly defined win and loss condition for the match as a whole where it declares “You Win!” or “You Lose!” at the end. Instead it has all these weird scoring systems and metrics and the Entity telling you how it feels that day and this annoying semi-cooperative thing of “maybe the survivors win as a team but maybe not”. And while this MMR change is a step toward saying the survivors win or lose as a team the devs seem to be hedging their bets and saying “well they win or lose as a team but not really because it’s still all individual wins and losses.” I honestly think the game would have been better served as a whole if from the get go there was a crystal clear win/loss condition for the survivors as a group. It would have given them their objective MMR group win loss metric, plus it would also have helped mitigate some or the sandbagging and ragequitting and such from players who throw the game for everybody else simply because they got downed. It’s water under the bridge at this point though. 🤷‍♂️

    Yeah see I'd like to believe that and I usually do often escape but after having 16games in a row with a DC/ragequit very early I dont think that's always the case lol.

    I dunno I preferred the emblem system it just needed tweaks. At least that way I was always award for my personal contribution even in a dead game that I was never gonna win from the get go and I knew I was rewarded most of the time for how I played.

    @Shaped said:

    Let's not forget that matchmaking is not working that well either. It is like a wheel of fortune at this point.

    Yeah most definitely especially as a solo Q player. One game get a team with a brain, next game they cant even hit basic skillchecks lol

  • It's going to suck.... seems that the game is more about wait times rather then good matches