Journey to Iridescent 1 as Killer

I want to share with all of you my journey from Ash 4 to Iridescent 1. A quick disclaimer, I have only been playing Dead by Daylight for 3 months and I didn’t play killer until the second month. Although, to the DBD vets this is something you do every month for me this is an amazing achievement.

My Journey

As you may except there were ups and downs with my journey. (Clips) I started playing Huntress and quickly develops a knack with her. Hitting close to med range hatchets. (I don’t think I will ever be able to do the amazing trick shots others have developed.) Regardless, I started getting 4 Iridescent badges in most of my games until I got to Silver 4. That’s when it got harder for me. I had previously been relying on the mistakes of the Survivors rather than my skill, this was a mistake. Some groups were just too good at the game to make basic mistakes. This is where the Awesome DBD community helped me. From YT vids, to detailed blogs and forums. I found little tricks and tips that changed how I play. I went from being a passenger in the game to a driving force. Making survivors have to counter my plays rather than the reverse. I continued to play Huntress but added, Clown, Trickster, Trapper and Wraith to my roster. I have no talent for Nurse or Hillbilly and I learnt that the hard way. I plan to buy more of the other killers in the Halloween update, any suggestions on who?

I digress, I got to Iridescent 4 and I hit another wall. For four beamers, to gene rushing chads. It is hard for a new player like me to counter plays like that. However, I started to plan my games and started repeating information aloud to myself, like they have dead hard or there will be a beamer in the area. This pushed me through the last stage to Iridescent 1. Really the last push was all to do with mind games and Strategy.

Watching DBD content

I watch so my DBD content mostly for enjoyment, but I also learnt so much along the way. I do have a special thanks to Ayrun your survivor exploits and content may me such a better Killer.

If you want to get better at DBD or anything for that matter the information is out there and this DBD community is so helpful from guides to new builds. I want to thank them I could never have made it where I am now without all of you.

Let’s talk tips, what I learnt along the way:

3 Generators

At the beginning of every game pick three gens that you will defend at all costs. These need to be 3 gens close together. If the survivors are gen rushing or just getting the better of you in the early and med game, this can be your ace in late game where you make it impossible for them to win. It is all able having the Survivors on your terms, getting them out of position. In chase Survivors can narrate most of the chase and force you into loots you don’t want. Guarding a three gene with the strong chance of getting a hook forcing Survivors to dance to your beat which gives you an advantage.

Knowing who and when to chase

In each game say to yourself who is the strong link and who is the weak link. Never chase the strong link until they are out of position. How do you find out who that is? Easy chase them and if you have not caught them or hit them in 30 seconds or more, I would break chase and find someone else. Either they have an amazing loop, or they are a strong link. Weak links go to dead zones that have no loops and go down quick. A famous creator of DBD once said,

"Gene work is the easiest thing to do if you can get the strongest survivor in chase doing a gene you make them useless."

Using your power

This seems obvious, use your power but what I mean is use it correctly in spots that are advantageous to you. This is something that took me a long time to figure out. A lot of this is predicting where you think a survivor will go and what they will do. Will they vault this window, will they drop the pallet. If you predict correctly, you can use you power to counter their actions. For example, as huntress I would wind up my hatchet as soon as I thought a Survivor would drop a pallet. (Before they did it.) They would drop and I would throw. This does get more complex as mind games are big part of later DBD. All I am saying is make your power work for you not the enemy. As Survivors have counter play to each of the powers of the Killers and it is your job to counter or predict their counter and counter it yourself. (I am going to be using the work counter a lot.)

Mind Games

Mind Games are cord part of DBD. And my favourite element. As A Killer I have mental bank of information about each survivor. For example, I wind up a Hatchet as Huntress, do they dodge, how do they dodge? This helps me predict for the next hatchet. On the second hatchet do they do the same, do they have plan or are they panicking? Let me use a different example, how do they run loops, do they drop pallets early or do they greed the loop? Do they mind game, or do they play safe? Are they running through the game with no thought or are they also trying to predict my play? Lots of questions and a lot to start with I know. But this is what my brain says to me in chase. To defeat your enemy, you must know your enemy. Maybe I play too many strategy games and imply that too much to DBD, I don’t know all I can say is I have swung games from a lost to a win because of this skill.

Perks, Items, Offering

Before the game starts list all the items the survivors have taken, can they flashlight save, can they Sabotage hooks? Have this is you mind before you pick up a downed survivor.

What offering are they using? Are there any that negatively impact you? Maps can be so powerful like ‘the farm’ with infinite loops. If Survivors do this don’t play their game, make them play yours. They want you to chase and loop, don’t! Fake a chase and swap quickly onto another target out of position or on a gene. In the back of your head try to think of where all the survivors could be.

Perks tracking is important. You are probably thinking by now how can I remember all this? And I couldn’t do it either. The trick is to pick one thing you want to track and once you can master it move to another thing. Knowing to wait out a Dead Hard or that they have unbreakable is game changing!

If you want to get better as Killer play Survivor learn what other Killers do, think about what goes through your head. Remember to defeat your enemy you must know them and what better way than playing them. I learnt just as must from Survivor YT videos as Killer ones.

I do have so many other tips from Listening to visual cues, to perk builds but I feel this is long enough as it is. If you enjoy this, I will happily do more. This is also in video form on YT.

Any further tips of information are welcome I want to continue to get better at DBD. I just wanted to contribute to this awesome community.

Thanks,

Deaddiligent

Comments