Is Behavior considering moving Dead by Daylight from the Steam Store to the Epic Games Store?



For the uninformed, Epic Games has recently launched a new storefront with a much better revenue split for developers than Steam



Steam Store's Revenue Split:

70% for Devs and 30% for Steam

Epic Games Store's Revenue Split:

88% for Devs and 12% for Epic Games

Additionally, since Dead by Daylight uses the Unreal Engine, Behavior pays a 5% royalty for it, however with the Epic Games Store, this would be covered in the 12% for Epic Games.



Making the actual Revenue Split when on Steam:

65% for Behavior, 30% for Steam, and 5% for Unreal Engine when on the Steam Store

As opposed to when on Epic Games:

88% for Behavior and 12% for Epic Games when on the Epic Games Store



While there are obvious pros and cons for switching storefronts, it seems like there is great incentive to move onto the Epic Games Store.

Moving would result in a 23% increase in retained revenue, so despite a possible decrease in total units sold, it could alleviate the difference.

Furthermore current and future DLCs with Dead by Daylight's already established player base would produce much more revenue for Behavior.



Comments

  • It would likely depend on how much the Epic Games launcher gains in user-base. Because right now, even with Fortnite, Steam likely just rolls over any and all other methods of advertisement. Out of all my launchers that I have for my various games (Epic Games, Origins, Blizzard, etc), Steam is likely my most visited launcher by at least 10x all of my other launchers combined.

  • Lol. Steam is too popular to be ditched.

    Possible they would also make the game availabe on Epic store though.
  • F0ck no. First let them make Fortnite on STEAM and then let's see if they move dbd. I think Fortnite should be on steam anyways since when I try to message my friends, they don't see it and I lag a ridiculous amount on it and they won't hold back cause they don't see my message. If it was on Steam, I'd be able to message them and they'd hold back. I very sad from gaming experience pls nerf lag on Fortnite.

  • Yes I am very salty from that game. I had a Nurse game right after that and dominated a team on preschool. It was 3-4 mins for the match to end and last guy got hatch (2 people did gens while 2 were on hook that was an impressive train of thought from the 2 that did gens, smart move.)

  • Lol. Steam is too popular to be ditched.

    Possible they would also make the game availabe on Epic store though.
    It’ll more than likely come to the store regardless.

    However even with Steam’s popularity, the potential profit margin for the Epic Games Store is very enticing.
  • DbD has Bill as a Steam exclusive. Putting out DbD on the Epic Games store would mean, that that version won't have him like consoles, I think. And it's very dangerous trying to move your current established playerbase towards a new store, if even possible.
    Maybe Behavior might consider an additional release for other stores as well. But complete switch would be a NoGo. Like said, you can't switch from one day to another without considering you userbase. DbD on Steam is fine as it is.
    Yes, they get less revenue share, but Steam also allows developers to generate keys to sell elsewhere at no cut to Steam IIRC. What people sometimes forget, that it's not just the revenue share, that a store offers. They also offer a certain service and features. And I think Steam is fine and doing well for Behaviour.

  • Why would they? Without crossplay, DbD won't have a player-base on Epic Store.

  • The most important question:

    Can you leave salty comments on a "Epic Game Profile"?

    If no, then no to Epic Games, simple. Would reduce the playerbase by roughly 80%.

  • I like it tbh but work out 2 sperate ways around it let epic be connected to dbd as extra income so we can improve the game faster and as it's using unreal tech maby they can get help from epic game devs at a reduced price to the amount they earn so say 88 to 66
  • Leaving steam would probably the best way to kill the PC community.

  • PiiFree said:

    The most important question:

    Can you leave salty comments on a "Epic Game Profile"?

    If no, then no to Epic Games, simple. Would reduce the playerbase by roughly 80%.

    Can you leave salty comments on a Steam profile? 

    No, because if you’re smart, you set your comments to “friends only” 👍🏻
  • So how much did Epic Games Store pay you?

  • @Neska said:
    Can you leave salty comments on a Steam profile? 

    No, because if you’re smart, you set your comments to “friends only” 👍🏻

    Did you just indirectly call me stupid? I'm not just offended by that, I'm seriously triggered. I'll facecamp the next 3 Survivors because of you, hope you're happy now with that passive aggressive behaviour!

  • If I had to buy the game again then ######### no, even them Steam is widely used so if anything I think DBD would have less of a new player influx
  • Orion said:

    So how much did Epic Games Store pay you?

    Nothing. I play on Xbox, but this interested me so I wanted to talk about it.
  • @ModernFable said:
    Nothing. I play on Xbox, but this interested me so I wanted to talk about it.

    You sure? Because your OP reads exactly like an advertisement by a mouthpiece/puppet.

  • Orion said:

    @ModernFable said:
    Nothing. I play on Xbox, but this interested me so I wanted to talk about it.

    You sure? Because your OP reads exactly like an advertisement by a mouthpiece/puppet.

    Yes I’m quite sure and there’s no need for insults.

    The store releases a few days ago and Steam hasn’t had an actual competitor in the last 15 years.

    Not to say Epic Games will be an actual one, but I found them more promising than Origins or Uplay because they’re attracting developers with more than a subpar service: more money.

    I play mostly on console, but I’ve always kept up with the PC scene in one way or another. And the idea of making Valve better their own service by introducing a better competitor, intrigues me to say the least.
  • Mr_Myers said:
    If I had to buy the game again then [BAD WORD] no, even them Steam is widely used so if anything I think DBD would have less of a new player influx
    Assuming it would be delisted in the same way other games have been on Steam, then no you wouldn't have to buy it again.

    You’d always own the game, as well as have the option to download it if you uninstall it at any point.
  • It would likely depend on how much the Epic Games launcher gains in user-base. Because right now, even with Fortnite, Steam likely just rolls over any and all other methods of advertisement. Out of all my launchers that I have for my various games (Epic Games, Origins, Blizzard, etc), Steam is likely my most visited launcher by at least 10x all of my other launchers combined.

    Yeah, I doubt Epic Games will be overtaking Steam in any meaningful way for a while.

    However, I would also say it holds a lot more potential than other stores.

    Given a few years to properly develop, I think the store will at least force Steam to improve their policies in some way.