Freddy Rework suggestion

I know you probably get it all the time, and have already reworked Freddy but to be fair, Freddy ######### sucks and needs to be reworked. I never had the joy (or pain? I don't know) to play him in his first iteration but for the life of me I can't understand why what we have now is what came out of it. So here goes. My suggestion for a Freddy rework.

So, Freddy is completely invisible to awake survivors, who start the trial awake. Freddy doesn't have a terror radius to survivors who are awake, he does have his lullaby though. The lullaby is very directional, survivors should be able to avoid Freddy even though he is invisible with how directional the lullaby is. Freddy cannot hurt or damage the Survivors in anyway while the survivors are awake.

Freddy can pull Survivors into the dream world, and it should work like Myer's stalk ability. If he can see them, he can pull them. Freddy should have to stop moving entirely, or almost entirely to pull survivors in.

Now concerns about landing insta hits after pulling them in. I think pulling them in from a distance is the best way to circumvent that, but 99% the counter and then getting close will obviously become a tactic and the counter I suggest for this is the highly localized lullaby. Freddy shouldn't be able to pull survivors in when he's close, they should actively be avoiding the lullaby otherwise he could get the easy hit. If survivors are doing a good enough job, he will have to pull them in to engage in chase with the intent of injuring them.

Anyways, once they are pulled into the dream world, Freddy manifests and they can see him and he gets a terror radius. During this time it becomes just a basic chase. The getting pulled into the nightmare, should initiate a chase. The survivor should maybe even give off a second of killer instinct to help the Freddy player get on them immediately.

Now Freddy's "power" should be a short teleport like Nurse, but very short, Ala Pyramidhead's ranged attack. It should also be dependent on line of sight, if the survivor has eyes on Freddy, maybe such as Ghostfaces reveal mechanic, he can't teleport. If they can see the destination area, he can't teleport. This power is used to come from unexpected angles and areas the survivor see. So you round a corner, and boom Freddy is right in front of you.

Here's where it gets really hairy though. Once Freddy has pulled you in, and you are engaged in a chase with him, the objective should pretty much explicitly be to escape the chase, and you do this by waking up. Once you are awake, you get a short respite from being pulled in again. Now, you can wake up via 2 ways. You can make it to the alarm clock that spawns across the map and wake yourself up, or you can get woken up by a team mate. Now I'm not certain how this would work but it sounds cool in my head, whereas the survivors running around with their heads bobbing around isn't cool at all, I think we should do something like the survivor leaves behind a "husk" Ala Spirit, and begin running around, invisible to awake survivors. The awake survivors can attempt to run to their "body" (husk) and wake them up, "snapping" the survivor back to their body and continuing from there. If the survivor wakes themselves up via the alarm clock, the husk disappears and they arrive in the waking world where they woke themselves up.

Bonus points if you can reskin the environment into pipes and bricks, like Freddy's boiler room nightmare. Darken the skybox completely, as if a gaping void is above you, and maybe add a hint of The Dredges Darkness Falls effect.

Comments

  • Your idea of Freddy needing to pull survivors in the dream was his original concept. And it was changed because Freddy couldn't defend anything: no hooks, no totems, no gens.....

    So: no. Not again. I agree on him being boring though.

    The teleport is too restricted, since survivors could basically spin their cam quickly to prevent your teleport.

    The wake up machanic sounds interesting, but the thought of another player being able to teleport you across the map because they found your hust sounds complicated to say the least (unless I misunderstood how it works). It could be abused by swf and trolls alike. If it doesn't teleport you it sounds fine though. You should be able to see other people's husk though.

    @LapisInfernalis said:

    Dear people of the Fog,

    I have been playing Freddy for a long time now. I already knew him, well before he got his rework. I surely hadn't "mastered" him back then, since I was a newish player. But I tried my best and came to like him. I loved the aura reading outside of the TR and that he was completely invisible to people outside of the dream. I understand that complete invisibility would be a bit too harsh, especially for new players, but being able to see Freddy (every couple of seconds) from as far as 32m is too much for my taste. Why? because Freddy comes without you knowing to trap you in his world. There is an add-on (Pill Bottle), which shortens the distance a bit, but does affect neither the TR nor the lullaby, which requires M&A to be used as well. Generally this is a nice idea, but it's just not "worth" it, compared to other add-ons. This is one example for many of his add-ons, which are just status effects or niche effects that are not worth their rarity (most of his very rares and Black Box) or generally too limited to be useful.

    This is my attempt to make Freddy's add-ons more divers and more useful in general while reimplementing a lot of the "Old Freddy" I used to love in the old days. I want to make Freddy a bit more interesting to play as and against again, as well as to bring back one of the more meme-ish but fun builds that was called "Ninja Freddy" or "Silent Freddy".

    Please remember, that this is just me brainstorming and probably won't be quite as balanced as it should be. I will do my very best though.

