Please unlink non-legendary sets - keep them as linked sets in store though.

Unless it's a Legendary Set, I don't see the reason as to why sets are linked.

By all means, sell the set as one and don't allow people to buy individual pieces of the set in the store (that's why they're a set), but there shouldn't be a reason as to why I can't play as Leon and wear his RE4 hair on his RE2 outfit, for instance. People have complained about Cheryl's cosmetics all being sets, and therefore no mixing and matching (even though (besides for the legendaries) it would make perfect sense to allow those sets to be mix and matchable.

Like it makes me wonder sometimes because you have Lauries outfits from two separate movies represented, yet those aren't sets? Why are we able to mix and match Laurie's outfits? Back then, y'all had a different mentality towards cosmetics, and you didn't link every cosmetic you added for licensed characters.

Once again, this makes sense for legendary cosmetics, as there is no reasonable way to put Sheva's head on Jill's STARS outfit for instance, but why am I stuck not being able to mix and match Jill's outfits? Like wearing a Christmas sweater over her STARS uniform?


This just prevents me from wanting to buy sets, because a lot of the time I know the mixing and matching I want to do, I just can't do. I'd be fully willing to buy it as a set for full price, even though I might just use one piece of the set even. You'd lose 0 money from unlinking sets in terms of equipping them, while keeping them linked for purchase. In fact you could only gain more money from this. The people who weren't gonna buy it in the first place are still not gonna buy it if you unlink them. The people who were gonna buy them anyway are obviously still gonna buy them. The people who are on the fence about buying them will now buy them because they can mix and match them.


Like, it's entirely understandable that you'd have to buy the entire pack for a "set", while equipping them piece by piece. They do this in other games and DLC. I don't understand why it's not offered here though. Clearly a lot of the community wants it, too, considering how often I see this complaint on twitter and whatnot. I just don't get why it hasn't been changed yet because there is no negative side to unlinking sets, other than maybe people complaining that they are linked in the store still (but people are complaining they're linked in the first place, so if anything you'd just have less people complaining than before).


Anyway, this is just a thought I've had for a while. It sucks that I even have to complain about this but I always thought DBD was so cool for the ability it gave players to express themselves with the cosmetics by mixing and matching them. It is so weird that it very clearly supports that while also limits it on the same point. Why would you purposely limit creativity? Once again, I get it for monetary reasons, of course you're gonna wanna sell the sets as one, but you can still do that. Just please let us mix and match the pieces after we've bought the set.

Comments

  • Linked outfits were only introduced later on so it makes sense that older cosmetics weren’t linked (eg Laurie’s Outfits you have mentioned)

    in case of licenses - it’s not only up to BHVR but also the license holders if these cosmetics can be split or not. And they apparently have decided to make them linked despite the feedback - especially as the second chapter of RE introduced even new linked cosmetics I wouldn’t hold my breath for them ever changing them for this license.


    for original sets, they have stated they want to revisit every original set and see if they can be split in 3 individual pieces or even 2 linked pieces plus one individual piece. We don’t know when they will start with this though…


    By all means, sell the set as one and don't allow people to buy individual pieces of the set in the store (that's why they're a set)

    you just assume that’s the reason. And it’s very likely it’s part of the reason. But there might be more to it.

    but I would even assume that linked sets actually sell less and monetary gain can’t be the only reason to have them linked.

  • @Mooks said:

    Linked outfits were only introduced later on so it makes sense that older cosmetics weren’t linked (eg Laurie’s Outfits you have mentioned)

    in case of licenses - it’s not only up to BHVR but also the license holders if these cosmetics can be split or not. And they apparently have decided to make them linked despite the feedback - especially as the second chapter of RE introduced even new linked cosmetics I wouldn’t hold my breath for them ever changing them for this license.

    for original sets, they have stated they want to revisit every original set and see if they can be split in 3 individual pieces or even 2 linked pieces plus one individual piece. We don’t know when they will start with this though…

    By all means, sell the set as one and don't allow people to buy individual pieces of the set in the store (that's why they're a set)

    you just assume that’s the reason. And it’s very likely it’s part of the reason. But there might be more to it.

    but I would even assume that linked sets actually sell less and monetary gain can’t be the only reason to have them linked.

