How to fix camping - a hopefully constructive idea

I get it that camping is a strategy, but seriously: since when is ruining the gaming experience of another player a strategy? You can't say that camping at 5 or 4 gens is necessary. Not with the current buffs to killer. And especially not on high tier killers like Nurse or Blight. It is enough that killers just count to 5 and hit you just to follow you regardless of what others do, but this is not the point here.

The point is, that gens take 10s longer in general, and some perks like Thana add a ton of time on some killers which makes it really hard to just "do gens to punish the killer for camping". And not all "team mates" understand that occupying the killer at your hook gives your team a small chance.

What I propose is this (not necessarily all together):

For better understanding I define "camping" as an action where 10s after the survivor is hooked, the killer stays within 16m of said hook and no other survivor is present. This is already the in-game definition of camping via the emblem system. All the changes are deactivated once the exit gates are OPEN (*).

1. Killers who are inside of 16m of a hooked survivor (horizontally AND vertically), can't use their power. This is already implemented for killers like Artist, Dredge, Twins and Pyramid Head (to an extend). This means: No insidious basement Bubba who can just chainsaw everyone, no Huntress/Trickster standing and aiming right next to you etc. Sure ranged killers can still try to hit you from a distance but at 16m you have a good chance to dodge an axe. This means that Trapper/Hag need to place traps before they hook or have to live with the fact that they can't just put survivors into a box (especially basement now that DH can't pass traps anymore).

2. If the killer is still within the 16m radius around a hooked survivor and NO other survivor is present, the hook progression is stopped (*). After any other survivor left the area, the killer has 10s to leave until the hook progression is stopped again. This means that if you prevent an unhook the survivor needs to either unhook in your face or needs to leave so that another survivor can rescue which also creates a lot of pressure. This also means that you can't just camp for the 2nd hook state without someone else being there.

3. The other Survivors should get some kind of notification or short aura of the killer when he camps. Like a little Kindred, so that others now when to stay on gens.

4. repair/healing/cleansing/blessing speed is 10% faster when someone is being camped.

[Edit:

5. Give the camped person more BP and Emblem progress, so that you are not so punished. Maybe don't make a person who gets camped from 1. hook to death not depip.]


(*) Necessary adjustments:

Kinship: rework.

DS/OTR: Get deactivated one the exit OPENS. So even if you are unhooked before any exit is open, once one IS open, any DS or OTR timer you still had, is gone. - > it needs a good amount of communication to still get a "free" escape with these perks without leaving you totally defenseless in the endgame.

Exit gate: Loses progress when not being touched at at least half the rate it opens. This means that 99ing the exit will be more difficult and therefore the Survivors need to think about whether it will be better to just open it (risking bloodwarden and camping/tunneling) or to leave it as close to 99 as it gets.


This was a long post: Here is your potato🥔.

Comments

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Your about to be absolutely attacked by every fragile killer main in the forum any time now, as you've just insulted the only way they can indulge in their inflated power fantasies of ruining the game for other people lol just be prepared.

    Im so incredibly disappointed by the complete crickets from the dev team that I can't even enjoy killer matches with the game in this state.

    I will not be putting a single cent into this game until the devs acknowledge the problem. Why would I pay more money into a game I barely get to play?

    I am prepared. No worries, but thanks for the warning. I may be a Survivor main nowadays, but I still play my share of killer matches (archive and dailys mostly) and since I play almost every day for a few hours, I play "a lot" compared to the majority. I have 5k hrs since 09/18, so I suffered in many occasions on both sides.

    I can totally understand you not supporting a game which goes in the wrong direction. I love the game too much to quit though (like a love-hate relationship). I hope they will adress the issue soon and not in a year or so.

  • BHVR: "we disabled DS during endgame because there's nothing the killer can do".

    Meanwhile, a survivor being camped in the basement: "........."

    1) I agree that killers should NOT be able to use their powers when near the hooked survivor

    2) Insidious should get reworked or removed, people mostly use it to insidiously camp

    3) Hook grabs should GO! Killers should NOT be able to grab survivors who are attempting an unhook. This just strengthens camping.

  • @Alen_Starkly said:

    BHVR: "we disabled DS during endgame because there's nothing the killer can do".

    Meanwhile, a survivor being camped in the basement: "........."

    1) I agree that killers should NOT be able to use their powers when near the hooked survivor

    2) Insidious should get reworked or removed, people mostly use it to insidiously camp

    3) Hook grabs should GO! Killers should NOT be able to grab survivors who are attempting an unhook. This just strengthens camping.

    BHVR: Survivors on the hook can a) buy time for their team or b) try to 4% and c) decide to play another match by letting themselves die on the hook.

    Me: At least I can go to the toilet or make a tea.

    Seriously, sometimes I think the Devs don't think that far. (hint: combined Gen speed reduction that gets worse than being in Old Freddy's dream world; nerfing DS to 3s despite it being buffed to 5s because high speed killers could catch up too easily etc)


    I don't know about hook grabs though. They should be possible, but they happen too frequently for my taste. I often get grabbed if I only tap the unhook key. It used to be about half way through the animation.

  • @LapisInfernalis said:

    I get it that camping is a strategy, but seriously: since when is ruining the gaming experience of another player a strategy? You can't say that camping at 5 or 4 gens is necessary. Not with the current buffs to killer. And especially not on high tier killers like Nurse or Blight. It is enough that killers just count to 5 and hit you just to follow you regardless of what others do, but this is not the point here.