    DREAM DEMON:

    Outside the Dream World:

    • Freddy is only fully visible when he's within 8m and intermittenly between 8m and his TR (24m). Frequency and duration depend upon the distance. The closer Freddy is, the more you can see him (similar to Wraith). Outside of 24m Freddy is "undetectable". This does implicate the status effect of the same name, but old Freddy could NOT be detected with any aura reading outside of the dream world. This would reimplement some of his stealth abilities without being too powerful.
    • Freddy's TR is set to 24m.
    • Game mechanics about micro sleep and clocks remain the same.
    • His visibility changes with his TR, but cannot be lower than 12m to give survivors a chance to react. So M&A or Furtive Chase make im less visible, but perks like Tinkerer will not make him invisible. They will just set the maximum distance to 12m for the duration. (This could be too strong.)

    Inside of the Dream World:

    • The lullaby's radius is set to 24m.

    Snares/Pallets:

    • Freddy can use both simultaneously. By tapping the Active Ability button (CTRL), switch beween Snares and Pallets (similar to Clown). To be more versitile, both are counted seperately. Freddy can set 5 Snares and 5 Pallets before they get recycled. Since Pallets are the weaker type of power (need empty spots which are rare on many newer maps/reworked maps and are less usefull in the end game) and need to be set up before a chase, I think it would be ok to have 2 seperate counters for Pallets and Snares. This also opens up an Add-on set for new stuff.

    Teleport:

    • Stays the same.

    ADD-ONS:

    • "Block"-Family: Reduces the Micro-Sleep-timer by 5/10/15/15s + the "Wake-up action" is 12s (or whatever the maximum was) by default. This creates a dilemma for the survivors: Do i still go to the watch? Do I get waken up by a mate, do I purposely fail a skillcheck or do I not care? Here I used the idea of the old blocks, which made the Dream Transition shorter.
    • "Drawings"-Family: Is totally fine. Kid's Drawing should be 1% reduction per sleeping survivor instead of a meme add-on though.
    • "Dress"-Family: Interacting with a Snare or Pallet causes Incapacitated/Mangled/Exhaustion for 15s/until healed/5s. These status effects are way more useful.
    • "Claw"-Family: Increases movement speed after teleporting for 15/20/25s by 5%. Inspired by the old claws.
    • "Rope"-Family: Makes the Survivors question reality. Creates Freddy illusions (f.e. Freddy standing, fake lullaby/TR, Freddy walking, fake teleportation effect, the metallic scratching of Freddy's glove) randomly during the Micro-Sleep Phase for 1/3/5s. The illusion's auras are visible to the killer. (similar to Doctor)
    • Pill Bottle: Teleporting makes no sound and generators don't splash blood. The blood pool where Freddy comes out remains.
    • Class Photo: After teleporting, the Aura of survivors is shown for 4s if outside of 24m. Inspired by the old Class Photo and Freddy's old Aura reading.
    • Red Paintbrush: All Survivors start in the Dream World. Only Alarm Clocks can wake them up. The huge time waster or buff for the killer.
    • Black Box: Reduces Terror Radius and Lullaby radius by 12m. Reduces maximum visibility to 12m. See sleeping Survivors' auras in up to 12m around you. Reduces movement speed to 110%. Keeping Freddy 115% while he is literally invisible outside of his TR would be hell....

    I hope you like this.

    Stay healthy.

    Edit: Forgot the aura reading for black box.

    This is an idea I had half a year ago. Some stuff is not up-to date anymore or was used for another killer (Sadakō) but it should be more interesting as well.

  • @LapisInfernalis said:

    Your idea of Freddy needing to pull survivors in the dream was his original concept. And it was changed because Freddy couldn't defend anything: no hooks, no totems, no gens.....

    So: no. Not again. I agree on him being boring though.

    The teleport is too restricted, since survivors could basically spin their cam quickly to prevent your teleport.

    The wake up machanic sounds interesting, but the thought of another player being able to teleport you across the map because they found your hust sounds complicated to say the least (unless I misunderstood how it works). It could be abused by swf and trolls alike. If it doesn't teleport you it sounds fine though. You should be able to see other people's husk though.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/304695/brainstorm-on-how-to-make-freddys-add-ons-better-and-more-divers-a-small-rework-included

    This is an idea I had half a year ago. Some stuff is not up-to date anymore or was used for another killer (Sadakō) but it should be more interesting as well.

    Yea there are definitely questionable things about my recommendation, and the inability to stop survivors from doing things is definitely something I hadn't considered.

  • I think one buff to Freddy should be to let him teleport to already completed generators, and reduce his teleportation cooldown somewhat to like 30-35-40 seconds or so rather than 45 base which is way longer than the Dredge's 12 or so seconds. I'd also just make the Dream Pallets and Dream Snares both work at the same time, rather than needing both. Maybe also add Dream Window Blockers so Freddy can close off some window vaults if they're asleep (probably would need to be limited to like 1 window at a time or something).