    I entirely agree that it's an assumption, i by no means to make it sound like that was the only reason possible. Just that, if that was the reason, it would actually be more beneficial to split them up. Btw, I am aware that sets were introduced later on so of course that's why Laurie's outfits aren't linked. My point is that I don't get why they introduced sets in the first place. If the Halloween chapter came out today, I'm 99% sure Laurie's outfits would be linked.

  • @TheLegendOfLame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3188936#Comment_3188936

    I entirely agree that it's an assumption, i by no means to make it sound like that was the only reason possible. Just that, if that was the reason, it would actually be more beneficial to split them up. Btw, I am aware that sets were introduced later on so of course that's why Laurie's outfits aren't linked. My point is that I don't get why they introduced sets in the first place. If the Halloween chapter came out today, I'm 99% sure Laurie's outfits would be linked.

    They were introduced so that cosmetics were possible that weren’t in line with the seams of the default outfit. Eg some of Neas hoodies tied to the body piece wouldn’t be possible without them being linked to a head cosmetic to avoid extreme clipping issues with other head cosmetics.

    i think licenses kinda ‚abused‘ this to portray their characters in a certain way without mix and matching being possible.. (I am not a fan of these myself and haven’t bought any linked cosmetics except for Carlos as a legendary character)

  • @Mooks said:

    Linked outfits were only introduced later on so it makes sense that older cosmetics weren’t linked (eg Laurie’s Outfits you have mentioned)

    in case of licenses - it’s not only up to BHVR but also the license holders if these cosmetics can be split or not. And they apparently have decided to make them linked despite the feedback - especially as the second chapter of RE introduced even new linked cosmetics I wouldn’t hold my breath for them ever changing them for this license.

    for original sets, they have stated they want to revisit every original set and see if they can be split in 3 individual pieces or even 2 linked pieces plus one individual piece. We don’t know when they will start with this though…

    By all means, sell the set as one and don't allow people to buy individual pieces of the set in the store (that's why they're a set)

    you just assume that’s the reason. And it’s very likely it’s part of the reason. But there might be more to it.

    but I would even assume that linked sets actually sell less and monetary gain can’t be the only reason to have them linked.

    for original sets, they have stated they want to revisit every original set and see if they can be split in 3 individual pieces or even 2 linked pieces plus one individual piece. We don’t know when they will start with this though…

    I'm sorry, but when did they say that? I thought it's only a community suggestion that wasn't yet answered to.

  • @Milo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3188936#Comment_3188936

    for original sets, they have stated they want to revisit every original set and see if they can be split in 3 individual pieces or even 2 linked pieces plus one individual piece. We don’t know when they will start with this though…

    I'm sorry, but when did they say that? I thought it's only a community suggestion that wasn't yet answered to.

    Don’t be sorry, i would request a source for such a statement as well.

    though.. it was an endeavor to find this, looked through their twitter posts and dev updates etc until I somehow came across some Q&A stream (forgot those even existed) and had to look through GoodBoyKarus summaries until finally found it:

    "Can you make linked outfits more flexible?"

    As soon as the QnA was announced this was asked practically immidiately lol.

    The team is looking into making non-licensed sets more accessible to mix + match, such as killer weapons or survivor heads. Sets exist to help minimise clipping, however these pieces they're looking into usually don't clip. This will be done on a case-by-case basis.


    Summary Thread: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/285995/holy-the-devs-did-a-dev-stream-again-and-i-watched-it-again-so-you-dont-have-to-again

    Video of the stream for official wording (though I didn’t watch it now):

    https://youtu.be/Pz7f_WPutq8


  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3189003#Comment_3189003

    Don’t be sorry, i would request a source for such a statement as well.

    though.. it was an endeavor to find this, looked through their twitter posts and dev updates etc until I somehow came across some Q&A stream (forgot those even existed) and had to look through GoodBoyKarus summaries until finally found it:

    "Can you make linked outfits more flexible?"

    As soon as the QnA was announced this was asked practically immidiately lol.

    The team is looking into making non-licensed sets more accessible to mix + match, such as killer weapons or survivor heads. Sets exist to help minimise clipping, however these pieces they're looking into usually don't clip. This will be done on a case-by-case basis.

    Summary Thread: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/285995/holy-the-devs-did-a-dev-stream-again-and-i-watched-it-again-so-you-dont-have-to-again

    Video of the stream for official wording (though I didn’t watch it now):

    https://youtu.be/Pz7f_WPutq8

    Big thanks. Must've missed it when I watched it 😅