Idea to Improve Game Community/Toxicity
Lots of ideas out there, and lots of criticism, so I'll start with a caveat: I don't think my idea is the only one. It has good and bad to it, but I think the good can outweigh the bad due to the nature of this game and how each side views it. So, without further ado;
Pre-Game chat:
There is currently a means for which survivors can chat with each other. I believe that should stay separate from what I'm proposing. It allows solo players to strategize and discuss the upcoming match.
A separate pre-game chat window where the killer can communicate with the players. Like endgame chat, the killer can close it.
2A. Why? Part of the toxicity in this game is the total division of survivor and killer. In the beginning, it is what added to the terror/mystique of the killer/horror genre. As the game went on, that mystique wore off. Now, there is little to no mystique to it, unless you get a really good killer - jump scare Shape comes to mind. Now, the silence only serves to wonder if you are dealing with a toxic group of survivors, or a camping/tunneling killer who is going to repeatedly bob his head when he hooks you. The silence before the match serves no purpose.
2B. How will pre-game chat help? It adds a human/player element back into the game. For the majority of players, I think it defuses that frustration a little bit. Example: New Match making - all 4 load in. (Killer) - Welcome to my parlor victi….survivors. (Player1) Great, we got a role player on our hands. (Player2) Better than some prick talking smack. (Killer) Well guys, I'm somewhat new, so hope this match does not suck. Hope you all have fun...while dying on hooks. (Player2) Not me! Hook the others! (Player3) All good, we all start somewhere. Good luck killer...in catching the others. (Player4) Baby killer gonna be EZ!
If players can see who the killer is, they can check profiles, or leave before the match starts! Yes and no. They would need to search the killer's name instead of being able to click it. Killers can already do that with survivors and get an idea of who they are before the match (barring private profiles). That said, it adds an element of reputation in as well. Right now, survivors who I've faced that I know are very toxic after the game, I tend to leave in the lobby. Or as a killer, if facing an SWF I know is going to nothing but try to screw with the killer due to previous matches (I have a list), I'm leaving lobby. Why not the same for the killer. If I'm known for face camping and they see my name in pre-game chat, they can either plan on it, or leave. Either way, less toxicity for both players.
This could even bring up new game modes for killers/survivors. Killer says in pregame chat - "You guys have 2 minutes to do whatever you want, then I'm coming after you." Or Survivor/killers agree to a modified game of "hide and seek". Or the killer tells them all that he is going to try to down them all before the 3rd gen is done. He refuses to hook anyone until then. Players agree, and a new game mode is started. You get the idea.
Look, I know it opens up another can of worms.
What if players and killers plot together and farm? Well, how is that different than me downing a survivor, bringing them to a gen, and smacking the gen before putting them down? Pretty clear sign of farming. If they want to play along, they do. No impact there.
What if one or two survivors make a pact before game with the killer to work together? How is that any different from the bannable offense it is right now? Except, you have screenshots and potentially recordings to prove it.
What if players/killer is really toxic before the match? What about bullying? How is that any different than after match? Give everyone the option to close the box. Problem solved.
I admit this is not perfect, but I think it would go a long way to creating some level of civility, improving game enjoyment, and maybe even forcing some toxic players to show some level of civility or face people leaving their games more often.
Thoughts?
Comments
So now when I play him again he’s going to get the good face camp. It’s like the old Elvis song In the Ghetto but instead of minorities struggling to live in racial oppression it’s just dickhead survivors being toxic over and over.
What you are proposing will lead to farming. I say just get rid of the chat altogether or allow it to be disabled once and done even if the game is restarted.
Farming already occurs on a regular basis. I see it all the time
Your idea would make it way more common. I see it rarely as a survivor and it certainly occurs rarely when I am playing the killer.
Lets be honest, if people want to farm to have fun, they will. Eventually, they will get bored. Farming willingly is not against the rules. It is just as "legit" as camping. If that is how people choose to have fun, then so be it. You enter a lobby with a killer you know always tries to farm, you leave. EDIT: That is what makes pregame chat helpful.
The other more sinister side of this is pre-game taunting that would likely occur. I get what you are trying to accomplish but the real problem is the fact the chat exists at all. It is the main way players try to hurt each other either to gloat or complain about their loss.
That is why I said to give the option to close it, just like the killer can on end game chat. Or, if you don't want to play with that kind of player, leave the match before it starts. Either way, it improves the quality of gameplay for people, or has no affect at all.