Halloween Stats
I've stepped away from DbD for a good long while and decided that the Halloween Event would be a fine time to check back in to see how the game has changed in practice. I decided to play enough games to get all the cosmetics and finish up the killer side of the event bloodweb.
I played Demogorgon for the entirety of the event because 1) killer mmr is per-killer (for no good reason), so I wanted to see how/if MMR would stabilize over a long enough play time and 2) he's unavailable now, so I figured survivors might enjoy playing against somebody they don't see very often.
Game 1 - 2 hooks, 0 kills
Game 2 - 4 hooks, 0 kills
Game 3 - 3 hooks, 0 kills
Okay, well I haven't played in like 6+ months so it's expected I'd be pretty rusty. Plain to see they haven't done anything with the "MMR decay from absence" concept they bandied about a while ago.
Game 4 - 10 hooks, 3* kills (gave the last survivor the hatch)
Game 5 - 6 hooks, 0 kills
Game 6 - 10 hooks, 3* kills (gave the last survivor the hatch)
This is the point where I guess my MMR bottomed out and started rubberbanding between potato and pros. Sometimes it really feels like there's only two proficiency levels: grandmaster and "I'm 7 what is this?"
Game 7 - 9 hooks, 2 kills
Game 8 - 10 hooks, 2 kills
Game 9 - 6 hooks, 1 kill
The overall skill level of the survivors seemed to be reaching a happy medium. Though, the fact that I wasn't trying to tunnel out an opponent really shows in how high the hooks go and how successfully the survivors escape.
Game 10 - 9 hooks, 1 kill
Game 11 - 11 hooks, 3 kills
Game 12 - 4 hooks, 0 kills
This is about the point where I started noticing the survivor teams bringing all the same perks. CoH, Dead Hard, Deliverance, all the usual suspects. Almost as if the survivor meta nerf missed the target and just piled onto a handful of outliers instead of pounding down the super powered stuff.
Game 13 - 4 hooks, 0 kills
Game 14 - 1 hook, 0 kills
Game 15 - 4 hooks, 1 kill
Almost without warning, all of a sudden I started going up against obvious SWF teams. Guys who were all pre-readied when I joined the lobby, all playing the same character/outfit, all using identical perks, full of flashlights and coordinated body blocks to deny pressure. I didn't THINK I was doing all that well, but apparently MMR did.
Game 16 - 11 hooks, 3 kills
Game 17 - 10 hooks, 2 kills
Game 18 - 2 hooks, 0 kills
I got a brief respite from the solid-gold ass-kicking I was experiencing with a couple normal matches before yet another inexplicable visit to the Upper Echelons of MMR.
Game 19 - 11 hooks, 3* kills (gave the last survivor the hatch)
Game 20 - 9 hooks, 3 kills
Game 21 - 1 hooks, 0 kills
Game 22 - 10 hooks, 3 kills
And then to round things out, we got dropped back down into the Bush League just long enough to breathe before another trouncing. I did one last game to get the taste of 21 out of my mouth and had an immediately better time of it.
So, all the to say: MMR is still the on/off switch it used to be. Right when it seems like you're getting a happy medium, it turns to "get wrecked mode". Worth noting is that I had three "4k" games, all of which I gave the last survivor the hatch instead of locking in the final kill. However, I had NINE 0k games.
Don't get me wrong: I'm pretty out of practice and all. But when almost half my games are total blow-outs? Yeah, I'm having a hard time seeing all this "KILLERS GOT BUFFED LIKE CRAZY" noise these forums frequently spout. I can say pretty definitively:
No.
They didn't get buffed like crazy.
And as a final thought: Boy it sure is nice that all my characters have all the perks from everyone else due to the new prestige system. But BOY do I not have a reason to play the game now. The ONLY thing that was bringing me back to DbD was earning BP to buy perks for all the killers. Now, they all have them for free and why am I going to bother playing? I don't need BP anymore, that's for sure. Maybe 3-4 killers have really good addons and all the rest vary from 'meh' to 'totally useless.' I sure don't see the point in burning addons just to get the BP to buy more addons.
Kinda feels like they killed the whole reason for playing. Oh well! That's enough DbD for me. I'll come back when bots are in (or on the insanely slim chance they rework all of Pyramid Head's awful, AWFUL addons one day).
Comments
Both the "killer's got omega buffed" and the "Survivor meta got omega nerfed" are both overstating things horrendously. Survivor's lost iron will and the most busted perk in the game went from SSS tier to S tier. M1 killers got decent base kit buffs and killer's overall got 10 seconds off gens.
I don't really understand the whole, there is nothing to grind so I don't want to play anymore. If the grind was all that kept you playing, did you really like the game in the first place?
If I'm not playing for BP, I have to get some degree of variety from each match. Okay, so what does that variety encompass?
So the question remains: "did you really like the game in the first place?"
Yeah. I did. Originally. I've played it a bunch over the years. It's still the exact same, but the competition has gotten insanely harder while the rewards have vanished. So... what's the point?
Nice post OP, the inconsistency of MMR is very annoying as killer. I'm on console, so I can't lobby shop as well as a Steam player. I feel like I keep getting shoved into the lobbies that other people dodged instead of one that's actually matched to me
Game 10 = Pain 😫
And that's why people tunnel.