IMO, the biggest problem is under what condition you can rise or fall in MMR: kills or escapes

Maybe this is only a naive thinking of mine, but I truly believe one of the main problems is how wins and losses are defined in this game. I am, or was, a survivor main (did only play a few games after the anniversary, probably will play again when the Halloween event is here), and although it really frustrated me or my teammate being tunneled out of the game at 5 gens or being camped, I actually do understand killers are doing it. I also understand why survivors would gen rush the sxit out of generators.

I really don't understand why the devs are unable to take the WHOLE match into consideration whether a killer or survivor is reaching a higher MMR or not. Every side should make a bit of EVERYTHING this game has to offer. Kills or escapes alone really shouldn't dictate a characters MMR level. Like... I don't know, maybe ones overall performance should get a rank/final emblem at the end too, not only the four emblems we know so far. Some kind of "Average Emblem". And depending on this final emblem one rises in MMR or stays or falls.

I can imagine this would help a lot taking the pressure of killing and escaping and help avoiding tunneling and gen rushing...? Sure, there would always be party poopers, but... maybe it would help a little bit for both sides to take this game less seriously and enjoy it more instead of thinking "I NEED THE 4K" "I NEED TO ESCAPE NO MATTER WHAT"?

Like I said, maybe I am too naive in thinking that way... I just really want a solution for BOTH sides, cause I actually really love this game. I know there is no ultimate solution, but there must be a way to come at least close to it.

Comments

  • I'm not sure how you could redefine the win in this game, though.

    Since its inception its always been really firmly defined- to win as survivor you escape, to win as killer you get at least three kills. You'd have to really dramatically change the game at its core to change those win conditions, I'm genuinely not sure how you'd even go about changing that, or what it'd be changed to.

    Are you thinking there'd be some kind of new mechanic, or? How would you make it clear the win condition is different?

  • Hm, yes true... I guess I should have called this thread different, sorry, I wasn't thinking lol! I changed the title of the threat, I hope it's easier to understand what I mean now.

    So, let me try rephrase it: The biggest problem is the condition to rise or fall in MMR: killing or escaping. Does this make more sense now?

    Now again, I think the overall performance in a match should decide in what MMR you get put. Like, maybe having 2 Iri emblems, one gold emblem and one bronze emblem is in the "Final Emblem" or "Average Emblem" a Gold or Silver? Maybe Iri and Gold let you rise, Silver stay in the MMR you are in and Bronze lets you fall in MMR? I truly have no idea, but something like this? Anything so the whole actions of a person in the game is taken into account and not only an escape or kill.

  • @caramelpudding said:

    Hm, yes true... I guess I should have called this thread different, sorry, I wasn't thinking lol! I changed the title of the threat, I hope it's easier to understand what I mean now.

    So, let me try rephrase it: The biggest problem is the condition to rise or fall in MMR: killing or escaping. Does this make more sense now?

    Now again, I think the overall performance in a match should decide in what MMR you get put. Like, maybe having 2 Iri emblems, one gold emblem and one bronze emblem is in the "Final Emblem" or "Average Emblem" a Gold or Silver? Maybe Iri and Gold let you rise, Silver stay in the MMR you are in and Bronze lets you fall in MMR? I truly have no idea, but something like this? Anything so the whole actions of a person in the game is taken into account and not only an escape or kill.

    Oh- I see, yes, this is another MMR system thread.

    There's a lot of reasons why MMR systems like the one in Dead By Daylight only look at your winrate. It's the most consistent, reliable proxy for skill at the game that there is- add too many requirements and you get the disaster of the emblem system's matchmaking, where you have to play in a super arbitrary way in order to raise your rank. Now, that was a problem also because it wasn't very hard, but it still isn't a good idea.

    Having the MMR based on your winrate is the expected normal, there's no reason why this game should be any different. If players are taking it as some kind of weird incentive, that isn't the MMR system's fault-- BHVR just need to make it more clear that you're not supposed to be actively gunning for maxing your MMR.

  • @jesterkind said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3079594#Comment_3079594

    Oh- I see, yes, this is another MMR system thread.

    There's a lot of reasons why MMR systems like the one in Dead By Daylight only look at your winrate. It's the most consistent, reliable proxy for skill at the game that there is- add too many requirements and you get the disaster of the emblem system's matchmaking, where you have to play in a super arbitrary way in order to raise your rank. Now, that was a problem also because it wasn't very hard, but it still isn't a good idea.

    Having the MMR based on your winrate is the expected normal, there's no reason why this game should be any different. If players are taking it as some kind of weird incentive, that isn't the MMR system's fault-- BHVR just need to make it more clear that you're not supposed to be actively gunning for maxing your MMR.

    To compound, not only is kills/escapes (IE, winning) the universal measuring stick for a reason, the other methods are incredibly weak.

    Imagine measuring by hooks? Killer hooks everyone twice, everyone gets out, who wins? If you told Survivors they absolutely lost that, even though they escaped, would it make sense? Should the killer be told they lost when that got 8 or 9 hooks?

    If you don't measure the most appropriate statistic, you end up with extremes where it should look like both sides won or lost. Once you have that, you have MMR inflation and it's all downhill from there.