    The point is, that gens take 10s longer in general, and some perks like Thana add a ton of time on some killers which makes it really hard to just "do gens to punish the killer for camping". And not all "team mates" understand that occupying the killer at your hook gives your team a small chance.

    What I propose is this (not necessarily all together):

    For better understanding I define "camping" as an action where 10s after the survivor is hooked, the killer stays within 16m of said hook and no other survivor is present. This is already the in-game definition of camping via the emblem system. All the changes are deactivated once the exit gates are OPEN (*).

    1. Killers who are inside of 16m of a hooked survivor (horizontally AND vertically), can't use their power. This is already implemented for killers like Artist, Dredge, Twins and Pyramid Head (to an extend). This means: No insidious basement Bubba who can just chainsaw everyone, no Huntress/Trickster standing and aiming right next to you etc. Sure ranged killers can still try to hit you from a distance but at 16m you have a good chance to dodge an axe. This means that Trapper/Hag need to place traps before they hook or have to live with the fact that they can't just put survivors into a box (especially basement now that DH can't pass traps anymore).

    2. If the killer is still within the 16m radius around a hooked survivor and NO other survivor is present, the hook progression is stopped (*). After any other survivor left the area, the killer has 10s to leave until the hook progression is stopped again. This means that if you prevent an unhook the survivor needs to either unhook in your face or needs to leave so that another survivor can rescue which also creates a lot of pressure. This also means that you can't just camp for the 2nd hook state without someone else being there.

    3. The other Survivors should get some kind of notification or short aura of the killer when he camps. Like a little Kindred, so that others now when to stay on gens.

    4. repair/healing/cleansing/blessing speed is 10% faster when someone is being camped.

    [Edit:

    5. Give the camped person more BP and Emblem progress, so that you are not so punished. Maybe don't make a person who gets camped from 1. hook to death not depip.]

    (*) Necessary adjustments:

    Kinship: rework.

    DS/OTR: Get deactivated one the exit OPENS. So even if you are unhooked before any exit is open, once one IS open, any DS or OTR timer you still had, is gone. - > it needs a good amount of communication to still get a "free" escape with these perks without leaving you totally defenseless in the endgame.

    Exit gate: Loses progress when not being touched at at least half the rate it opens. This means that 99ing the exit will be more difficult and therefore the Survivors need to think about whether it will be better to just open it (risking bloodwarden and camping/tunneling) or to leave it as close to 99 as it gets.

    This was a long post: Here is your potato🥔.

    1. This has many issues that are far to open to abuse, and some hurt the idea of not camping. Some examples being, running into the hook zone to avoid one shot powers, preventing high mobility killers from being able to leave the area quickly, stopping teleporting killers from teleporting away.

    2. This only really works if the area around a hook is a complete deadzone and there is nothing for the killer to interact with, that means no pallets, gens, lockers, or totems, which on some maps is a logistical nightmare (The Game). You shouldnt be punished for kicking gens, reloading, snuffing boons or breaking pallets.

    3. No issue here i support a reduced basekit kindred.

    4. Sure but in exchange those actions are debuffed 10% if the killer isn't camping. This just futher incentivizes not camping.

    5. Again I'm in gavor of this one but i also think it should apply while you are chased, getting a cut of objective/altruism while you are occupying the killers attention is more than fair.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3100633#Comment_3100633

    1) I don’t have an issue with killers being able to use their powers near a hook. Except for Bubba. Near a hook he should only be able to down one survivor, just like Billy.

    2) No issue with this. I agree, who uses it besides camping or playing a basement defender meme anyway.

    3) I just don’t agree with hook grabs being removed. I think if they address camping in other ways there is no need to remove this.

    Personally, I have more issues with tunneling and would like to see that addressed.

    I'm just throwing this out there sometimes i run it on twins near a gen and then make a move cause they think im controlling victor and smash them when they try to stop regression. Its actually pretty fun.

  • @kingcarl2012 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/337938/how-to-fix-camping-a-hopefully-constructive-idea

    1. This has many issues that are far to open to abuse, and some hurt the idea of not camping. Some examples being, running into the hook zone to avoid one shot powers, preventing high mobility killers from being able to leave the area quickly, stopping teleporting killers from teleporting away.

    2. This only really works if the area around a hook is a complete deadzone and there is nothing for the killer to interact with, that means no pallets, gens, lockers, or totems, which on some maps is a logistical nightmare (The Game). You shouldnt be punished for kicking gens, reloading, snuffing boons or breaking pallets.

    3. No issue here i support a reduced basekit kindred.

    4. Sure but in exchange those actions are debuffed 10% if the killer isn't camping. This just futher incentivizes not camping.

    5. Again I'm in gavor of this one but i also think it should apply while you are chased, getting a cut of objective/altruism while you are occupying the killers attention is more than fair.

    1. Maybe I didn't make myself clear since English is not my first language. I meant that only if the killer alone stays in the "camping radius" their power is deactivated. If a survivor enters the area or for the first 10s after the hook, they can use it. So Nurse can just do her thing and leave after 2s. An idea would be to give killers a speedboost similar to Devour so they can leave faster and cross maps better.

    2. Maybe 10s are too short. Maybe 20s are better. I just used what the game already has since it is less work to add something to an existing feature than to create something completely new.

    4. The gens are slow enough as they are. Especially with all the debuff or regression meta. There is nothing more boring than pressing M1 on a Gen at 50% speed (hello Freddy my old friend......) or leaving a Gen "for a sec" only to find it empty when you return.... If that is toned down, we could talk about this.

    5. It is already implemented for the lightbringer emblem when you are chased, so adding altruism to that would be neat. Also a BP bonus when gens are completed would be cool.